Bring one player back from any era for this team ...

How many SEC titles did Clausen win? How do their win percentages compare?

Peyton was 39-6 as a starter (3 losses to Fl, 1 to Ala, 1 to Neb and 1 to Memphis. 1-0 in SEC Title games and carried his sloppy brethren that night (I was there). 3-1 in bowl starts.

Clausen was 34-10 with no SEC titles.

Peyton by a landslide. And that is no knock n Clausen.

Those pesky, pesky facts.

Last edited:
I know this will make some mad. But in a Tennessee uniform.... I would take Casey Clausen over Peyton if I could put a QB from the past on this years team.
Casey as a college QB was better than Peyton on game day. Dude had ice water in his veins.
Unlike Peyton who would get scared and choke when you needed him.

That's a really interesting opinion. I know some people here would say you're an idiot, but I applaud you for taking a bold stand.

Soooo.. how are we defining “era” in here? 🤔 Bc I wouldn’t exactly say Peyton, Al, Casey, etc. are from this “era.”

I’m thinking more along the lines of from Eric Berry to present.

I'll take Heath Shuler or the Ice Man and Eric Berry.(If we're doing one for each side)

Pick one? I'll abide by the rules.

Dobbs....
Funny thing Calloway was MUCH better than Josh Malone at adjusting to bad passes. Highpointing etc

Jennings had his best year with Dobbs at QB and he was #3 receiver?

The running and playmaking ability would have really helped this years young o-line

We're probably a 8-2 ball club with him at QB this season
I could easily see 9-1 with Dobbs. Some of the runs Maurer had this season would be touchdowns with Dobbs. Dobbs kept Jones career alive.

Last edited:
The people who didn’t have the pleasure to witness this man’s greatness...missed out!

The best we’ve ever had, imo...
Agree. There are others in the conversation, beginning with Johnnie Jones back in the 80s. But yes, I agree, in the time that I’ve been watching Tennessee play football, since 1973-74, Webb is the best Vol running back I’ve seen. Lewis, Cobb, Henry, Stephens, Garner, all those guys were great.....but imho, Webb is the best.

I know this will make some mad. But in a Tennessee uniform.... I would take Casey Clausen over Peyton if I could put a QB from the past on this years team.
Casey as a college QB was better than Peyton on game day. Dude had ice water in his veins.
Unlike Peyton who would get scared and choke when you needed him.
This is easily the dumbest thing I’ve read on VN in awhile. No offense to Casey, you’re right that he won some huge games at Tennessee, especially on the road. But damn dude, PM was 39-6 as a starter at Tennessee. You telling me he didn’t play well in big games and on the road as well when he only lost 6 of 45 games? You telling me Peyton “choked” in those wins vs Bama, in the SEC championship game vs Auburn, in those wins vs Georgia, even in the bowl game vs Ohio State??

Some people are wayyyy hung up on the 0-3 record vs Florida. (Btw, no way he deserved to lose as the starter at Florida in 1995 .....300+ yds, 2 tds, no turnovers, offense scored 30 points....DEFENSE lost that game when it collapsed in the second half). Take the 0-3 vs Fla away and he was 39-3 at Tennessee as a starter. 39. And. 3.

There’s a reason why it was Manning, not Clausen, who was a Heisman candidate for 3 years, an All-American and the first overall pick in the nfl draft and not Casey....and it’s NOT because Peyton “choked on game days”.

VN Store

Back