2020 Softball Recruiting Class

I think Phillips will play third or catcher agree that Shipman is the catcher if her legs can take the strain of that position. Outfield is full so you want Webber in the lineup and she can play first or DH. I think Morgan is in at first because of her defensive skills haven't seen what Webber looks like in the field know she can hit the ball. A really nice problem to have that you have so many players that can play different positions.

Reactions: sccshortstop
Seggern played SS with Phillips, Osbron basically rotating between catcher and third during most of the fall ball games...
I think Phillips will open at third with Seggern at SS ,Shipman catching... ....JMO...

Seggern played SS with Phillips, Osbron basically rotating between catcher and third during most of the fall ball games...
I think Phillips will open at third with Seggern at SS ,Shipman catching... ....JMO...
Looks like Osbron no longer with the team.

I think Phillips will play third or catcher agree that Shipman is the catcher if her legs can take the strain of that position. Outfield is full so you want Webber in the lineup and she can play first or DH. I think Morgan is in at first because of her defensive skills haven't seen what Webber looks like in the field know she can hit the ball. A really nice problem to have that you have so many players that can play different positions.
Morgan will have to not hit for her to sit. She has streaks but she needs to hit better and Marc should help with that. Webber DH and Ally will be well enough to squat to catch by Feb. Has already began to work out those kinks from what I hear. I think the hitting will be better overall than its been for several years. If pitching hold true to form and the new lefty and the other pitchers we will be fine. Speed and power is a good weapon to have.

Oh I get it. But being that she was injured and coming in to play as a freshman is tough, especially in the SEC. I would’ve liked to see her finish out. Very few freshmen have early success much less coming off an injury. She also comes from a HS that now has a hc that quit UT over differences, but she stuck it out till her Sr year. I just absolutely hate seeing kids leave and wasting a year of investment
McSwain only lasted one season as a coach. She looked overwhelmed and in over her head the games I saw. They are in our district and in talking to folks from there, she pretty much quit on the kids midseason and had no clue how to coach. I think the assistant wound up doing most of the coaching. I guess some people think it is okay to quitwhen the going gets tough.

Reactions: sccshortstop
McSwain only lasted one season as a coach. She looked overwhelmed and in over her head the games I saw. They are in our district and in talking to folks from there, she pretty much quit on the kids midseason and had no clue how to coach. I think the assistant wound up doing most of the coaching. I guess some people think it is okay to quitwhen the going gets tough.
Did not know that. It’s really not that tough maybe she’s just tired of softball. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Seg has 3rd locked down and her bat is pretty good
I don't think that there is any question that Seggrens best position is 3rd and has always been! The question is whether the shortstop position is more important for the team than what is best for 3rd base. My thinking is CS will most likely start at short at least until someone else can hit and play there effectively. The old baseball adage is strong up the middle and with her at short and ally catching and milloy in center and parsons at 2nd will be the strongest.

Reactions: Nickid1975
I don't think that there is any question that Seggrens best position is 3rd and has always been! The question is whether the shortstop position is more important for the team than what is best for 3rd base. My thinking is CS will most likely start at short at least until someone else can hit and play there effectively. The old baseball adage is strong up the middle and with her at short and ally catching and milloy in center and parsons at 2nd will be the strongest.
I watched several of the fall softball games and Chelsea Seggern generally struggled at shortshop. She doesn't have the speed or range to play an effective shortstop and she looked uncomfortable at the position. She doesn't pick up the travel of the ball at short like she does at third. There is a big difference between playing shortstop and third base. I have played both in softball. However, she is a natural at third base and is one of the best we have had there. I don't know why the Weekly's are so insistent on playing her at short. I think they would be better off playing Josie Willingham at shortstop or even Kaitlin Parsons. Parsons played shortstop in high school and definitely has the arm. Willingham or McCrary could also play at second base. I definitely think the Weeklys should trust one of the underclassmen to play shortstop.

I watched several of the fall softball games and Chelsea Seggern generally struggled at shortshop. She doesn't have the speed or range to play an effective shortstop and she looked uncomfortable at the position. She doesn't pick up the travel of the ball at short like she does at third. There is a big difference between playing shortstop and third base. I have played both in softball. However, she is a natural at third base and is one of the best we have had there. I don't know why the Weekly's are so insistent on playing her at short. I think they would be better off playing Josie Willingham at shortstop or even Kaitlin Parsons. Parsons played shortstop in high school and definitely has the arm. Willingham or McCrary could also play at second base. I definitely think the Weeklys should trust one of the underclassmen to play shortstop.

It’s all about getting your top 9 hitters in the lineup. Willingham is not in the top 9. Parsons’s has nowhere near the arm strength to play short, also had the worst fielding percentage of all the infielders last year. Osbron was supposed to take the position last year, but failed to hit enough to stay in the lineup. Seggern will be the starting shortstop come February. Phillips and or Mccrary will play 3rd.

I have played and coached baseball and softball all my ancient life. Not to argue at all but if CS does not start at short we have found a good one who hits in her spot. I have already stated that Willingham would be my choice at some point and again that big difficult word HIT would determine who that is. CS played short some last year and I agree she is lacking in several areas and 3rd is her potential AA position. Don't mean she will be there and the Weekleys have shown that they do their on thing and often they are head scratchers! Shouda, couda, and woulda is strange bird and often no achieved. CS is the best 3rd basement we have had ever in my opinion. I did not see any of the fall games since I am 500 miles from Kville so I will defer to your thoughts as well. JMHO as always!! SHORTSTOP!

I would certainly prefer Phillips at 3B over catcher. She is underwhelming defensively behind the plate.

If Pacini can hit she will get time at DH and/or catcher. Or she could get some time at 1B, especially if Morgan continues to underwhelm, hitting-wise.

Also, will be interesting to see where Hannon fits in, especially if Milloy is as good as advertised. I can see those two both being in the lineup with one in CF and one at DH.

It's a little scary that Seggern is our team's best SS, because she isn't very good there. Will be interesting to see if any of the freshman can come alive offensively, if they can play there, like Webber or McCrary.

I would certainly prefer Phillips at 3B over catcher. She is underwhelming defensively behind the plate.

If Pacini can hit she will get time at DH and/or catcher. Or she could get some time at 1B, especially if Morgan continues to underwhelm, hitting-wise.

Also, will be interesting to see where Hannon fits in, especially if Milloy is as good as advertised. I can see those two both being in the lineup with one in CF and one at DH.

It's a little scary that Seggern is our team's best SS, because she isn't very good there. Will be interesting to see if any of the freshman can come alive offensively, if they can play there, like Webber or McCrary.
I thought Pacini was injured and redshirting! Phillips will not see many games behind the plate either.

I saw a couple of fall games where Hannon was playing 2nd base and looked good. She could challenge for the position, since Milloy looks to take over center. Pancini had an ACL tear I heard and looks to be back in 2021.

Reactions: lvfan
I think Mcrary can fill 1b and the dilemma is ss. CS is a 3rd all day and if she has to slide to ss its an indictment on their recruiting.

I think Mcrary can fill 1b and the dilemma is ss. CS is a 3rd all day and if she has to slide to ss its an indictment on their recruiting.
I would not say that at all. Osbron was to fill that ss spot and was recruited as such. Her getting hurt her senior year set her back to much to overcome in defense and offense. Her quitting is best now rather than next year which leads me to think a freshman can step in if not immediately then later in the year. No one on this board has gripped about CS having to play ss more than me. I also did not like moving Leach there from second either. Sometime coaches have to play to win the war not every battle. Phillips is ok for 3rd especially if she hits. I cannot evaluate the freshmen until is see them which i have not so maybe one or two other than Milloy will surprise us all. Morgan is at first for defense and if she can hit then she is there regardless. Hannon is flexible so she is a possible 4th outfielder when Jenna keeps stepping out of the box. JMHO as always!! SHORTSTOP

Last edited:
Reactions: Nickid1975
I would not say that at all. Osbron was to fill that ss spot and was recruited as such. Her getting hurt her senior year set her back to much to overcome in defense and offense. Her quitting is best now rather than next year which leads me to think a freshman can step in if not immediately then later in the year. No one on this board has gripped about CS having to play ss more than me. I also did not like moving Leach there from second either. Sometime coaches have to play to win the war not every battle. Phillips is ok for 3rd especially if she hits. I cannot evaluate the freshmen until is see them which i have not so maybe one or two other than Milloy will surprise us all. Morgan is at first for defense and if she can hit then she is there regardless. Hannon is flexible so she is a possible 4th outfielder when Jenna keeps stepping out of the box. JMHO as always!! SHORTSTOP
Agree with you on all that but I would’ve hoped to see the future at ss in fall ball and Im still not sold. If Osbron was their best option they should’ve, and may have, made it impossible for her to leave. Not sure if she’s in the portal or getting completely out of sb.

VN Store

Back