Game Thread: UT Lady Vols VS ARKANSAS - PINE BLUFF

I don’t know who scheduled these games, but if we a going to play mid majors we need to play the best of the lot. No disrespect to Tennessee State, Central Arkansas, APB or Stetson but we need better competition early on before we get to the meat of the schedule. We won tonight but we looked sloppy. Against bad competition that usually happens. I think that these type of games are of worse value than practice. A couple of times we allowed APB to go into the paint with little resistance. It does give everyone a chance to play and the coaches can do some teaching. I also believe that these type of games can create unnecessary injuries.
These games accomplish nothing but making some in the fan base to believe we are back. I hope KJH takes these games off of next years schedule. Even Texas they have become irrelevant so that series needs to end. In recruiting if you want to get the best players then schedule the best teams.

Reactions: teacherdean
These games accomplish nothing but making some in the fan base to believe we are back. I hope KJH takes these games off of next years schedule. Even Texas they have become irrelevant so that series needs to end. In recruiting if you want to get the best players then schedule the best teams.
39ysc2.jpg

LOL tell Maryland or Baylor that. For years their schedules cost them a number one seed in the NCAA tourney but they were still able to get really good talent.

While there may not be as many of these game they will never go away. Even Baylor, Stanford, S. Car , and Oregon have a couple of these games on their schedules. For years UConn would take their team and play lesser opponents on their court knowing it wouldn’t do anything for their SOS but they played it to expand the game. You can thank Pat Summitt for that who took her team anywhere and played on anybody’s home court because she always said she had a responsibility to expand the game.

Now the game has changed and money drives it so ADs want more home games for ticket and concessions revenue. I think we should keep teams like TN St. and East TN on the schedule because it’s an honor for them to play here. You can add in your UTCs or MTSUs to your schedule and even Belmont who will give you different looks come NCAA time. I think a lot of these lesser opponents are one year contracts which leaves you wiggle room to add to your schedule for the following year. Texas, ND, Stanford are going to be constants on the schedules no matter if they are having an up or down year and they are 3 pretty solid opponents to keep. If this UConn thing becomes thing that gives you 4 for home/home series. Throw in a team like UCLA while out west or even Gonzaga along with the SEC conference it’s only few tweaks but it makes the schedule look totally different. I don’t think it needs a complete overhaul just a change in 2-3 games.

One good thing that I saw last night was the insertion of a couple of subs at a time, instead of a total line change, like KJH has used in the past. That's one reason the offensive flow remained mostly intact through the first half, even though there were some individual mistakes and TO's.

The only thing about the game was the lack of energy in the third quarter brought back terrible memories of last season. I am glad Kellie addressed that and hopefully we want see that again. The one thing we have to see is effort for the entire game whether were losing big or winning big bring it for forty.

Given the circumstances, I wouldn’t worry too much about the lack of energy in the third. The team very well may have decided to take it down a notch or two so as to not hand A-PB the most lopsided loss in their history on the worst emotionally-awful game night in their history.

Best we all just move on and start looking forward to the next game. And then Texas. The Texas game will be the one to look at with a more critical eye, for sure.

Given the circumstances, I wouldn’t worry too much about the lack of energy in the third. The team very well may have decided to take it down a notch or two so as to not hand A-PB the most lopsided loss in their history on the worst emotionally-awful game night in their history.

Best we all just move on and start looking forward to the next game. And then Texas. The Texas game will be the one to look at with a more critical eye, for sure.
A point I hand't thought about considering what had happened to APB

I agree, it felt like that to me. It looked to me like they were told to give them two steps at the 3 and guard the paint. They hit their open shots. Some of that is risk management as well. No sense having your players going 100% when the game is already out of reach. Feelings get hurt and players get injured.

I thought we still did a lot of very good things last night. Also proved that we can score when the 3 isn't going in, nobody looked down about it. A season ago if we went 0-10 from the 3 point line we would have let it affect every aspect of the game and probably gone down to the wire.

And for our lack of defense in the third we set a program record for fewest points allowed in a period during the second quarter. APB were only able to put 4 points on the board in that quarter.

Turnovers as a team were somewhat better, turnovers as an individual were worse for Horston. She seems to get too relaxed when we get up big and tries to make the flashy pass instead of the easy pass. Half her turnovers last night should have been pull-up jumpers for her. The post was already in o-board position, she needs to call her own number and rise and fire over smaller players when she gets in the heart of the defense. Instead she was trying to make the 5 foot bullet pass and that's just plain hard to catch in traffic.

Yes thanks Ivocd for that post because it seems obvious that we really hit the slack button in the third quarter. I don't know what the reason was and if the coaches or players decided this they would never admit it. Coach Kellie didn't seem to concerned in the press conference and really now that I think about it why pummel this team after what they had been through that day.

In addition to what's already been said, these games are great for players like Saunders, Jessie, Harris and McCoy to play extended minutes. Even though the competition was inferior, they still were able to get a sense of real time game play with different lineups.

Yes thanks Ivocd for that post because it seems obvious that we really hit the slack button in the third quarter. I don't know what the reason was and if the coaches or players decided this they would never admit it. Coach Kellie didn't seem to concerned in the press conference and really now that I think about it why pummel this team after what they had been through that day.

I would agree with the second part of your sentence here, but not the first. What I have observed of Coach Harper is that she is thoughtful, articulate and direct in her responses during press conferences. She is not, however, given to public, forceful remonstration of the team members. I do not believe that this indicates a lack of concern for any problem area. Rather, she has indicated, and did in this instance, her recognition of the problem and the staff's intention to address the issue. In her post game show, in the arena, she specifically acknowledged the 3d quarter let-down and indicated they would address same. In my opinion, recognition of a problem is half the battle and a half that the previous staff often failed to understand, so I am still happier with the way this team is progressing at this point in the season than I have been in the last four years. Just my opinion.

Jim

Great idea, until Tennessee is 2-4 to start the season and we're wondering if they will even make the tournament. This program is not yet at the level to play a murderer's row schedule like they did in Pat's days. For where they are, this is a nice balance of quality opponents and cupcakes heading into the conference schedule...

In addition to what's already been said, these games are great for players like Saunders, Jessie, Harris and McCoy to play extended minutes. Even though the competition was inferior, they still were able to get a sense of real time game play with different lineups.
Nah! Playing these type teams does no one any good. If we have players at a level that benefits them playing these teams then they have no business being a lady vol.

Great idea, until Tennessee is 2-4 to start the season and we're wondering if they will even make the tournament. This program is not yet at the level to play a murderer's row schedule like they did in Pat's days. For where they are, this is a nice balance of quality opponents and cupcakes heading into the conference schedule...
Who said murderers row? Dang schedule MAC or Mountain West or middle of pack P5 schools. These teams are pitiful 🤷‍♂️

You said "schedule the best teams." Now you're backtracking and changing your argument...
Oh you must be part of the “we are back” crowd. Yes if it makes you happy how about just play schools recruits have dang at least heard of. I take back the word best if that makes you happy.

From what I saw last night, McCoy is going to be a big asset in the post once we start playing teams with some size down there.

I would agree with the second part of your sentence here, but not the first. What I have observed of Coach Harper is that she is thoughtful, articulate and direct in her responses during press conferences. She is not, however, given to public, forceful remonstration of the team members. I do not believe that this indicates a lack of concern for any problem area. Rather, she has indicated, and did in this instance, her recognition of the problem and the staff's intention to address the issue. In her post game show, in the arena, she specifically acknowledged the 3d quarter let-down and indicated they would address same. In my opinion, recognition of a problem is half the battle and a half that the previous staff often failed to understand, so I am still happier with the way this team is progressing at this point in the season than I have been in the last four years. Just my opinion.

Jim

This!
To add: My very close friend coaches a little Single-A team (Unaka). Two seasons back, we reached the State Semi-Finals, losing to the team that Greenfield beat for the title. Our post player from that, and last season's team is at Bryan College, where she made the varsity. And, there were other fine players on that little team.
But, that was then.
Last night we played Sullivan Central; they beat us 70-something to forty-something. But don't let that lop-sided score fool you: it could have been much, MUCH worse. Central is talented and experienced, with a great post player, who was actually mentioned on this particular forum as a potential Lady Vol. I believe she's committed/signed with Wofford.
Central is good. Us? Not so much. They played a lot of players, mixing starters with rookies. They continued to play hard, they trapped, pressed a little, but it was obvious they had taken their collective foot off the gas.
Because Central has a classy coach.
The Lady Vols ...We ...have a classy coach!
In the grand scheme, the third quarter, against an outmatched and emotionally overwhelmed opponent, will do little to detract from a somewhat promising season. I doubt that our incredible coaching staff will have to push the reset button to correct all that's wrong with our team.
I never played for a coach who would run the score up on an opponent. But, I've played, and coached a little, and against teams/coaches who actually enjoy beating opponents as badly as possible. I've never seen a team "improve" from running up the score.
We're at that time in the football season where the seemingly biggest concern is ...how bad team A beats team B. If you don't beat the living hell out of 'em, well, you get penalized. I understand that ...to a point (no pun intended).
Over the years/decades, I've been beat up and down by friends, family members, certain teachers and coaches, the neighborhood bully, you name it; and I played in some games that I thought might never end. And, it always seemed to rain on those nights; nothing like mud in the eyes to make the point.
Last night, we played a delicate team during the most unimaginable of circumstances.
For my part, I'd have preferred a one-point win - - - or loss.
In overtime.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Reactions: lvocd and stllvf
Oh you must be part of the “we are back” crowd. Yes if it makes you happy how about just play schools recruits have dang at least heard of. I take back the word best if that makes you happy.

You got me, I'm probably the biggest homer on this forum...

s6YYAevIZ_vk1O0Tn85_xdVlc1wbOAECx-qXULtJgyw.jpg

Reactions: Smallvol#1
Or put another way, you are incredibly naive to assume the decision to play this game came solely from the team...

FYI, Quote from UAPB coach Dawn Brown:

UAPB, 0-4, had the option to not play the game, but Brown said her team wanted to take the court.

“It never crossed any of our minds that we weren’t going to play this game today,” Brown said. “Our young ladies love what they do, and they understand that they were given a gift and a talent. To have such a tragedy to happen last night when we found out around 6 or 7 o’clock, right before dinner, I wanted to give the young ladies some peace. We did some things with them that allowed them to spend some time with each other. It was never a situation where we thought about not playing this game.

“We gave them the opportunities and the time they needed to cry and to love on each other. I think that was really important. It never crossed our minds to not show up and play.”

UAPB, 0-4, had the option to not play the game, but Brown said her team wanted to take the court.

“It never crossed any of our minds that we weren’t going to play this game today,” Brown said. “Our young ladies love what they do, and they understand that they were given a gift and a talent. To have such a tragedy to happen last night when we found out around 6 or 7 o’clock, right before dinner, I wanted to give the young ladies some peace. We did some things with them that allowed them to spend some time with each other. It was never a situation where we thought about not playing this game.

“We gave them the opportunities and the time they needed to cry and to love on each other. I think that was really important. It never crossed our minds to not show up and play.”

UAPB, team and coaches, seem like a total class act. Respect and prayers to them. Hope they keep going forward and are successful in all they do.

@Darth_Vol, Happy Thanksgiving! This is the happiest I’ve seen you. Optimistically hopeful for the Ladys this season?

Tennessee through six games has more assists than turnovers which is the first time in years that I can remember that ever being the case even after just six games. Were usually already have way more turnovers than assists. 110 assists and 108 turnovers for the season. 18.3 assists per game and 18 turnovers per game.

Reactions: lvocd

Cool. That narrative is certainly more inspiring than considering the financial ramifications for UAPB if they had pulled out of the game. Not that I would ever believe trivial monetary considerations fueling any pressure to play would be a factor in a decision like this given the tragic nature of the situation...

I agree, it felt like that to me. It looked to me like they were told to give them two steps at the 3 and guard the paint. They hit their open shots. Some of that is risk management as well. No sense having your players going 100% when the game is already out of reach. Feelings get hurt and players get injured.

I thought we still did a lot of very good things last night. Also proved that we can score when the 3 isn't going in, nobody looked down about it. A season ago if we went 0-10 from the 3 point line we would have let it affect every aspect of the game and probably gone down to the wire.

And for our lack of defense in the third we set a program record for fewest points allowed in a period during the second quarter. APB were only able to put 4 points on the board in that quarter.

Turnovers as a team were somewhat better, turnovers as an individual were worse for Horston. She seems to get too relaxed when we get up big and tries to make the flashy pass instead of the easy pass. Half her turnovers last night should have been pull-up jumpers for her. The post was already in o-board position, she needs to call her own number and rise and fire over smaller players when she gets in the heart of the defense. Instead she was trying to make the 5 foot bullet pass and that's just plain hard to catch in traffic.

I’ve actually been okay with turnovers so far, to be honest. (Hear me out! lol) I feel like there’s a huge difference in the reasons behind why turnovers are happening this season as opposed to why and how they happened last year.

While certainly not true in every case, I see the majority of this year’s turnovers as being the result of being aggressive and/or over-confident as opposed to the type of cringeworthy turnovers that come from lack of preparedness, confusion and/or tentative movements. HUGE difference.

This year we have a rare natural talent in Jordan Horston who is quite possibly, simultaneously, the best and most trying part of Kellie Harper and her staff’s job right now.

She’s the best thing since, well, she obviously IS a phenomenally talented woman with crazy-good natural skills. Thank goodness she’s LVFL!!!!!!

But then, she’s also so young and inexperienced and used to being able to exert her will on (high school) opponents that she obviously needs a little more time to get her decision-making skills more in sync with college-level basketball. I’m sure the staff is over-the-moon happy to have such a “problem” to deal with as is Horston’s over-confidence in her passing and drives.

I am so happy with the way things are going, and I have complete confidence that EVERY Lady Vol player and staff member is doing her/his best to improve every game.

It feels great to feel this way again.

VN Store

Back