Tim Brando: College football has become a colossal bore

People who are bitching about football are just whiners. It is MUCH better than it used to be where a Big Ten team or Notre Dame could blow through an easy schedule and media hype and play a 8-4 Pac-10 team in bowl or avoid a bowl all together.

Reactions: VolsSportsFan
I don't understand this mentality.

Back in the day, did the Egg Bowl matter? Did Oregon-Oregon State matter? Did the Peach Bowl or the Gator Bowl matter?

This idea that now that there is a playoff, things are meaningless......a lot of **** was meaningless back in the day too.

It’s amazing how archaic the line of thinking is that is associated with college football and that it still inundates the game to the level that it does. I love college football more than any other sport, but it is hugely flawed, and even more frustrating is the fact that it can be easily improved . To a degree, the bowls that everyone talks so fondly of, like the Sugar, Rose or Orange are the reason we have this system .

Reactions: VOLSONLY
If you can find where I mentioned the BCS, show it to me. You're making a straw man argument. There was nothing wrong with how it was done before, it was simply different. There was no grave injustice that bad to be righted and when there were games all over the country that could have a part in deciding the national championship, January 1st was a very exciting football day.

No I'm not. You said "before"...what was before the CFP? The BCS.

But now that you've clarified, I find your remarks and argument even more laughable. The entire reason a system like the BCS even came to be was more and more fans said that the old way wasn't good enough. You guys wanting it to go back to everyone playing different bowl games and hoping your team got voted #1 are the old men yelling at the clouds.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
The whole playoff format has down graded college football. None of the bowls matter anymore. None of the matchups matter unless you're in the playoff. Bowl season used to be much more fun. Wouldn't say boring just lost it's luster. The Rose Bowl for example used to be a thing, now it's just maybe a playoff game.jmo

This is just silly. If you honestly think people cared about a bowl like the Sun Bowl before the playoff, then I'll say you're either lying or you have some strong nostalgia bias going on.

I agree completely. I get wanting a different playoff format. I don't get complaining about too many bowl games.

I don't either, because in the end it's more football and they're basically just exhibitions and a chance for teams to get in more practice.

But now that you've clarified, I find your remarks and argument even more laughable. The entire reason a system like the BCS even came to be was more and more fans said that the old way wasn't good enough. You guys wanting it to go back to everyone playing different bowl games and hoping your team got voted #1 are the old men yelling at the clouds.
I agree with both you and rickyvol77. The BCS and CFP were both demanded and the system is much better. Time to make it even better with an 8 team playoff. Eight seats at the playoff table makes the regular season even more relevant for those four extra teams who may have one or possibly two losses. I think you’d see more top matchups in the regular season if teams knew a loss wouldn’t lock them out of the playoff (Bama being the exception)

This is just silly. If you honestly think people cared about a bowl like the Sun Bowl before the playoff, then I'll say you're either lying or you have some strong nostalgia bias going on.
I think 6 of the top 7 bowls were a big deal. The only exception to me was the Rose which at one time only allowed 2 conferences. I hated that game. You’re right about bowls like the Sun, Liberty, Independence, Tangerine, Astro Bluebonnet, Gator and even the Peach. Nobody cared about them back in the day. I certainly didn’t unless the Vols played in the game.

If it's such a bore for him, maybe he should quit his job. College football is still my favorite sport. I enjoy it much more than the NFL and college basketball (which is only interesting for about 2 months).

I will agree that there are too many meaningless bowl games, though. That has gotten out of control, but the regular season, the major bowls, and the playoffs are still very interesting.
Many bowl games have always been meaningless. That is unless you’re a fan of that team or simply love watching CFB. It’s a reward for young men who work hard and punish their bodies. I’m all for every bowl, even the Jim Bob’s 24 Roto-rooter bowl.

And expand the playoff to 8. The Athletic has a great analysis of why it would improve the regular season. I think the head editor wrote it.

I think 6 of the top 7 bowls were a big deal. The only exception to me was the Rose which at one time only allowed 2 conferences. I hated that game. You’re right about bowls like the Sun, Liberty, Independence, Tangerine, Astro Bluebonnet, Gator and even the Peach. Nobody cared about them back in the day. I certainly didn’t unless the Vols played in the game.

I will agree that going to a bowl used to be a bigger deal, because there were much fewer. Which meant for some teams even an 8-4 record wasn't enough to get them a bowl bid.

I was just a kid but I remember the 1988 Peach Bowl (after 1987 season) when we played Indiana. That wasn't even on a network, it was broadcast in syndication by Mizlou and we had to go to someone else's house to watch because we couldn't pick up the station.

If we're the old men yelling at the clouds, I guess that makes you guys the young punks with no wisdom lecturing those who know more. Sports are for entertainment and the entertainment level of a half dozen bowl games that could decide a national championship was fantastic. The reason the system was changed wasn't because of the importance of a playoff, it was one thing only and that's money.

All the conference champions, best group of 5, and 2 at large bids would reduce everyones bitching to zero. SEC teams can't complain because they likely always get one of those at large bids. Even teams that play a difficult schedule can't complain. I think this likely removes that tough OOC game a lot of teams play. You could reward the top two seeds with home games in the first round or something. I get that the safety of the kids is important but I don't see adding an extra game as a bad thing.

If we're the old men yelling at the clouds, I guess that makes you guys the young punks with no wisdom lecturing those who know more. Sports are for entertainment and the entertainment level of a half dozen bowl games that could decide a national championship was fantastic. The reason the system was changed wasn't because of the importance of a playoff, it was one thing only and that's money.

Ok boomer. And yes, split national champions are the height of wisdom obviously.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
...the SEC should self-impose a twelve year exclusion on itself for consideration in the CFP. Give somebody else a chance, after all.

Ok boomer. And yes, split national champions are the height of wisdom obviously.
So, on the grand scheme of things, what difference does a split national championship make. Nothing of great importance is decided on a football field. It's just entertainment.

If it's such a bore for him, maybe he should quit his job. College football is still my favorite sport. I enjoy it much more than the NFL and college basketball (which is only interesting for about 2 months).

I will agree that there are too many meaningless bowl games, though. That has gotten out of control, but the regular season, the major bowls, and the playoffs are still very interesting.
CFB playoffs is not interesting lol

Definitely needs to expand

So, on the grand scheme of things, what difference does a split national championship make. Nothing of great importance is decided on a football field. It's just entertainment.

If it's just entertainment and doesnt matter, seems like you shouldn't care what happens one way or the other or how they even decide to determine a champion? Why even care if UT wins today or not? What difference does a W or L make?

I will agree that going to a bowl used to be a bigger deal, because there were much fewer. Which meant for some teams even an 8-4 record wasn't enough to get them a bowl bid.

I was just a kid but I remember the 1988 Peach Bowl (after 1987 season) when we played Indiana. That wasn't even on a network, it was broadcast in syndication by Mizlou and we had to go to someone else's house to watch because we couldn't pick up the station.
I believe Tennessee played Bert Jones and LSU in the Astro Bluebonnet Bowl in either 72 or 73? The Vols were 9-2, losing only to Auburn and Bama.

Have a 13 game regular season. Play 10 conference games each year. Require each conference to have a Championship game. Expand to 16 team playoff.

I would love the opportunity for the Vols to play 18 games every year. That would give me the opportunity to watch them more. As for now the max is 15 games. I’ve been counting the Orange & White game and the Signing Day Celebration Breakfast as must see events.
I cant stress enough that 16 teams is a horrible idea.

To get more interest, we need the Cinderella story. That can't happen if only blue bloods are in. An eight game playoff would help odds for more excitement.

I agree with this. I'd personally like it to expand to 8 teams, with the first round hosted by the higher seed. You can make it the P5 champions get an auto bid, the highest ranked non-P5 team gets a bid, and then 2 at large. And yes, #9 will always complain but you know what, win your conference if you want a sure spot at the table. The non-P5 team would create the Cinderalla potential.

I get the argument is then we'll cry for 16 teams and yeah eventually that will probably happen, but the glacier speed we're going I doubt we have to worry about any of that for a good while.

Why? They've always been exhibition games. What's magical about 6 or 7 or 8 wins being the minimum if somebody is willing to pony up the money and put on a game?. ...And there have always been 6 and 7 win teams in bowl games. It's just that the selections were political and to sell seats.

People are pining for good ole days that never really were.

This X 1000.

They would have to shorten the regular season to 11 games which is the way it used to be. This would also eliminate the glorified scrimmage which most teams schedule.

The biggest problem with the "glorified scrimmage" is for the smaller team it's a big pay day that they need. I get we all really don't like these games but a lof of these programs won't exist without them. I mean we can go the route of "then maybe they need to die" but that seems a bit harsh.

If it's just entertainment and doesnt matter, seems like you shouldn't care what happens one way or the other or how they even decide to determine a champion? Why even care if UT wins today or not? What difference does a W or L make?
You should try reading my post again. I said nothing of "great importance" is decided on a football field. I didn't say I don't care if UT wins or not but no one other than UT fans will care which means it wasn't an event of great importance. It's the same with a split title or a playoff. If it isn't the team that you cheer for, what does it matter. Off the top of my head, I don't remember who won the NC in 87,93, 2001, or 2009 because it's not really that important. I remember 98 only because it was UT.

VN Store

Back