If We End Up 8-5, Do We Lose Assistants?

If Ansley hits his stride nxt season and puts out a great defense Bama will come calling most likely. He was an ace assistant there and they’ll be shopping for coordinators again.

Chaney is the strongest lock if there were such a thing. He turned down a raise to come here to coach at Tennessee.

Weinke could be going back to the pro level. I hope that he stays considering the work he’s put on over the last months

Tee Martin, to me, is the 2nd thing closest to a lock. He’s already got a shoe in the door to follow Chaney whenever he decides to call it. His work with the WR much like the aforementioned coach has shown over the last month.

Neids is a front runner for a higher position and has the highest percentage not to return next season. He’s an ace recruiter and he won’t want to coach TEs forever.

Rocker: If there were a man who’d be a high percentage to be replaced it would be him. The line play just simply hasn’t been there. His group isn’t producing at a high level like I believe Pruitt wants.

Rumph and Sherrer: I believe they’ll return to coach the same positions. I like what I’ve seen from this group and I think they both have progressed enough over the season to be brought back. I’m interested to see what they do with ToTo after Bituli leaves the group.

David Johnson: I think this is the highest risk of looking elsewhere. I believe he had offerings last off season. With what we have returning I think we can fill this position rather quickly with a solid coach who fits Pruitts vision.

Ole Will: While his efforts won’t go unnoticed through the season I believe he’s earned a pass. The pass blocking has progressed enough to be satisfactory but let’s be real here he’s got 3 5s, a 4 and a 3 upfront. Hard not to find success with that grouping. I think we all need to see major improvements in run blocking for Friend to see extended time as Tennessee’s OL coach. Witn Trey potentially headed to the draft I want to see how he fills the spot and keeps momentum moving forward.

Keep an eye on the mess in Cleveland. Seems Pruitt has a buddy up there and he may or may not be looking for a job come seasons end.

Stay tuned....

Last edited:
Yes. Hopefully the ones responsible for our DLine recruiting.

Rocker hasn't done a lot pulling in D linemen, but he sure has gotten a lot of production out of our guys on the field this year after a slow start. I figure we might lose 2 or 3 coaches this year. Who, I don't know.

I hope none one goes, Unless we can upgrade the position! I have the least faith in Weinke. He either got into JGs head too much or not enough. I am not sure he is the QB whisperer. There might be better, more proven QB coaches out there, with an 8-5 record, Bailey coming in and JG returning.

After 0-2 start: I hope we lose coaches.
After 7-5 finish: I'm assuming we're losing coaches.

tenor.gif

Gonna have to get over this weird fascination with Chaney's physique. We don't pay the man to be skinny, and everything else about it is his personal business.

I agree with Landscaping in his post a few above this one, but I'd like to see Weinke stay on. Dude helped JG and the younger lads keep their heads in the right place through the changes of the season. Chaney is a QB whisperer, but Weinke played a big role in that position group, too. And they came through the turmoil really well.

We don't pay him to be fat either.

Kidding 😊

Saban loses them every year and seems to keep rolling. I'd like to keep the gang together one more year since we seem to have it going in the right direction. On a side note, is it Chaney's weight that keeps him from getting a head coaching look?
Chaney's offense has never been ranked above 35th and that was at georgia with a team full of 5 star players. His offense is currently ranked 103rd. He has had multiple offensive teams that have been ranked 100+. That is why he has never been mentioned for a hc gig.

I would say that Rocker and Weinke will not be renewed based off of their performances especially recruiting.

I don’t think I can agree with you on this. Rocker and Weinke have had their hands full all year and they’ve done a great job esp as of late. That being said, if either of them leave I trust Pruitt and co to find the guys to replace them.

There's bound to be changes, I think there's a couple guys that arent pulling their weight in recruiting who might get let go in all honesty.

Reactions: Volgrad98
Johnson, Rocker, and Weinke all have contracts that expire Jan 31. If they were going to be kept, you would think their contracts would’ve been extended by now. But who knows, maybe it happens next week
This is the key. I don’t see JP “firing” anyone but there could be movement from guys with expiring deals. Id say Wwinke and Johnson are the most likely. I really don’t think we need any changes but Weinberg would be my first choice if we have to lose one guy

Well, Fulmer said, said he that nobody coms o the UT and just take our coaches.

I believe our biggest concern needs to be, will the AD finally do what they have to do to keep the coaches that need to remain on the staff? Neids, Tee, and Ansley need to be kept at all cost.

I believe our biggest concern needs to be, will the AD finally do what they have to do to keep the coaches that need to remain on the staff? Neids, Tee, and Ansley need to be kept at all cost.

I know it's another sport. But after Rick Barnes, I don't think the word "finally" fits anymore.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
I think Chaney is the same type of coach as Veneables or Bud Foster, just content to be a highly paid coordinator.

He may also be aware of the Peter Principle. Self aware people can know they are good at their current job but not well suited for the next step up.

I truly hope that UT's staff performs so well that it becomes a target of other schools. Success will bring shoppers. Hopefully, like Barnes last year, UT will fight to keep the guys it wants. Go Vols!

VN Store

Back