'20 UY PG Santiago Vescovi (UT commit 11/22/19)

Of course, right now, it is a very small sample size, but I think its beginning to be fair to question how much point guard James is going to play this year. Barnes seems to want the ball in the hands of Turner, at this point.

So, Vescovi could become the backup to LT and still not pass JJJ in the actual rotation because it appears as though James is playing almost exclusively off the ball as a 3rd guard. Vescovi's presence could simply be an effort to not have to play Turner for 39 minutes/gm at the point.
Can we all agree James is still trying to find his way is the college game and should improve steadily as he gets more comfortable? That being the case, the last place I’d want him right now is at point

Expecting a 3* 2020 recruit to come in mid-year and eventually start in his first semester is a bit crazy. Especially over JJJ who will have had several games/practices with the team and was a 5* recruit.

I think at best he would be our 3rd option at PG.

Not saying he wouldn't contribute but i'd lower expectations a bit lol
3*?

That kid can flat play. I hope we get him, his potential in a year or two is tremendous, if he has the right attitude.

You're aware those are place holder rankings, correct? They have no meaning. Most recruiting sites do not evaluate an international prospect until they verbally commit to a school. According to Evan Daniels when Vescovi commits he's looking to be a 4 star top 100 player on 247

You're aware those are place holder rankings, correct? They have no meaning. Most recruiting sites do not evaluate an international prospect until they verbally commit to a school. According to Evan Daniels when Vescovi commits he's looking to be a 4 star top 100 player on 247

Even as a 4 star top 100 player, it's a lot to expect him to come mid-year and work his way into the starting five. That is what dallas had posted originally.

Maybe I'm being pessimistic.

Even as a 4 star top 100 player, it's a lot to expect him to come mid-year and work his way into the starting five. That is what dallas had posted originally.

Maybe I'm being pessimistic.

Gotcha. Starting 5 is out of the realm of possibility in my book. Great ball handler and passer off the bench so Turner can rest though is something I think he certainly could be

Gotcha. Starting 5 is out of the realm of possibility in my book. Great ball handler and passer off the bench so Turner can rest though is something I think he certainly could be

Definitely could see that.

Can we all agree James is still trying to find his way is the college game and should improve steadily as he gets more comfortable? That being the case, the last place I’d want him right now is at point
Yep, I stated as much in defense of him just the other day following our game vs Murray St. And I agree, while James is still acclimating himself into this team, PG is probably too much for him.

Reactions: walkenvol
not sure I would put stock in that...rivals (the only service to rank him) hasn’t watched him, and Evan Daniels of 247 (who has watched him) said he would be a Top 75 4 star once he commits

I get that, but my point was it is unlikely he overtakes JJJ in the rotation/ starting 5 and becomes our starting PG as a true freshman who joined the team mid-season

I get that, but my point was it is unlikely he overtakes JJJ in the rotation/ starting 5 and becomes our starting PG as a true freshman who joined the team mid-season
Yea I definitely agree with that. I think best case is he comes in and after getting acclimated is like 7-8 man off the bench and is getting ~15mpg.

We don't really have a backup point guard option right now. It's essentially Turner or bust. JJJ isn't ready to play point right now. Maybe by January he would be, but idk. This guy is more college ready only because he's been playing against professionals. Playing sec players isn't a huge adjustment like it is compared to playing high schoolers.

Was doing some more research and here is somethings I found. Vescovi sounds like a Rick Barnes player from the ozy article. From the usatoday article, it sounds like he is still in the process of learning English.
https://www.ozy.com/the-huddle/a-gritty-guard-aims-to-put-uruguay-on-the-basketball-map/95708/
Santiago Vescovi credits the NBA Academy for growing 'in every aspect'
Santiago Vescovi Player Profile, Uruguay National Team, International Stats, Events Stats, Game Logs, Awards - RealGM
ScoreBreak

Desperately need help. Look at the minutes Turner and Bowden are already averaging.
They're seniors and signing Santiago will not help their minutes this year. Barnes is moving to a guard dominated offense and we really need this guy for next year though.

They're seniors and signing Santiago will not help their minutes this year. Barnes is moving to a guard dominated offense and we really need this guy for next year though.
I think the discussion was about getting him as a mid term enrollee THIS year.

Next year Bailey will contribute. It would be great to have SV get a year of SEC play and the post season for the experience AND he can give Turner some relief.

VN Store

Back