Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, a knee would have been best. The timeout could have been for anything. It didn't really make a difference.

From the comments

EKGsS0aWkAUZt2f.jpg:large
underrated--- this is perfect and freakin awesome!!!
Still can't believe he most likely will not get cleared...
So I read the stud we are getting from Uruguay Vescovi may be able to come in and start playing immediately in January????

Yeah, a knee would have been best. The timeout could have been for anything. It didn't really make a difference.

It did make a difference with 8 seconds left. If you have that TO left you can run a play with much less risk. If a sack or throw short of the goal line happens you can use that To and then kick the fg. Not having that TO caused the conservative decision to go ahead and kick the fg

Reactions: InVOLuntary
What I love most about that Missouri game.

Jim Chaney let 'em hang low...all over Barry Odom's face.

"Oh...you gonna play man on my WRs and stack the box? Let me show you what happens."

JG & company would have went for over 500 and 3 or 4 TDs had they not been facing holding/PI every route. It was beautiful to see Chaney take advantage of one of the "best" defensive secondary coaches and passing defenses in the country like that.

We'll watch movies/shows in a dark room when we are able to. What about with sports during the day?
Depends if the TV will reflect the sun at all. If the room is real bright with sun on the screen, it will act as a mirror. It has a superior picture to QLED but not as bright. Much depends on where you want to put it.

RB coach is fine.
The defense was giving up the passing routes and WRs were having a record setting day. QB threw for 400 yards which he has never done. 3 WRs went over 100 yards which is a new school record.

RBs went for 110. RB coach had nothing to do with OC being rightfully pass happy. JG was playing out of his mind (good thing for him 😂). If the passing game wasn’t there, you would have seen more running plays called.

Yep. If you look strictly at the RBs against Mizzou they had 22 carries for 103 yds, which included the 1 yd goalline run by Crouch, so almost 5 yds per carry for Jordan, Chandler, and Gray. And Gray only had 2 carries for 5 yds, while Chandler was 14-74 yds and Chandler was 5-23 yds, so while no spectacular, solid performances. What they haven't provided in a while are the explosive, take it to the house runs.

But I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that we just aren't running the ball a lot. When Maurer and Shrout were starting we weren't running effectively because BM or JTS are still nowhere near where they need to be with their pre-snap reads, and they were not putting the offense in the correct formations to be successful in the running game. With JG back in now the running game is very limited because of the cast on his left hand, which makes handoffs very tricky, not to mention that Chaney and Pruitt have obviously determined that with the OL giving JG sufficient time in the pocket, and that on any given play one of JJ, Calloway, Palmer, or DWA is going to be running free, that the explosive plays are in the passing game.

In the 2nd year our game/clock management should be better

Taking a TO before even running a play right before half was inexcusable and eventually made us play conservative with 8 seconds left and no TOs. If we had that TO left it’s easier to run a play with 8 seconds left

This is the kind of issue that gets lost when you win but must be fixed
“Dammit, you are telling me I have to pay $600 million in taxes on my $1 billion powerball winnings? Unfair!”
-Bruin probably

What I love most about that Missouri game.

"Oh...you gonna play man on my WRs and stack the box? Let me show you what happens."

JG & company would have went for over 500 and 3 or 4 TDs had they not been facing holding/PI every route. It was beautiful to see Chaney take advantage of one of the "best" defensive secondary coaches and passing defenses in the country like that.
We talking his stomach?
Had to.

The Good and The Bad

Interestingly, this season ties 2016 for our best Yards Per Play margin of the decade (+.60 YPP). We are gaining 5.71 and allowing 5.11. In 2016, we gained 6.44 and allowed 5.84. I highly suspect Vandy will further increase this margin.

2017 we were -1.17
2018 we were -.21
Now +.60

Most playoff teams are +1.5 and higher typically. If we continue this rate of improvement, maybe we reach such a level in 1-2 years.

Yet, we are still only +1.2 in scoring margin and this shows our deficiencies in situational football imo. YPP margin is great because it shows if you are straight up beating your opponent play in and play out. What it doesn't show you is how you play at inflection points and that comes with experience, coaching, extra practices.

3rd down defense is still 13th in the conference, while red zone TD% allowed is 11th. Red zone TD% on offense has clearly held us back, we all know that. Offensive turnovers have also hurt us. 4 of the playoff contending teams are in the top 10 in TO margin, all at +9 or better on the year. LSU is the lowest of them, at +3. We are just +1 all season. 32nd in gaining them, but 81st in turning it over, with INTs being the worst at 86th nationally. Some TOs were doubly painful, because 5 were right in the red zone.

Anyway, already beating our opponents this much play-in and play-out is great. It took Butch 4 years to do it this well. Now we just need to hone our situational play moving forward. 15 extra practices each December is a good start.
i had no idea there were metrics that explained all this the way you have here.....cause this is exactly how i've "felt" about us during this run.

told my brother after the game....man, we're something else between the 25's........but inside them, we're just not good.....so this kinda backs up that assertion.....so thanks for putting it out there.

which is another reason why i think you have to be super impressed with our defense....despite not always getting the pay off with points, the defense has continued to make plays and get the ball back, by hook or by crook.

and at the end of the day, the offense overcomes these mistkaes too....

you can go back to the BYU and MSU games, and now the MO game, and see those inflection points that prevented those games from being blow outs.........cause by all rights, i think we've probably left around 40 points (speculation...lol) on the field this year between missed/blocked fg's, red zone turnovers etc....

anyway, you're point on beating our opponent on a play by play basis isn't lost on me....and situational football is where it's at for us if you want to pick on something.

good stuff.

i'm still happy with the results........but man....the potential this team has/had kinda gets me excited about the future.

RBs also had 3 catches for 42 yards (each getting 1 catch)

Jordan had a solid night overall, 96 total yards on 15 touches. We also saw more of Jordan to help pass block I think, I'm not sure what's up with Ty though. Maybe he's being having some issues in practice or something that's preventing him from getting more plays in games.

He had some big games against UAB & SC, but vanished against Kentucky & Mizzou. Has to be related to pass protection though. Only thing that makes sense. Obviously against UK we really didn't have many plays. 25 passes and 21 runs with 9 of those runs being QB.

“Dammit, you are telling me I have to pay $600 million in taxes on my $1 billion powerball winnings? Unfair!”
-Bruin probably
“Inexcusable” only applies if no points were scored as the result of that early TO. Going the length of the field is low percentage anyway, but what you DON’T WANT is something going haywire on YOUR SIDE of the field. And in that game, things had a tendency to go wrong.

It did make a difference with 8 seconds left. If you have that TO left you can run a play with much less risk. If a sack or throw short of the goal line happens you can use that To and then kick the fg. Not having that TO caused the conservative decision to go ahead and kick the fg
I was referring to the one at the end of the game. Idk, the officials have been awfully quick to start the play clock after a first down. Might have been best to take the timeout with 8 seconds left, call a play to the endzone or through the back of the endzone if nobody is open.

On the other hand, a sack or mistake would have had us leaving the half with no points at that point.

Reactions: BruinVol
A great performance last night. I was fortunate enough to fly back with the guys last night post game and the energy and atmosphere this team and staff has created is truly amazing to witness. This team is a freight train moving at light speed...I don’t see anything stopping them from demolishing candy next week and then I really feel sorry for any team that has to face us in a bowl game.

All of this is making its way through the recruiting “networks” as well...expect a very strong finish.

tenor.gif

“Inexcusable” only applies if no points were scored as the result of that early TO. Going the length of the field is low percentage anyway, but what you DON’T WANT is something going haywire on YOUR SIDE of the field. And in that game, things had a tendency to go wrong.

We also had 3 timeouts with 0:38 on the clock and marched 66 yards on 5 plays to put more points on the board.

Took the TO on our own 24 as well, once we saw confusion lining up & a new look by Missouri. Then Jordan ran for a first down out of that TO, we took the 2nd and then JG hit 2 straight passes to Palmer of 20+

I wasn't a huge fan of the scramble on the Mizzou 22 with just 1 TO. But based on how tight the Red Zone gets and how poorly we've been about turnovers, it was a smart play to just make the FG easier and give Missouri no time.

I know...recruiting. Gonna fart around and dump everybody every year that doesn’t land a top 10 recruit and that trend will keep going because the replacements have to start over developing relationships. Got some outstanding technical coaches and I actually would like to see what they could do two effin years in a row...for a change. You’re a good guy most of the time but a broken Yoko Ono record on this subject. 😖
@butchna he's dead already stop kicking @85SugarVol . :)

Those Pelatone commercials are goofy. Guy buys his hot thin wife a bike and she makes obnoxious workout selfie videos. Yay

they cost like 2500 and you have to pay a 40. monthly subscription to do the video rides. Dated a girl that had one. Thought it was the dumbest thing I’d ever heard but she loved them.
Did she wear a helmet like they do in the commecials?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back