Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Regarding UConn and Dangerfield: She's a Senior AND the PG … it's her team this year... all hers … this year's team goes as far as she takes it.

Agreed. You see how dependent South Carolina is on freshmen, and you don't see Dawn playing a chicken**** schedule. Let's see which team is more prepared for a conference/postseason run...
It’s been Vic who has been more prepared the past two years despite playing a weaker schedule, so I highly doubt that has affected his ability to prepare his team.

South Carolina is a much better team this year. They have two experienced veterans in Harris and Herbert-Harrigan. If I could choose any position to have an experienced vet, I’d choose a PG and Ty is a terrific one. They start I think three freshmen, but they bring off some more experienced players off the bench.

It’s been Vic who has been more prepared the past two years despite playing a weaker schedule, so I highly doubt that has affected his ability to prepare his team.
Vic had the biggest and strongest player in the SEC and arguably the best center in the country the last two years. Which is more the exception than the rule, even considering how talented his squad is this season, and I think kind of obscures things in hindsight. The preparation question really comes into play when you don't have that type of dominating player on the court. Don't get me wrong--I think his team has all the pieces for a deep tournament run and a top 2 or 3 finish in the SEC. I just feel like they'd be more of a lock than they are if they were tested against better programs throughout the season.

Dawn had a down year after she lost Wilson and a few others, but still scheduled tough. And guess what, their returning players are more poised and experienced for it this year.

Reactions: 1reVOLver
Vic had the biggest and strongest player in the SEC and arguably the best center in the country the last two years. Which is more the exception than the rule, even considering how talented his squad is this season, and I think kind of obscures things in hindsight. The preparation question really comes into play when you don't have that type of dominating player on the court. Don't get me wrong--I think his team has all the pieces for a deep tournament run and a top 2 or 3 finish in the SEC. I just feel like they'd be more of a lock than they are if they were tested against better programs throughout the season.

Dawn had a down year after she lost Wilson and a few others, but still scheduled tough. And guess what, their returning players are more poised and experienced for it this year.

In fairness to Vic, he had to develop McCowan. It's not like she came in as a "can't-miss" recruit. She grew tremendously as a player under his coaching.

I do think that as MSST has become more of a mainstay atop the rankings, then they will be able to start scheduling tougher games. Too bad they couldn't get Oregon on their schedule for a third year in a row.

In fairness to Vic, he had to develop McCowan. It's not like she came in as a "can't-miss" recruit. She grew tremendously as a player under his coaching.

I do think that as MSST has become more of a mainstay atop the rankings, then they will be able to start scheduling tougher games. Too bad they couldn't get Oregon on their schedule for a third year in a row.
Still kicking myself that we didn't get to see Baylor against MSST last season! Kalani Brown never gets playing time at the Sparks so it's still rare to see them against each other in the pros. That would've been awesome.

Reactions: BUBear
Note: total trivia - future opponent - air force average height of team is 5' 8" in a game against Providence they had the same number of
rb as to - 17. FYI they lost.

SC is playing Maryland, Baylor, UConn, and Indiana. Tennessee is playing Notre Dame, UConn, Stanford and Texas. I don't see where that is all that different. They are both playing a 16 game SEC schedule exactly where do the two schedules get more difficult for SC versus Tennessee or some other SEC team that is playing four top non-conference foes.

Now if they had replaced Alabama State, Dayton, Appalachian State, and USC Upstate with some better teams maybe I could see why some think their schedule is so much better. To me both playing cupcakes and both playing top teams or at least teams that were rated as top teams when the season started.
Actually Miss St has a better sos that SC and will have even after the season has ended according to the rpi sos site and Massey.

Last edited:

You mean the two seasons since Dawn won a national championship?

SC is playing Maryland, Baylor, UConn, and Indiana. Tennessee is playing Notre Dame, UConn, Stanford and Texas. I don't see where that is all that different. They are both playing a 16 game SEC schedule exactly where do the two schedules get more difficult for SC versus Tennessee or some other SEC team that is playing four top non-conference foes.

I don't know why so many are crapping on Tennessee's schedule. Notre Dame is one of the elite programs, and Texas is a traditional power. It isn't Tennessee's fault both of those programs are down this year. With road games to Stanford and UConn, in addition to the conference slate, I'm not sure what more fans are wanting.

As for MSU, it doesn't matter if they're rebuilding or not. They're always scared to play a tough OOC schedule. As passionate as that fan base has become, they deserve better. Look at the atmosphere at South Carolina when UConn comes to town...

Mo St 74 South Dakota 66 (Final) on the road at SD. South Dakota recently pounded Mizzou.

Mo St #22 in Coaches' Poll and #29 in AP poll.

Latest Creme Bracketology has Tenn as #6 seed and Mo St as #5 seed.

Make that #19 in the Coaches Poll. Don't think you can find better wins to start the season than Minnesota, Boise, OU, and USD. All on the road.

Hope we don't have a let down coming home

Last edited:
You mean the two seasons since Dawn won a national championship?
Yes, Dawn's team was simply far more talented than Vic's that year. Their games against MSU were way closer than they should have been when you look at the talent disparities.

The past two years, I'd say the talent was relatively close to even. Our 2017-18 team was light years more talented than Vic's, but somehow we proceeded to lose by 20 to them.

I posted that tongue in cheek, but it is a little eye-opening that Vandy didn't have near the trouble Tennessee did in putting them away...
Ah, ok. I guess we can assume all your posts are tongue in cheek then. 😜

"You mean the two years since Dawn won a national championship because somebody hit a lucky shot and knocked UConn out of the tourney" Tfyp

Reactions: FabSmokyVol
Yes, Dawn's team was simply far more talented than Vic's that year. Their games against MSU were way closer than they should have been when you look at the talent disparities.

The past two years, I'd say the talent was relatively close to even. Our 2017-18 team was light years more talented than Vic's, but somehow we proceeded to lose by 20 to them.

21aqbc.jpg

- So you would argue a team of Ty Harris, Kaela Davis, Allisha Gray, Alaina Coates, and A'ja Wilson was not more talented than a team of Morgan William, Victoria Vivians, Dominique Dillingham, Breanna Richardson, and Chinwe Okorie/Teaira McCowan in 2017-18. I don't think it is wrong to say South Carolina's squad was far more talented than Mississippi State's, and that would be evidenced by both rankings out of HS and WNBA performance that Dawn's team was far more talented than Vic's.

- A Tennessee starting 5 of Mercedes Russell, Jaime Nared, Evina Westbrook, Rennia Davis, and Meme Jackson was more talented than Mississippi State's of William, Vivians, McCowan, Schaefer, and Johnson. We were obviously younger, but far more talented. I guess youth played a big role there, but Schaefer and Johnson wouldn't have sniffed the floor at UT.

Regarding UConn and Dangerfield: She's a Senior AND the PG … it's her team this year... all hers … this year's team goes as far as she takes it.

Dangerfield had back spasms and didn't play at all last night. UConn won convincingly, more than doubling Dayton's score.

"You mean the two years since Dawn won a national championship because somebody hit a lucky shot and knocked UConn out of the tourney" Tfyp
Now gule you usually don't go that route but the team that beat UCONN on a bucket at the end of the game, got beat pretty soundly by South Carolina. You are now just throwing crap against the wall....that's your prerogative....but not a good argument. You are speculating at best....

MSU was still reliving the UC win when they had to play dawn's nasty gurls. And VIC S was to busy brow beating littlebit and not realizing she had nothing left to give.

Reactions: PointGuard

VN Store

Back