ESPN bowl projection

Step 1...Stomp the Commode Doors.

Step 2...Remember that we just passed for 415 yards BUT we could ONLY put 24 points on the board so we DO still have a problem scoring points.

Step 3...We all want a good bowl game but we also NEED a Bowl WIN to help recruiting and for momentum by keeping our WIN streak going into next season.

I'd love to stomp Franklin and the state penn guys.

I'd love to stomp that arrogant bum and his michiCAN'T group too.

My serious question is, can we score enough points to get that most important WIN?

Only 24 points after passing for 415 yards makes me seriously wonder about this.

Just stomp the commode doors and get the WIN at whatever bowl we get to and keep our WIN streak alive and well!!!

VFL...GBO!!!

No. We are somewhere around 16. A few teams would beat us by 17+

We lost to two G5 teams this year. Tennessee is not a Top 25 team this year. They've improved over the last two seasons, but nowhere near Top 25 level.

I'm in the get a win camp, even if it means playing a G5 team. Pruitt may finally be the answer, or he may end up crashing worse then Dooley or Butch, only time will tell. A moral victory in taking on Penn State or Michigan wouldn't be bad, but I'd take a real victory against a team close to our level at this point, even if it's another 7-5 or 6-6 P5 also ran team, or a G5 team with a good W/L record.

We lost to two G5 teams this year. Tennessee is not a Top 25 team this year. They've improved over the last two seasons, but nowhere near Top 25 level.

I'm in the get a win camp, even if it means playing a G5 team. Pruitt may finally be the answer, or he may end up crashing worse then Dooley or Butch, only time will tell. A moral victory in taking on Penn State or Michigan wouldn't be bad, but I'd take a real victory against a team close to our level at this point, even if it's another 7-5 or 6-6 P5 also ran team, or a G5 team with a good W/L record.

We have been two different teams this year. First half Vols...definitely NOT a top 25 team. Second half Vols I think are a fringe top 25 team...maybe 20-30. But I do agree that beating an Indiana means more than losing to Michigan/Penn State. Just do not want to play a G5 team.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
My mind definitely works differently than several on here. I keep seeing "just get a win", and "a win will help recruiting more".

For the "just get a win" crowd, this team is in the process of learning how to be a team. They've taken big steps. At the first part of the year many were having a hard time figuring out where they were supposed to line up, and then somewhere after Florida, it started clicking. The team stopped thinking about where they were supposed to be and what they were supposed to do, and they just started doing it. They banded together through some crappy self created adversity, and lo and behold, wins. We should take care of Vanderbilt. The bowl game should be a continued learning experience and a measuring stick. For those players coming back, just having to go toe to toe with a more "established" upper level team, win or lose, the experience is invaluable. See the '98 Orange Bowl where we got our clocks cleaned and then what happened the next year.

For the "recruiting" crowd, what would get a recruits attention more? Playing Indiana? or Playing Penn St. or Michigan? The hype up to that game would mean more to recruiting than the outcome of the game. You win, the hype continues. You lose, you push to the recruits "See, we need you".

Just my 2 cents...

It makes me mad to think about the three Penn State losses. No way we should have lost all three. A stain on Fulmer’s legacy as he was clearly out coached. The last time we met I think Paterno was in a wheelchair and looked like he didn’t even know where he was. I would love to absolutely destroy Penn State and regain some sense of dignity. Not sure if this year is the right year though. On a positive note, I think Johnny at least embarrassed Paterno in his early tenure.
I believe it was bill battle, with Dickey’s players

I disagree. Do you think the way the team is playing now they would lose the first two games?
Sure bring on mich. or penn. st. After the beatdown the orange coolade drinkers might return to reality. We are an average team at best. .hope I’m proved wrong though.

Reality. Neither PSU, UM or IU would be good matchups for us. And of the three, IU likely would be the toughest.
Why do you say that? Indiana lost to those two schools handily, by a combined four and a half TDs

Sure bring on mich. or penn. st. After the beatdown the orange coolade drinkers might return to reality. We are an average team at best. .hope I’m proved wrong though.
We are probably a somewhat above average team now but the idea is that CJP coaches them up when given a month AND we heal up with our very talented seniors giving it their all for their last game. It could very well happen that way.

My mind definitely works differently than several on here. I keep seeing "just get a win", and "a win will help recruiting more".

For the "just get a win" crowd, this team is in the process of learning how to be a team. They've taken big steps. At the first part of the year many were having a hard time figuring out where they were supposed to line up, and then somewhere after Florida, it started clicking. The team stopped thinking about where they were supposed to be and what they were supposed to do, and they just started doing it. They banded together through some crappy self created adversity, and lo and behold, wins. We should take care of Vanderbilt. The bowl game should be a continued learning experience and a measuring stick. For those players coming back, just having to go toe to toe with a more "established" upper level team, win or lose, the experience is invaluable. See the '98 Orange Bowl where we got our clocks cleaned and then what happened the next year.

For the "recruiting" crowd, what would get a recruits attention more? Playing Indiana? or Playing Penn St. or Michigan? The hype up to that game would mean more to recruiting than the outcome of the game. You win, the hype continues. You lose, you push to the recruits "See, we need you".

Just my 2 cents...

I agree on the recruiting angle. I don't see that winning or losing is a big factor with recruits. All things considered it's gotta be pretty far down the list

I don't think we should shy away from anyone. There is a list of teams I don't feel we are quite ready for...but the Big10 is generally slower.

Selfishly...I want the Belk Bowl. It's the shortest drive for me. I'm in the middle of shelling out 8 grand for my kids to go to Ireland and England and no way the wife is giving the go ahead for a bowl that needs a flightplan.
My kids will be washing dishes on a Carnival boat if they hope to get to Ireland.

Reactions: VOLNPA
Never underestimate the power of a team growing together vs a team that failed expectations.
That's a little more applicable to Michigan's case this year than Penn St's.

I'd love to have a shot at Michigan if they, yet again, lose to Ohio St (that'd be 0-5 for Harbaugh) and the Harbaugh hot seat or Harbaugh to the NFL talk starts up again. Michigan is already out of Big Ten contention. They'd almost certainly be distracted and not ready/interested in playing that bowl game, and we'd still be a big underdog. We'd have not much to lose and a ton to gain, because nationally everyone would expect Michigan to beat us rather easily.

Reactions: orange parmejohn
I see you finally found something to be negative about!

When we wax Penn States ass then what you going to look for?
I would eat crow. I am not above admitting I was wrong. But it won't be an issue in this case. We are not a top 20 team. Sorry, we just aren't. Be objective and don't be a homer. I love the VOLS too, but we ain't that good.

Reactions: vettefool
I disagree. Do you think the way the team is playing now they would lose the first two games?
I would think so. IMHO, BOTH those losses are on Pruitt and the staff. But that's a different argument.

I guess what I am saying is that I think any other 6-6 team in the country, we win. Against any top 15... top 20 team with a 9-3 record , we go home beaten up.

Step 1...Stomp the Commode Doors.

Step 2...Remember that we just passed for 415 yards BUT we could ONLY put 24 points on the board so we DO still have a problem scoring points.

Step 3...We all want a good bowl game but we also NEED a Bowl WIN to help recruiting and for momentum by keeping our WIN streak going into next season.

I'd love to stomp Franklin and the state penn guys.

I'd love to stomp that arrogant bum and his michiCAN'T group too.

My serious question is, can we score enough points to get that most important WIN?

Only 24 points after passing for 415 yards makes me seriously wonder about this.

Just stomp the commode doors and get the WIN at whatever bowl we get to and keep our WIN streak alive and well!!!

VFL...GBO!!!

You get a like for “state penn”. I like to call them Ped State.
That whole damn community knew about that pedophile and they enabled him.
I’ve had child molestation in my family. It leaves terrible emotional scars.

Tennessee has a 4 bowl win streak against B1G teams. Historically, the Vols have fared well against B1G opponents.

Music City Bowl W 38–24 December 30, 2016 Nebraska
Outback Bowl W 45–6 January 1, 2016 Northwestern
TaxSlayer Bowl W 45–28 January 2, 2015 Iowa
Outback Bowl W 21–17 January 1, 2008 Wisconsin
Outback Bowl L 10–20 January 1, 2007 Penn State
Florida Citrus Bowl W 45–17 January 1, 2002 Michigan
Florida Citrus Bowl W 48–28 January 1, 1997 Northwestern
Florida Citrus Bowl W 20–14 January 1, 1996 Ohio State
Florida Citrus Bowl L 13–31 January 1, 1994 Penn State
Fiesta Bowl L 17–42 January 1, 1992 Penn State
Liberty Bowl W 21–14 December 29, 1986 Minnesota
Peach Bowl L 22–28 December 31, 1982 Iowa
Garden State Bowl W 28–21 December 13, 1981 Wisconsin
Bluebonnet Bowl L 22–27 December 31, 1979 Purdue

In bowl games, Tennessee is 9-5 vs B1G teams during the past 40 years.
Penn State seems to have the Vols number, being 3-0 vs UT during this span.
The only times Tennessee has faced B1G powerhouses, Michigan and tOSU, the Vols have been victorious.

On a personal note, the 1982 Peach Bowl loss sticks in my craw because my cousin (who doesn't care one whit about CFB) was attending the writers' workshop at Iowa that year and has a commemorative coffee cup for that game, from which he's always drinking during our rare visits at the breakfast table.

VN Store

Back