BTO’s Florida State postgame report

bleedingTNorange

1. If you didn’t watch the game you’d probably shrug your shoulders and say not really a surprising result...however when you watch the game and look at the box score you scratch your head and can only ask WTF happened? Not sure if Turner was dealing with an illness or what, but 21 turnovers is absolutely dreadful.

2. You hold a team to 35% fg/27%3pt and outrebound them and you expect to win that game probably 99% of the time...really the only way to lose that game is to just turn it over and as a result give your opponent 12 more shots than you get. The good news is that Barnes is a guy who harps I’m taking care of the ball and so I would expect that area to improve, the bad news is I’m not sure how we get to that resolution?

3. The lone bright spot imo was Yves Pons, comes away with a double-double 13pts 10rbds 50%fg and only 1 turnover in that sloppy game, really nice outing yet again from him. His willingness to contest any shot at the rim regardless of possibly getting dunked on is a pleasant sight, he’s gotta continue to improve his shot and handle but he’s really developing into a nice player.

4. Point blank Turner/Bowden/Fulk have to be better...those guys are the veterans on the team and are going to be counted on, if they don’t play well this team isn’t going anywhere. Fulk was non-existent, Bowden didn’t look to score enough and just didn’t play very well, and Turner was a mess out there although looked much better the final 7-8 minutes of the game. Again, these guys have to bring it each night, and they’ve gotta set the bar for the others behind them.

5. I’m sure many will freak out that we lost, news flash...it won’t hurt. A good team on a neutral court falls into the “good loss” category, the key is learning from it and also not letting today’s game carry into tomorrow. Walk away from Florida 0-2 and the mood and outlook changes quite a bit, win tomorrow and most of that same optimism is still there around this team.

GBO!!!

I don’t think anyone should freak out. We’re going to lose some games. With this much turnover in our roster we’re going to look bad at times. Problem is it shouldn’t come from our veterans. That’s got to change.
Agree. This team is going to struggle at times. Won’t be the last time. We should improve though as the season progresses.

Pons was prob the best player on the floor tonight.

Don’t get me wrong, he isn’t the best player, but in that game.........he prob was for either team.

13 points, 10 rebounds, 50%, 3 blocked shots, 3 of 4 from the line and only 2 fouls given (vs all that size)....

Second most points for either team, most rebounds of either team, most blocks of either team.

Probably needed to shoot it a bit more.

Thanks BTO great breakdown of what really happened and tbh it was a matter of time. It's not like what happened tonight is new this is just the first team that was able to take advantage of our turnovers to that extent. JJJ needs to find his shot badly that or we need to move him to PG. As it is now the only consistent scorer on the team is Pons....wtf I just said that and it's true. If someone had said that 3 weeks ago they'd have been made fun of and deserved it. Now it's a fact.

Last edited:
Reactions: B-A-Vol
People may disagree, but “size” of opponents shouldn’t be much of a factor this season.

FSU is the biggest team in the nation (and Washington is one of the biggest), and I don’t think “size” was much of a factor.

Poor passing, bad judgment, lazy passing, and bad ball handling (at times).......along with really bad shooting.

Also Tennessee’s D is really good.

1. If you didn’t watch the game you’d probably shrug your shoulders and say not really a surprising result...however when you watch the game and look at the box score you scratch your head and can only ask WTF happened? Not sure if Turner was dealing with an illness or what, but 21 turnovers is absolutely dreadful.

2. You hold a team to 35% fg/27%3pt and outrebound them and you expect to win that game probably 99% of the time...really the only way to lose that game is to just turn it over and as a result give your opponent 12 more shots than you get. The good news is that Barnes is a guy who harps I’m taking care of the ball and so I would expect that area to improve, the bad news is I’m not sure how we get to that resolution?

3. The lone bright spot imo was Yves Pons, comes away with a double-double 13pts 10rbds 50%fg and only 1 turnover in that sloppy game, really nice outing yet again from him. His willingness to contest any shot at the rim regardless of possibly getting dunked on is a pleasant sight, he’s gotta continue to improve his shot and handle but he’s really developing into a nice player.

4. Point blank Turner/Bowden/Fulk have to be better...those guys are the veterans on the team and are going to be counted on, if they don’t play well this team isn’t going anywhere. Fulk was non-existent, Bowden didn’t look to score enough and just didn’t play very well, and Turner was a mess out there although looked much better the final 7-8 minutes of the game. Again, these guys have to bring it each night, and they’ve gotta set the bar for the others behind them.

5. I’m sure many will freak out that we lost, news flash...it won’t hurt. A good team on a neutral court falls into the “good loss” category, the key is learning from it and also not letting today’s game carry into tomorrow. Walk away from Florida 0-2 and the mood and outlook changes quite a bit, win tomorrow and most of that same optimism is still there around this team.

GBO!!!

This team will continue to have a hard time unless we develop a bench and depth. Our starting five are just not strong enough to carry us through the season all by themselves, especially when we shoot 33 percent from the field like tonight. Our Achilles Heel remains the bench, which produced two points, four turnovers and five rebounds tonight.

I don’t think anyone should freak out. We’re going to lose some games. With this much turnover in our roster we’re going to look bad at times. Problem is it shouldn’t come from our veterans. That’s got to change.
Me either, but, we can not live with 21 turnovers and shooting under 40%. I think Gains earned more playing time with his play in the second half. We gave up a lot of TOS with predictable passes on offense. Still we played a physically superior team to the final seconds of the game. This team does not give up and will be a much better team by the SEC schedule comes around. Tonight’s game presents the opportunity to learn a lot of basketball. We have a coaching staff which will make us a good basketball team.

I don't have much in the way of expectations for this team, considering the amount of talent we lost from last season. But we seem to have enough to beat a team like Florida State. We have just been struggling to make a shot lately and that continued tonight. Getting a layup to fall is a chore. And we did everything we could do to give the game away. FSU is going to have to file paperwork with the IRS to account for the charity they received tonight.

21 TOs to 5 assists ain't winning you many games.

That and this team will have to be up around 50% from the field to have a chance against good teams. 30% from the field and 20% from 3 isn't gonna do much against the good teams.

We're lucky FSU didn't shoot it much better or I'td been a 20 point game.

The team seemed to play hard and I credit them for that. But the unforced turnovers were awful tonight. FSU is a good team and they did some things to cause a lot of problems tonight, but we didn't help ourselves out much tonight.

This team will have nights like tonight. You just hope they continue to improve.

Reactions: savannahfan
Pons was prob the best player on the floor tonight.

Don’t get me wrong, he isn’t the best player, but in that game.........he prob was for either team.

13 points, 10 rebounds, 50%, 3 blocked shots, 3 of 4 from the line and only 2 fouls given (vs all that size)....

Second most points for either team, most rebounds of either team, most blocks of either team.

Probably needed to shoot it a bit more.

He also played his game whereas none of the other upperclassmen did.

Reactions: JoAllan
Im honestly amazed the game ended up being so close. Our shooting from the first few weeks was unsustainable and it regressed to the mean HARD tonight, Florida State was a bad matchup and a good team, and we played one of the worst games of the last year plus (SEC tourney loss to Auburn was pretty bad and much later in the year and thus more surprising). I think this will work as an expectation adjuster for some, should still be good to win 18 games or so. PS Yves is awesome, and I think Barnes should’ve taken Lamonte out from a bit and inserted JJJ when Lamonte was either turning it over or forcing a shot every possession, he was pressing

Reactions: VOLED
I hope Gaines evolves to take over 10-15 minutes at the point, and give Lamonte a breather, and maybe let him play the 2 some.

Offense looks dysfunctional to me. Maybe it's just because of the turnovers and missed shots.
But it just seems like there isn't enough ball movement.

It did

However a lot of that came from FSU’s D. Their good, tight D kept Tennessee’s motion O in check.......but Tennessee simply shot the ball really bad, and made a lot of unforced turnovers.

On a bright spot, with Tennessee’s D, they should be able to play with most teams in the SEC........even if Tennessee has a bad night offensively.

Turner had cramps in the second half and really battled while Pons had a terrific game defensively and Fulkerson was non existent tonight and it looks like he will be inconsistent offensively.

I hope we play Virginia Commonwealth tomorrow because Purdue is another long limbed team and we have played against them a lot in the last few years.

We played pretty bad on offense tonight. I also thought the officiating was horrible. Lots of missed calls...a few benefitted UT but most went FSU's way. The charge on Turner, Fulk's 5th foul, several travels, should have been a tech on the dunk n pull up and several fouls on offensive rebounds.

This game doesn't worry me too much. Weird court where several shots went in and out, favorable officiating that played to FSU size/physical play and a very off night by Turner. I do think we badly need a second PG(Vescovi) and JJJ needs to be more aggressive. I saw several opportunities for him to bring it up the court and drive that he passed up.

We won't play a team with that size for a while.

VN Store

Back