Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

I've often wondered what she could have done at Tech... but glad I never found out. We were blessed to have Sonja Hogg here when all of that went down.

I'm more curious what another coach could have done at Tech, but we'll never know that either...

Reactions: BUBear
South Carolina up 18-5 on Clemson. The guards for Clemson are slow and have horrendous ball handling. This will be a blowout. Clemson’s offensive timing is bad too. The announcer said they’re implementing lots of new players. It looks like it.

Who was it here that said Tennessee really missed out by not recruiting Kendall Spray... ?

Baylor doesn't have a star without Cox, but you can't underestimate how good her supporting cast is as a whole -- even if they don't stand out as much individually.
Baylor didn't have a "star" last season either. Kim has finally reached the point in recruiting where she doesn't have to build the team around one player. In years past she would have had to build around Brown or Cox. I hope it never changes.

Reactions: lvocd and LVsinceJV
Miss St is at Marquette tonight should be a good game. I expect Miss St to win but this one could be close.

Yea, I hate to see that two of Texas’ big time players (or any player for that matter) had to be sat with what looked like injuries during the crucial 5th set.

What a great crowd on hand (although the Texas fans were making some noise in there).

Great win for Baylor. Looked like they were gonna return the favor on getting swept by Texas but Texas fought back to make it a barn burner. I don’t know how they’ll determine the champion if they end up in a tie. I guess some conferences did away with their volleyball tournaments so I don’t know if the Big XII was one of them?
New rankings are out:

DI Women's Volleyball Rankings - NCAA Women's Volleyball RPI | NCAA.com

1. Baylor
2. Wisconsin
3. Texas

Do they have a Big 12 tourney? I hope so. I would like to see what would happen if a Texas has all their players healthy. It would be a great game in a great atmosphere. That was a fun game to watch.

I don’t even know if Volleyball does conference tourneys anymore?
I don't believe they do. BIG XII website doesn't indicate one and the Baylor schedule also doesn't show one.

2019 Volleyball Schedule - Baylor University Athletics

Miss State @ Marquette, practically tied, 35-34 State going into halftime. This is their first real test of the season, and I truly think Vic kneecaps his players by having such a weak schedule for such highly ranked recruits. You can't go head to head against elites in the post-season without the toughness built against strong teams earlier on. We'll see how they finish this one out. I like Vic's coaching style and I love his players, but I'm really not impressed with his scheduling.

Mo State @ South Dakota, up 31-27 at the half. Great game!

Reactions: JustaChicken
Miss State @ Marquette, practically tied, 35-34 State going into halftime. This is their first real test of the season, and I truly think Vic kneecaps his players by having such a weak schedule for such highly ranked recruits. You can't go head to head against elites in the post-season without the toughness built against strong teams earlier on. We'll see how they finish this one out. I like Vic's coaching style and I love his players, but I'm really not impressed with his scheduling.

Mo State @ South Dakota, up 31-27 at the half. Great game!
Vic went into the season thinking he lost four starters and would be playing a roster full of freshmen, sophomores, and a player who was less than 12 months from an ACL tear. I don't blame him scheduling cupcakes. Having said that, MSST is new to the upper echelon of the sport. If they continue to be an elite team, I'm sure a more challenging schedule will follow.

Vic went into the season thinking he lost four starters and would be playing a roster full of freshmen, sophomores, and a player who was less than 12 months from an ACL tear. I don't blame him scheduling cupcakes. Having said that, MSST is new to the upper echelon of the sport. If they continue to be an elite team, I'm sure a more challenging schedule will follow.
Scheduling, at the very least, more Big Ten or Big 12 games (maybe teams ranked 40-80) rather than a bunch of sub-140 teams would provide the cushion of a softer schedule without being total cream puff games. The 100+ point blowouts of crappy teams are way less impressive than a well-earned 15 or 20 point win against a decent team, and are more likely to get these players ready for the SEC and tournament. Same could be said about Baylor (though their schedule isn't quite as bad) and will definitely be said about us next year.

Baylor didn't have a "star" last season either. Kim has finally reached the point in recruiting where she doesn't have to build the team around one player. In years past she would have had to build around Brown or Cox. I hope it never changes.
I hope you're ready for a battle later this week BUBear. This new & improved South Carolina team isn't about to lay down to your bears. Should be an entertaining game. May the best team that day win.

Well in that case TN schedule should fit this. They lost 4 starters as well (Westbrook, Green, green, and Jackson plus Collins who was a major player off the bench). Lou Brown is a year removed from ACL surgery as well. So I think this schedule they have suits them as well. I think TN schedule will eventually ramp up some. Especially being in the top l0 for lots of really talented recruits.

Marquette 27 turnovers lose at the end of the game. Miss St terrible shooting in this game but they forced so many turnovers that it ending up not costing them.

Reactions: djtee
Well in that case TN schedule should fit this. They lost 4 starters as well (Westbrook, Green, green, and Jackson plus Collins who was a major player off the bench). Lou Brown is a year removed from ACL surgery as well. So I think this schedule they have suits them as well. I think TN schedule will eventually ramp up some. Especially being in the top l0 for lots of really talented recruits.
I think Tennessee's schedule suited them perfectly, even if they didn't know Westbrook wouldn't be back. Great opportunity to play a lot of different combinations and get everyone valuable game time. Like MSST, it helps that they are blowing teams away so the starters can play limited minutes and the bench can show what they've got.

Miss State @ Marquette, practically tied, 35-34 State going into halftime. This is their first real test of the season, and I truly think Vic kneecaps his players by having such a weak schedule for such highly ranked recruits.

Agreed. You see how dependent South Carolina is on freshmen, and you don't see Dawn playing a chicken**** schedule. Let's see which team is more prepared for a conference/postseason run...

VN Store

Back