Games decided by goal line stands

I think the OT KY game was in 2007 in Lexington, the year we won the east
You are correct. I was hazy on that one. Didn't we barely squeak by kentucky in 2001 and then went the following week and beat Florida in the swamp when no one gave us a chance?

The UK game in 1987 also came down to a goal line stand. Tennessee was up 24-20 when UK got a first and goal at the 5 with about 2 minutes to play in the game. Mark Higgs tried 4 times. UT hero, Michael Whitehead who torpedoed the last 4th and goal dive, passed away last year - there was an obituary of him in the KNS.

You are correct. I was hazy on that one. Didn't we barely squeak by kentucky in 2001 and then went the following week and beat Florida in the swamp when no one gave us a chance?

In 2001 KY jumped put to a 21-0 lead and then Casey and Donte began the comeback. Was a wild game and KY was driving when the KY player fumbled and UT recovered.

Reactions: PowerT4me
Citrus Bowl against Ohio State comes to mind. Bill Duff bowed his neck and stopped Eddie George butt cold

That was one of the messiest games I've ever been at. The field was a muddy disaster. Marching halftime on it was like trudging through a swamp.

But at around the 1h09m Mark in the video, I got up the liquid courage to shake Eddie George's hand and congratulate him on winning the Heisman. Then Graham took off on that touchdown run and Eddie ran cursing to the sideline.

The bottle of vodka in my uniform jacket didn't last the game.

Seems like Peyton & Vols vs Ohio St bowl game came down to a goalie stand

I think it was late in the game, but not "decided" by it. Their QB Hoying laid an egg on their "game winning" drive to lose it for them later iirc. But, that's goal line play stuffing Eddie George was one of the most memorable all-time Vol plays IMO. That play was totally blown up by the incredible gap shot by LB Jesse Sanders. He completely destroys George's leading FB in the hole, stuffing EG just long enough for Bill Duff to clean it up. Huge 4th down stop that puts OSU in the lead late in a low-scoring game on a soaked field.

Reactions: PowerT4me

VN Store

Back