Guarantano - Senior Season

Russdaddy2027

Vols refugee living under duress in Georgia
We all know about JG’s inconsistencies in the past. We also now see that at times his experience and knowledge can get us a W in some tight spots. I have been pretty critical of his performance thus far going as far to say I wish he would just quit or transfer.
I’m walking that back. I’m glad he is in orange and I hope he sticks around for next year!
anyone else agree?

I still think JG plays better coming off the bench than he does as a starter. I would not change it. When he comes off the bench he seems more clam and engaged but as a starter he acts like his mind in running 100 miles an hour and cant settle down. I gave him his props last night and he played great.

He has overcome some adversity I will give him credit. I don't think we win without him last night, Mauer suddenly looked like a freshman again. Perfect backup QB. 6 for 6 off the bench to open the 2nd half.

I think him not getting any reps last week really hurt him. If he was not able then I get that but if he was ready then he should had gotten some reps. He has a high ceiling but he had some good moments last night. Tn biggest problem is they have no running game and continue to run up the middle, they run decent on the edges but zero up the middle.

We all know about JG’s inconsistencies in the past. We also now see that at times his experience and knowledge can get us a W in some tight spots. I have been pretty critical of his performance thus far going as far to say I wish he would just quit or transfer.
I’m walking that back. I’m glad he is in orange and I hope he sticks around for next year!
anyone else agree?
I hope they give him the ball against MO to start and he plays lights out. He needs to string together good perdormances in games we should win for me to be convinced. Having said that, he pushed us over the finish line last night by cutting back into the D, took a huge hit on his left arm and made the first. Earlier in the year he stepped out when the heat came. He earned the start against MO.

It's my honest belief that JG is better than we all realize. He hasn't had an OL that was worth owl poop during his time here. Now the OL is doing at least an adequate job. If that OL gets any better than it is playing now, I think we won't be surprised at a wholly new JG, but utterly, though pleasantly shocked.

Last edited:
Something has changed with JG. Maybe he was humbled by being benched, maybe he was putting too much pressure on himself to be perfect, maybe by sitting for a while and watching BM he realized his shortcomings but for whatever reason I think he playing his best ball in two years and I hope he continues to play well. That said, I believe Bailey is the future. After having watched him at Marietta this year I believe he is the real deal and will be a game changer and I wouldn't mind rolling with him next year even though he's only a freshman ... a la Jake Fromm.

I hope he sticks around. I know lots of people are thinking HB is the automatic starter next year but I’m not convinced.

Guarantano graduated in May of this year. If he comes back next year, he has a decent chance of completing (or nearly completing) his Master’s degree by the end of the 2020-2021 academic year. As a scholarship athlete who certainly isn’t going to play in the NFL, that’s a pretty strong incentive.

The biggest change in JG is that he finally has an oline in front of him that he can trust. Took a while for him to realize it this season but once he did his confidence bloomed and so did his performance. Took some high character to stick it out and end up where he is now. Good for him.

JG has all the physical tools to be a very good QB. He’s shown outstanding physical toughness.... now he’s shown us his mental toughness.
If he can somehow work through his tendency to hold the ball too long he’ll be the QB we all thought he was going to be

Last edited:
Don't really know what to think. Been crtical
myself of him. His weak point is inconsistent
from week to week. Wish him the best and hope he can overcome it. Agree he plays better coming off the bench instead of being a starter. I think it's him and Maurer the rest of the season. Shrout seems to be in JP' s dog house.

Guarantano - Senior Season

Will be at Rutgers...

Maybe, but 90% of the JG predictions lately have been WRONG. Looks like people would get tired of being wrong and just be quiet. Lol.

tenor.gif

With his play last night, he has shown why he gives us the best chance to win. He handles the offense better than the others.

His biggest problem is inconsistency. We don't really know is Shrout or Maurer is any more consistent. As long as he doesn't make boneheaded plays, I support the way coach is using him.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan

VN Store

Back