Interesting practice note: Pruitt had them practicing out in the cold... Butch however...

KnoxRealtorVOL

First of his name
Per Patrick Brown on 247’s practice report, Butch would have the team practice indoors if the temps neared 40 degrees. Now we know how the 2016 team lost to SC and Vandy late in the season. Unreal.

“Temperatures in the mid-30s didn't chase Tennessee indoors on Wednesday as the Vols were outside at Haslam Field instead of on the indoor field inside the Anderson Training Center. Again, this is a departure past coaching regimes. The Vols would stay indoors for practice if the temperature neared 40 degrees when Butch Jones was the coach despite his coaching past including stops at Central Michigan and Cincinnati.
Tennessee coach Jeremy Pruitt is old school, though, and his dad is a long-time high school coach who never had access to an indoor practice facility to use for those late-season playoff practices. Thus Pruitt had the Vols outside in the cold.”

Not practicing in the cold can have a big affect on a game, especially if you’re not use to it. It can hurt you in many different ways. I didn’t even know that Butch practiced inside like that. Now, just another story of how Butch didn’t use his freaking brain or something. Another way to lose games in the cold. No wonder when it turned cold and we had to play those teams under Butch we struggled.

At Missouri, Vols play in program's fourth-coldest game
November 22nd, 2015 | by Patrick Brown
1448169347_AP_412728196930_t400_h97efb6c2826079144b1b866e5255f0b0aba5b131.jpg
Tennessee quarterback Joshua Dobbs, center, throws a pass between teammates Jalen Hurd, left, and Dylan Wiesman, right, during the first half of an NCAA college football game against Missouri, Saturday, Nov. 21, 2015, in Columbia, Mo. (AP Photo/L.G. Patterson)
BIG ORANGE TURNING BLUE
With the temperature at kickoff of 28 degrees, Tennessee’s game at Missouri on Saturday night was the fourth-coldest on record in the program’s history. Here’s a list of the 10 coldest games the Vols have played since 1950, according to Tennessee’s sports information staff.
10 degrees: Nov. 25, 1950 vs. Kentucky in Knoxville (W 7-0)
18 degrees: Nov. 22, 1952 vs. Kentucky in Knoxville (T 14-14)
25 degrees: Nov. 26, 1977 vs. Vanderbilt in Knoxville (W 42-7)
29 degrees: Jan. 1, 2001 vs. Kansas State in the Cotton Bowl in Dallas (L 35-21)
30 degrees: Nov. 21, 1981 at Kentucky in Lexington (W 45-14)
30 degrees: Nov. 29, 2003 at Kentucky in Lexington (W 20-7)
31 degrees: Nov. 30, 1957 vs. Vanderbilt in Knoxville (W 20-6)
31 degrees: Nov. 21, 1987 at Kentucky in Lexington (W 24-22)
32 degrees: Nov. 18, 2000 vs. Kentucky in Knoxville (W 59-20)
33 degrees: Jan. 1, 1969 vs. Texas in the Cotton Bowl in Dallas (L 13-36)
facebook
COLUMBIA, Mo. — Tennessee spent the week practicing either indoors or outside in weather approaching 70 degrees.
That was in stark contrast to what the Volunteers ran into at Missouri on Saturday night.
The temperature dropped to 28 degrees by the 6:15 p.m. local time kickoff, which made the game the fourth-coldest on record in Tennessee program history. It was the coldest game the Vols have played since 1977 against Vanderbilt in Knoxville.
ADVERTISING

Tennessee coach Butch Jones said during the week he wished the weather in Knoxville was colder so his team could better prepare for what they would play in on Saturday night.
"I was hoping for a little bit of colder weather in preparation this week, but we haven't had that," he said Wednesday. "You talk about it and you embrace it. Both teams have to play in it."
The Vols held a walk-through at Faurot Field earlier Saturday afternoon, and some players embraced the freezing temperatures and brutal winds shortly after arriving a couple of hours before kickoff by taking their shirts off.
Tennessee had portable heaters and heated benches on their sideline during the game.
In similar chilly temperatures before last season's South Carolina game, many of the defensive players warmed up without shirts, and many of the players warmed up in short-sleeve and sleeveless shirts at Missouri.
None of Tennessee's players wore sleeves during the game.
"You really don't feel it," linebacker Jalen Reeves-Maybin said. "Once you get going, your body gets warm. You get cold on the sideline, but once you're on the field you've got other problems to worry about besides how cold you are."
The forecasted cold was a talking point for the Vols during the week, and some players were more wary about it than others.
"I'm from the Midwest, so I'm used to cold weather," said freshman linebacker Darrin Kirkland Jr., an Indianapolis native. "My last high school game it snowed like four inches. I'm just kind of used to it and hoping for some crazy weather. It's going to be a crazy environment to be in, so any variable we play in is going to be fun."
Said senior safety and Georgia native Brian Randolph: "I don't like the cold."
Saturday night's game may have been one of the coldest Tennessee's played in history, but Kirkland shrugged it off.
"It's not as cold as what I've ever experienced," he said proudly. "I think the coldest I've ever been in is negative-30 at home. It can't be that."
It wasn't, but it probably felt like that to some of the Vols in Columbia.
"That's challenging in terms of how do you simulate it in practice, but you have to start controlling your mind," Jones said. "We call those uncontrollable factors. That's part of the game, and it's being locked in that zone, having that mental focus and preparing for it."
Contact Patrick Brown at pbrown@timesfreepress.com
Noticed the date at the top, and then read a couple of paragraphs, to where this article says they practiced indoors and outdoors. What the heck was he thinking?

Sounds like, based on Brown's own article at the time, that we did practice outdoors and that Butch was aware of the importance of doing so to acclimate the team to those conditions. There are lots of reasons to practice indoors. That's why every major program, including the most successful ones, have spent millions of dollars building indoor facilities. And the 2015 article says we practiced both inside and outside in preparation for that game. So it seems like this is just another convenient tidbit of red meat for the fans who just can't seem to move on.

so, OD, if it gets below 33 our chances to win get better...bring on the orange and whiteout...:D:D

GO BIG ORANGE...BEAT MIZZOU!

Reactions: FïreBall
I think it was UGA-FL and the forecast was rain. Kirby had the footballs splashed with fire hoses to keep everything wet so the team would be ready if the storm hit. It didn’t .., but they were ready.

Reactions: savannahfan
Butch Jones was a band member, he coached and acted like one as well

Butch Jones has 84 wins as a college football head coach, 4 conference championships and is 4-2 in bowl games. He didn't get the job done here, but I don't think it was from lack of trying. He did some good things and now he's gone. Ultimately, he's not the one to blame for the downfall of the program.

Per Patrick Brown on 247’s practice report, Butch would have the team practice indoors if the temps neared 40 degrees. Now we know how the 2016 team lost to SC and Vandy late in the season. Unreal.

“Temperatures in the mid-30s didn't chase Tennessee indoors on Wednesday as the Vols were outside at Haslam Field instead of on the indoor field inside the Anderson Training Center. Again, this is a departure past coaching regimes. The Vols would stay indoors for practice if the temperature neared 40 degrees when Butch Jones was the coach despite his coaching past including stops at Central Michigan and Cincinnati.
Tennessee coach Jeremy Pruitt is old school, though, and his dad is a long-time high school coach who never had access to an indoor practice facility to use for those late-season playoff practices. Thus Pruitt had the Vols outside in the cold.”

Honest question, but did the media not report that Butch was doing back in his days? Like seems odd the media wouldn't report that as some sort of issue.

Butch Jones has 84 wins as a college football head coach, 4 conference championships and is 4-2 in bowl games. He didn't get the job done here, but I don't think it was from lack of trying. He did some good things and now he's gone. Ultimately, he's not the one to blame for the downfall of the program.

Whoa buddy. Let's not fall for the Butch scheme of "4 conference titles in 6 seasons" jargon..... CMU sure, but the guy was never an outright champion at Cincy.

Reactions: lifeisdeep

VN Store

Back