For those who care about his opinion, Coach Mathews show.

Finishing with his pet peeve.
Need to sign more in state players.
They care more about winning for in state school.
However, he concedes that the in state players we have “missed on” were not huge disappointments to our staff.
Thinks our staff does an excellent job analyzing high school talent.
That’s it guys and gals.
Enjoy your Sunday.
Go Vols!

Program in pretty good shape overall.
Next step is getting elite players in some places.
Again talking needing a QB.
Has not mentioned any names which is typical of him. He rarely bashes players he doesn’t think are performing. But, reading between the lines, I don’t think he’s wild about Harrison Bailey.
Says Chaney is huge get and Ansley dies well under a Pruitt’s guidance.
Says Tee has been good addition.
Says he “doesn’t know” how well Weinke and Friend did this year...hmmm.
We are an 8-4 football program right now. (Actually, 7-5,but he’s talking metaphorically, I guess).
I'll take that for the next year or so...that at least puts us in relevance zone. Either JG comes back and has a story book senior year from performance stand point, or think Bailey or Maurer get the chance. I'm all for JG to do great! But, yesterday good example of who he's been. All SEC type play then disappear...guess rain had something to do with it, but JG needs to work on his short pass game. 20+ yard passes are very good...towards top of SEC.

I'll take that for the next year or so...that at least puts us in relevance zone. Either JG comes back and has a story book senior year from performance stand point, or think Bailey or Maurer get the chance. I'm all for JG to do great! But, yesterday good example of who he's been. All SEC type play then disappear...guess rain had something to do with it, but JG needs to work on his short pass game. 20+ yard passes are very good...towards top of SEC.
I don't get why he still constantly throws behind his receivers.

He didn’t mention Bailey.....hmmmm.

Doubtful that Bailey will honor his commitment. He has undoubtedly seen what we have all seen, i.e. two better quarterbacks sitting on the bench behind the teacher's pet.

Why would he come here and deal with that?

I don't get why he still constantly throws behind his receivers.

Because he's a scrub.

Last edited:
Reactions: jacvols and 08Vol
Finishing with his pet peeve.
Need to sign more in state players.
They care more about winning for in state school.
However, he concedes that the in state players we have “missed on” were not huge disappointments to our staff.
Thinks our staff does an excellent job analyzing high school talent.
That’s it guys and gals.
Enjoy your Sunday.
Go Vols!
TY for the transcription, appreciated!!

Doubtful that Bailey will honor his commitment. He has undoubtedly seen what we have all seen, i.e. two better quarterbacks sitting on the bench behind the teacher's pet.

Why would he come here and deal with that?
Agree. Bailey was clearly reconsidering yesterday. (From his thread in the recruiting forum).

1575217321654.png

Doug hedged some. Said there are in-state guys the staff wants but we won't get. Then said some in-state guys who are going elsewhere are not priorities for the staff. I listen to Doug. He has clearly stated that he is putting a positive spin on everything he talks about concerning Vols football right now. He's not taking calls, which he has in the past, because he doesn't want to debate. For now, the show is about as milquetoast as it gets but I still listen.

Reactions: 08Vol and Vfl2407
Says we are back on the level of most other SEC teams talent wise.
Still a ways to go to catch the three best teams that we play each year, Bama, UF, UGA.
We aren’t nearly as physical as those teams yet.
Need some game changer playmakers on both sides of ball.
That’s what separates us now from upper tier teams like LSU, Auburn.
Biggest need is speed at WR.

will LSU have that next yr? Ol Joe gonna be a Cincinnati Bengal.
AU gonna lose that defense.

Reactions: feathersax
For those of yall worried to death about WR next year...there will be some fall off, but Palmer and Johnson will be back. Plus the freshman from this year Keyton, and our committ coming in was just crowned the "fastest man at the Opening " when he was laser timed at 4.31 in his 40yd dash...palmer will be great as our posession receiver. Hopefully one of the younger kids can stretch the field with their speed and keep those safeties from stacking the box against the run every snap.

Our biggest problem next year will be our schedule, not WR...we will do great to go 8 and 4 with this schedule. Now 2021...we should be looking to challenge for the east with 2 of the best OT in the country and 2 of the best LB in Tootoo and Crouch...

Go Vols!!! We are finally coming out of this hole!!!!

VN Store

Back