Is targeting called on offense?

Honest question. Offense can launch and/or lower helmet and ive never seen a targeting call.

Yes. Anyone who meets the 3 criteria for targeting can be called for it. Offensive players rarely launch and lead though.

That's because we do it a lot and what we saw on instant replay was the definition of targeting. Have no idea why the replay ref reversed the call.

If you're referring to the call in this game it wasn't close to targeting. The ref was overruled because he missed it badly.

Yes, but that is only one of 3 elements required for targeting.

Not true. Only one indicator is needed when it's the crown of the helmet.

Targeting and Making Forcible Contact With the Crown of the Helmet (Rule 9-1-3)

• No player shall target and make forcible contact against an opponent with the crown of his helmet. This foul requires that there be at least one indicator of targeting. When in question, it is a foul.

Reactions: I40flyer
That's because we do it a lot and what we saw on instant replay was the definition of targeting. Have no idea why the replay ref reversed the call.

You serious? If you watch it again in slow motion the ball carrier and the defender's heads literally do the exact same thing. So please tell me why the defender should be penalized?

There was a targeting call in the Iowa st Oklahoma game where the offensive player lowered his helmet into the defensive player a split second before contact, targeting was called on the field. Lucky for the player it was overturned with replay, but I believe this is the biggest issue with the rule.

Until offensive players start being penalized for ducking their heads injuries are going to happen and defensive players are going to get screwed on ejections.

We will be the first team to have a punter called for targeting.

I have zero trust in SEC officiating.
Neither do I. They rip Calloway's helmet off nothing happens, we touch their qb 15 yard roughing. The league office needs to leave Birmingham

Reactions: Vol524
Targeting is called whenever the dumb SEC refs want to judge the call. According to the bozo they interview weekly the one last night on Taylor can go either way.

Then the penalty of targeting should be deleted from the rule book. It was textbook targeting.

No, it wasn't at all. Targeting requires crown of the helmet, some form of launch or crouch into the player, and using more or extra force than was required in the normal course of making a tackle or hit. All 3 have to be present for it to be targeting. Only the crown of the helmet was involved in it.

VN Store

Back