Youch - Luke, Odom and Morris all fired this season...

There have been a lot of bad firings this year IMO.

Taggart inherited a rebuilding job similar to the one Pruitt inherited, but got canned after 1.5 years. Morris did poorly, but he also inherited talent that was totally unsuited for his own offense and needed at least 3-4 years to conceivably succeed. Luke was the sacrificial lamb at Ole Miss; no coach was going to succeed there under probation, but Luke actually did a reasonable job. Odom got dealt a bad hand with Mizzou on probation.

Meanwhile, the coach that most deserves to get fired (Muschamp) gets to stick around for another year. Muschamp has inherited two programs in good shape and managed to turn them both into losing programs.

Charlie Strong deserved to get the ax. He ran the program that Willie Taggart built up into the ground.

Kiffin will definitely get a look somewhere; maybe Arkansas or Florida State. Norvell is about to get a big raise regardless of whether he stays or goes.

I think Taggart is a very good coach who got screwed over at FSU. Good chance South Florida rehires him.

Why does Charlie Strong keep getting jobs?? For the life of me I can’t figure it out.

It would not surprise me if Rich Rodriguez were named the Ole Miss Head Coach. (would they do that to Luke, an ole miss alum?) Sadly, Luke just isn't HC material.

Why does Charlie Strong keep getting jobs?? For the life of me I can’t figure it out.

He did look good at Louisville, but it does seem like that was more Teddy Bridgewater than Strong. Probably similar to the way Butch Jones suddenly looked better with Josh Dobbs.

Felt like he didn't get a fair shake at Texas, so I think that's why he got hired at USF. But tough to argue for him any more. He took one of the easier AAC jobs and looked terrible.

Muschamp will not be fired! He had one of the toughest schedules in all of football; while losing his top 2 quarterbacks while playing a 3rd string transfer in all 12 games.
they Lose to #1 Bama, #1 Clemson, Beat #3 Georgia, Ky, lose to Fla. Tenn. Texas A M. The only bad loss was to Appalachian State.

You are right tough schedule and everybody they lost to is in a Bowl and 4 of them top 10, App State 20th. Them and T A&M had toughest schedule in nation.

Reactions: amorange
He did look good at Louisville, but it does seem like that was more Teddy Bridgewater than Strong. Probably similar to the way Butch Jones suddenly looked better with Josh Dobbs.

Felt like he didn't get a fair shake at Texas, so I think that's why he got hired at USF. But tough to argue for him any more. He took one of the easier AAC jobs and looked terrible.

You know Saban looked better with Tua.

No AD on the hot seat himself will touch Kiffin. His main drawing card previously was that he had an excellent staff to bring including Ed Orgeron and his dad Monte who is now too old. Kiffin is where he belongs - crowds about 5000 a game in a low level conference - tweet and showboat around and few notice. Operating a major program with high expectations is beyond his capabilities.

Strong has always been an overrated HC throughout his career.

Never understood why some of our fans thought he was so great.

Strong has always been an overrated HC throughout his career.

Never understood why some of our fans thought he was so great.

It seems that Strong might have been a PC hire. While a good DC at UF, he has failed at every HC Job. I watched SF a little this season, and Charlie looked lost on the sideline.

No AD on the hot seat himself will touch Kiffin. His main drawing card previously was that he had an excellent staff to bring including Ed Orgeron and his dad Monte who is now too old. Kiffin is where he belongs - crowds about 5000 a game in a low level conference - tweet and showboat around and few notice. Operating a major program with high expectations is beyond his capabilities.

Wow. Just watch LK get a Bigger job right after his team plays in their conference title game. Just watch.

It’s a good bet that Kiffin ends up at 1 of these spots
I was looking at some of the ARK postings on one of their boards on the topic, and, for me, it really is still "too soon" to view the comments on their coaching search and not cringe. They're tracking planes to Kiffin...seems their top one and all the crazy rumor stuff.

Seeing all these coaching changes reminds of when we got Butch, because we almost had Strong and I was so glad we didn't get Charlie. In retrospect, I'm still glad we didn't hire Strong. Wish he'd passed on Butch too....

I look at these firings as recruiting opportunities. Ole Miss has a 4 star DB commit from middle Tennessee...wonder if the coach firing and our return from the grave might make him reconsider?

Realistically Vandy and uSCjr coulda fired their coaches too. Think Vandy made a good choice in keeping Mason. Dunno what the hell USCjr is doing by keeping Muschamp
love that they are keeping mason,, he threw all the QBs under the bus. his recruiting is bad, and I like to see him lose

Reactions: Smokeyman
Seeing all these coaching changes reminds of when we got Butch, because we almost had Strong and I was so glad we didn't get Charlie. In retrospect, I'm still glad we didn't hire Strong. Wish he'd passed on Butch too....

The problem with that search was there weren't really an "A" type coaches out there. Strong and Butch looked like the best options at the time. Both were bad. I don't really fault Hart much for that.

It's more the 2008 and 2009 / 2010 searches that I'm still angry about. We could've very easily had Gary Patterson, Mike Leach, or David Cutcliffe and Hamilton, in his infinite wisdom, went for a coach who was a complete disaster with the Oakland Raiders (Kiffin) and a coach with a 17-20 record in the WAC (Dooley). Say what you will about Kiffin, but he was not reading for a major head coaching gig at that time. I think he's more ready now, but he was better as an OC then. And Dooley has never shown anything to justify being a Head Coach or even an OC anywhere at the time.

OK. FLAT was a perennial 3-8 team. Kiffin has an 11 win season (2017) and in the CUSA Championship game again this year. Hardly average. Hey; I Hate him for screwing us too; but the guy can coach.

I hate how he did us but Kiffin like the devil has to be given his due. His only college head coaching gig he failed at was at USC, which was under heavy sanctions from Pete Carroll. He must have thought he'd be given leeway there because of that and it didn't happen. Otherwise, at UT and so far his CUSA gig in Florida have been successes. He took a Vols team to Tuscaloosa with two walkons on the OL had the state of Alabama puckered up until the last play of the game. The guy can coach.

OK. FLAT was a perennial 3-8 team. Kiffin has an 11 win season (2017) and in the CUSA Championship game again this year. Hardly average. Hey; I Hate him for screwing us too; but the guy can coach.
He had an 11 win season his first year and a 5-7 last year. He did what any of us would have done, I don't blame him for that. He's an average coach. Look at his record everywhere he's been. IMO he's dangerous because he'll probably be an 8-4 coach on average, but be just good enough every year to have that one win against a big team and screw their season. I'd bet money he would never win anything of significance in the SEC.

Jmo though. I think he's a big mouth child that's way overrated. He should stay where he is, but I'd love to see him at FSU. If I'm wrong, he'll be perfect there. If I'm right, maybe that one big game he wins every year will be against Florida. Either way, Florida be a bullseye. Lol.

Reactions: VolFreakJosh
He had an 11 win season his first year and a 5-7 last year. He did what any of us would have done, I don't blame him for that. He's an average coach. Look at his record everywhere he's been. IMO he's dangerous because he'll probably be an 8-4 coach on average, but be just good enough every year to have that one win against a big team and screw their season. I'd bet money he would never win anything of significance in the SEC.

Jmo though. I think he's a big mouth child that's way overrated. He should stay where he is, but I'd love to see him at FSU. If I'm wrong, he'll be perfect there. If I'm right, maybe that one big game he wins every year will be against Florida. Either way, Florida be a bullseye. Lol.

Pretty much.

Kiffin gets too much credit than he actually deserves.

VN Store

Back