Interesting comment by Pruitt during his postgame press conference

Well...just how good is going from 0-8 to 5-3 in the SEC in 2 years??

CJP has the VOLS above .500 in the SEC for only the 2nd time since 2007.

You ______'s might just want to think about that before you continue finding fault with our Head Ball Coach...

SMH
Your reading comprehension skills leave a lot to be desired.

Your reading comprehension skills leave a lot to be desired.

POT---meet kettle.

CJP was in no way trying to brag on himself....watch the tape again...

He was trying to convey the depths into which the program had fallen when he took over...

The worst record in the history of UT football....0-8 in the SEC....only 1 true SEC caliber OL in Smith.....and no real SEC caliber QB on the roster.
A bunch of guys who did not know what it meant to experience a true SEC strength and conditioning program.
A bunch of guys who did not now how to practice like a true SEC program....

He went from a NC team and elite program into an environment that had produced a program failing to win 1 single SEC game....

You twisted those facts all around into a conclusion that CJP's statements were a "...weird mix...and bragging on himself..."

and then you conclude that I lack reading and comprehension skills.....

I'm not your problem, Bub.

Some of those are closer to excuses than anything Butch ever said, IMO. And Pruitt gets a pass because he occasionally utters the standard coach's disclaimer that ultimate responsibility rests with him. Butch said the same thing, but it's mostly forgotten or dismissed in hindsight.

And you did not just ask for excuses, BTW. My point was that Pruitt has said dumb things similar to those Butch is often criticized for. That's why I included some items that are clearly not intended to be examples of excuses. You asked me to be specific, so I obliged.

The point I'm trying to make is that none of this is new. Pruitt gets a pass now because we still have hope. Past coaches get roasted for petty things that pretty much all coaches say and do. The only thing that really matters is results. Our coach could be the goofiest clown God ever created and we would love him as long as he won.

Speak for yourself on the giving the coaches a pass.... I hated the decision to hire Kiffin every day he was here but kept my bullets in the gun because that was in the best interest of the guys between the lines.... I was SUSPICIOUS of him becuase of his exit from Oakland for sure... I feared he would get us in the NCAA doghouse and then leave.... we were saved for the most part due to his short tenure.... I was hopeful with Butch, but was never confident in his abilities to get us back and the guy in the middle was a reach because of Kiffin... regardless of sequence none of them ever got close to being a P5 calibler head coach... all of this due to a previous bad decision at AD..... great book keeper, bad visionary... I had no problem with CPF's job being in play back in the day, but if you don't have better arrows in the quiver don't chunk the one you got...

I don't pretend to know how this chapter will turn out, but the plan he shared with CPF and the staff he has put together far exceeds the other guys for dealing in the SEC... Kiffin had some talented guys, but it appeared to me the character coefficient was way low.... as evidenced by Coach O's efforts to get early guys already on campus to not go to class and we paid them all to get them here... I bet he called them on a UT phone on a day he got paid for by UT... I will never pull for LSU as long as he is there... won't pull against them either... better for the conference if they win...

But the insinuation YOU made that most of US are blindly supporting the guy because he has on our hat is just not acceptable.... keep it up and I will place you in the same hopper with Coach O....

As long as you're happy with 8 or 9 wins a year and Taxslayer/Liberty bowl berths being the ceiling for his program, no I guess he doesn't. If you really think we're going to compete with Georgia, Florida, LSU, and Alabama for the SEC with recruiting classes not cracking the top 10 then you are seriously naive. I don't know what Pruitt needs to do to kick it in gear with recruiting but he needs to act sooner rather than later.
we did with uga for a while this year so......
and played bama pretty well as well.....

but hey, it doesnt fit the whining ur doing so u win

Reactions: garbear
Speak for yourself on the giving the coaches a pass.... I hated the decision to hire Kiffin every day he was here but kept my bullets in the gun because that was in the best interest of the guys between the lines.... I was SUSPICIOUS of him becuase of his exit from Oakland for sure... I feared he would get us in the NCAA doghouse and then leave.... we were saved for the most part due to his short tenure.... I was hopeful with Butch, but was never confident in his abilities to get us back and the guy in the middle was a reach because of Kiffin... regardless of sequence none of them ever got close to being a P5 calibler head coach... all of this due to a previous bad decision at AD..... great book keeper, bad visionary... I had no problem with CPF's job being in play back in the day, but if you don't have better arrows in the quiver don't chunk the one you got...

I don't pretend to know how this chapter will turn out, but the plan he shared with CPF and the staff he has put together far exceeds the other guys for dealing in the SEC... Kiffin had some talented guys, but it appeared to me the character coefficient was way low.... as evidenced by Coach O's efforts to get early guys already on campus to not go to class and we paid them all to get them here... I bet he called them on a UT phone on a day he got paid for by UT... I will never pull for LSU as long as he is there... won't pull against them either... better for the conference if they win...

But the insinuation YOU made that most of US are blindly supporting the guy because he has on our hat is just not acceptable.... keep it up and I will place you in the same hopper with Coach O....

As long as I can collect the same paycheck he gets.

Anyway, I never said most and I never said blind. Never even thought it. Just pointing out that many of us are giving Pruitt the benefit of the doubt now because he's still yet to prove us wrong. Not such a controversial assertion, really.

And the coaches have stated that JG gives us the best opportunities. That's not saying he still can't complete a screen pass and doesn't still throw behind receivers. The other two are just not there yet. Doesn't mean they can't get there. These additional practices along with spring practice will be very good for the young guys.

I just think Pruitt's mind is already made up who the qb is and its jg for him. And no one else will be given a legitimate chance to compete for the job. Jg will start next year and cost us more losses. I was trying to figure out how many games we won this year against sec teams with jg starting? Jg does play better when he doesn't start.

Umm I hate it beak it too you but that‘s the way things work in the real world. If he doesn’t meet expectations he loses support and gets ran.

Then surely you understand that your record is out here for the masses to read and examine apply analysis which obviously many have done and found that your actions as a VOL on a board did not meet their EXPECTATIONS. It is really that simple. You are free to continue to play the cutesy gad fly card within the board rules as are those that believe the program would be better if you just picked another team to SUPPORT. Analysis is what analysis is.... the length of this thread is pretty telling as well...

we did with uga for a while this year so......
and played bama pretty well as well.....

but hey, it doesnt fit the whining ur doing so u win

I wasn't aware that stating the truth was considered "whining" but hey, whatever helps you sleep at night.

Anythime you have lost to Vandy twice before he arrived, You know how deep the hole was. It some time to get some of the chafe out and get the others to buy in. It happened this year and you see what happened, even with limited talen in a number of positions. The team is beginning to take place and I am anxious to see the talent recruited this and next year. We Will be competitive with the big boys in 2021.

Then surely you understand that your record is out here for the masses to read and examine apply analysis which obviously many have done and found that your actions as a VOL on a board did not meet their EXPECTATIONS. It is really that simple. You are free to continue to play the cutesy gad fly card within the board rules as are those that believe the program would be better if you just picked another team to SUPPORT. Analysis is what analysis is.... the length of this thread is pretty telling as well...

I'm hurt, really hurt that you think I don't meet the expectations to be a Vol fan or member of this board.

I'm with you my piggy friend.

I have caught crap for saying this in other threads; our record is 7-5... but this is not a 7-5 team. Talent wise we are a solid 6-6.

Before I decide on the merits of this statement, I'd like you to show your work.

You're looking at talent, right? It seems as if you're simultaneously saying that records don't matter (because you get to arbitrarily adjust records), but that they matter so much that you get to arbitrarily adjust records based on a comparison of records? That makes my head spin.

Either that or you're saying that this is a 6-6 team that somehow over-performed to 7-5? But that, if this is a conversation about talent, requires believing that the talent is somehow less than Bama, UGA, Florida, GSU and BYU (and another mystery team) but also better than SCAR, Mizzou, KY and Vandy, etc?

Or maybe I'm just completely misunderstanding the basis of your statement?

Perhaps the more consistent and verifiable evaluation, if we're looking at talent, is that this team was a 9 win team that won 7 games? That accounts for under-performances against the less talented GSU and BYU teams, but explains every other W or L on the schedule without any sort of mental gymnastics.

Reactions: Behr
We beat the teams in conference we were supposed to beat. Something we haven’t done in forever. We’re not yet to the point of complaining about the quality of conference wins, imo. We took care of business in the conference, if you will.

This is correct, and it's a good sign, but makes the first two games even more head-scratching.

Reactions: Behr
I just think Pruitt's mind is already made up who the qb is and its jg for him. And no one else will be given a legitimate chance to compete for the job. Jg will start next year and cost us more losses. I was trying to figure out how many games we won this year against sec teams with jg starting? Jg does play better when he doesn't start.

Yes with the exception of the Mizzou game.

If I’m not mistaken we beat 2 teams this season with winning records so I’m going to wait to judge .

Technically, not correct...
Overall Record 7-5, 7 wins against opponents of only 2 losing records. All 4 OOC had no losing records.
Conference Record 5-3, Only 2 teams with losing records (Vandy & SC)
Of 5 losses, none had losing records. 3 were against ranked opponents, most likely all top 10 rank at seasons end.
All but 2 of our opponents are bowl eligeable.
Wins against ranked opponents = 0. Bit of a skid mark.

What we realistically should have been, 9-3. With a outside shot at 10-2. But, that's why you play the games.

we need to wait until the CFP selects their 4. I hoping LSU crushes Georgia but if the dawgs should upset LSU they might both get in...but assuming they don’t the SEC teams not in the playoff will probably be ranked:
Georgia
Alabama
Florida
Auburn
TAMU
Tennessee
Kentucky
Miss State

So we probably get an Indiana or similar...

There's possibilities for a good bowl opponent...

UT, TAMU, UK all finished 7-5. I think UT will rank higher than the other two based on the playout of the season. Both TAMU and KY had scattered losses, some bad, throughout the season. Where as we sucked early on, and ended up playing lights out and taking 6/7. And only 2 of our opponents at seasons end had losing records. And 3/5 losses were at the hands of 3 of the top ranked teams. I think we will get a team a bit above our record. They will be pissed and complaining about playing us, be unprepared and get curb stomped.

Technically, not correct...
Overall Record 7-5, 7 wins against opponents of only 2 losing records. All 4 OOC had no losing records.
Conference Record 5-3, Only 2 teams with losing records (Vandy & SC)
Of 5 losses, none had losing records. 3 were against ranked opponents, most likely all top 10 rank at seasons end.
All but 2 of our opponents are bowl eligeable.
Wins against ranked opponents = 0. Bit of a skid mark.

What we realistically should have been, 9-3. With a outside shot at 10-2. But, that's why you play the games.

UK and UAB were the only two teams we beat with a winning record, everyone else was .500 or less.

UK and UAB were the only two teams we beat with a winning record, everyone else was .500 or less.

Everyone we beat was 7-5 or less...

Only 2 were under .500, which is a losing record.

7-5 or better = winning record.
6-6 = bland. neither here nor there, but not losing.
5-6 or worse = losing record.

Asked about how far the program has come...

"Unless you were here the first day that I walked in this building, I don't think you understand how far we actually have come. Coach Fulmer was here. It's a long ways. I can assure you that."
I think that was when Pruitt asked where are all the big guys, after he met the team.

Everyone we beat was 7-5 or less...

Only 2 were under .500, which is a losing record.

7-5 or better = winning record.
6-6 = bland. neither here nor there, but not losing.
5-6 or worse = losing record.

I think you need to re-check your numbers. Only 2 with winning records, .500 isn't a winning record.

UAB 9-3
Chattanooga 6-6
Mis State 6-6
USC 4-8
UK 7-5
Mizzu 6-6
Vandy 3-9

Conversely UF, who went 10-2...

Of 10 overall wins, only 3 FBS opponents were above .500. Another 2 wins against FCS opponents that were 7-5, verses only one game for us against FCS. Their only quality win was against a 9-3 Auburn team. So, even at 10-2, they only have 1 quality win. Nothing we can do about how the opponents work out down the stretch.

I think you need to re-check your numbers. Only 2 with winning records, .500 isn't a winning record.

UAB 9-3
Chattanooga 6-6
Mis State 6-6
USC 4-8
UK 7-5
Mizzu 6-6
Vandy 3-9

I think you need to check your numbers. .500 is not a losing record either.

We went 5-3 conference. SEC to be exact. We have no control over the outcome of the other teams except whether or not we beat them.

I think you need to check your numbers. .500 is not a losing record either.

We went 5-3 conference. SEC to be exact. We have no control over the outcome of the other teams except whether or not we beat them.

I never said "losing record" I said only two wins against teams with winning records.

VN Store

Back