Did we sell our full allotment of tix to Lexington?

During the Florida game (the highest attendance game of the year) we had 88,000, last week we did NOT have that big a crowd. You can not go by the number of tickets sold, that means nothing-unless you are the AD. During the Florida game, we had sold 100,000 tickets-no correlation between number sold and number attending (obviously the number will never be larger in reverse). My guess is 70,000 in attendance.
Ummm, the Florida game was at Florida field in Gainesville.

Ummm, the Florida game was at Florida field in Gainesville.
Really? I did not know that. Oh, I see the problem, thanks, I can see why you are totally confused. THE LAST time we played FL, in Neyland the highest attended game of the year-LAST YEAR, not this year, as we didn't play FL at home this year, was about 88,000. FOR THOSE that attended the FL game LAST YEAR, NOT THIS YEAR, you will easily recall we did not have that big a crowd last SAT. Hope this helps. Thanks again for the heads up, I'm betting there are a lot of others just as confused as you were, glad I had this chance to fix it! I have also clarified my original post-to reflect the LAST FLORIDA GAME AT HOME, LAST YEAR (again not this year as we did not play Florida at home this year).

The real estimation crime here is that people think the lower bowl and the upper bowl seat the same number of people.
Fact: Last season we AVERAGED 25,000 EMPTY seats per game, this is Attendance, not tickets sold, or given away, UT gives away over 4000 tickets per game last year. The AD doesn't like to give out the Actual Attendance numbers, but freely quotes the number of tickets sold/given away; however Freedom on Information requests by several journalists has resulted in actual numbers from last year.

Reactions: 08Vol and knoxvol16
Fact: Last season we AVERAGED 25,000 EMPTY seats per game, this is Attendance, not tickets sold, or given away, UT gives away over 4000 tickets per game last year. The AD doesn't like to give out the Actual Attendance numbers, but freely quotes the number of tickets sold/given away; however Freedom on Information requests by several journalists has resulted in actual numbers from last year.
Fact: I don’t care.

Reactions: KBVol
I believe attendance has been down all around the country for most every program even many of the elite programs. Unfortunately more people staying home with 65-75 HD TVs. Cost of tickets, food, snacks, drinks, even water, has gotten so high, it's hard for some families to afford much more than one or two games a year... plus the cost of parking, the hassle, in many venues, of finding parking close to the stadiums. Plus.. unlike years ago, every game is televised. In my case I would love to get to more games every year, but the distance is one more huge obstacle for some. The atmosphere of actually being there cannot be captured by tv cameras, but for many fans today, it's just not feasible to attend a lot of games.

facts are that Tennessee football and basketball are among the most attended games in the country and we have an outstanding fan base that ranks in top 10 in attendance every year despite how good or bad our teams are. So people who complain about attendance might as well be shouting at clouds

facts are that Tennessee football and basketball are among the most attended games in the country and we have an outstanding fan base that ranks in top 10 in attendance every year despite how good or bad our teams are. So people who complain about attendance might as well be shouting at clouds
You may be correct; however the journalists that dug out the factual attendance numbers, were more interested in the plans of the AD to increase attendance, and at what cost. The Vol Pass and Beer sales are just the start, I'm expecting a lot more improvements in the very near future. With the Average price over $60.00/ticket-25,000x60= $1,500,000/game, anything(within reason) that will increase the number would be money well spent, as it would increase revenue. When you multiply that by the number of home games, we could pay off boy butch in one season.!!!
We shouldn't be second to BAMA! BAMA AVERAGED over 101,000/per game last year (2018), they did suffer a 16th of 1% drop, but they shouldn't be putting 25,000 more in their stadium every home game than we do. I hope the AD does what ever they are going to do soon.

Lower bowl seats around 66-68K, IIRC and the Upper bowl seats around 30-32K.
Correct, lower bowl has a capacity of 70k, which would still be one of the 23 biggest stadiums in college football by itself.

People who think there were 50-60k fans for anything but a spring game in recent history are either high, delusional, or stupid. Or the combination of all of those, known to most as WVU fans, Neo.

Correct, lower bowl has a capacity of 70k, which would still be one of the 23 biggest stadiums in college football by itself.

People who think there were 50-60k fans for anything but a spring game in recent history are either high, delusional, or stupid. Or the combination of all of those, known to most as WVU fans, Neo.
The seats are so narrow you could put a person in every other seat and it would look full.

I was at South Carolina, wasn't the biggest crowd ever but it was one of the loudest. I have been too packed out Neyland games that didn't come close to being as loud. Once we start consistently winning the rest of the stadium will fill. Bank on it. GBO!!!!!

I remember when WVU fans thought they had 2 million alumni who lived in Charlotte.

Reactions: SalVolinus
Funneeee post!
Bottom holds 50 and is "almost full", let's say 90% of that-45,000
Upper hold 50 and is "half full" =25,000
45,000+25,000= 70,000
Our ATTENDANCE numbers keep dropping, year after year. The AD is coming up with a new plan to make the "experience" a good one, even if the team is not winning, such as places to plug in your I-phone, and better food, etc., a real social event-taking the eye off winning. This will most likely be done at the expense of some available seating; however, for years we've heard from various UT Top Dogs, "I'll will never go below 100,000". In any case it is pure business, 30,000+empty seats=Large $$$$$ of potential income lost. Maybe half-time mud wrestling could bring in more ticket buyers. The sure way to increase the number of butts in seats, is simple, Winning. It has always worked in the past, and still works in other SEC schools (and others) it should still work here.
I’m not arguing your point but isn’t this a bit of an overreaction to a joke?

Best example of denial I have seen in a while. The lower deck was probably 70% filled last week and the upper deck may have need 30%.

Funneeee post!
45,000+25,000= 70,000
Our ATTENDANCE numbers keep dropping, year after year. The AD is coming up with a new plan to make the "experience" a good one, even if the team is not winning, such as places to plug in your I-phone, and better food, etc., a real social event-taking the eye off winning. This will most likely be done at the expense of some available seating; however, for years we've heard from various UT Top Dogs, "I'll will never go below 100,000". In any case it is pure business, 30,000+empty seats=Large $$$$$ of potential income lost. Maybe half-time mud wrestling could bring in more ticket buyers. The sure way to increase the number of butts in seats, is simple, Winning. It has always worked in the past, and still works in other SEC schools (and others) it should still work here.
Bottom was not 90% full, more like 75%. And the upper deck was more like 35%.

Funneeee post!
45,000+25,000= 70,000

Not a rocket scientist or anything close, but the lower bowl has basically 60 rows and the upper deck has 30ish so out of 102,455 I am willing to bet it ain't 50/50 split.... plus some of the uppers are not tight bench type seats, but chair type... now
the pie shaped sections in the corners are more pronounced in the lower deck so who knows for sure what the split is, but nowhere close to the analysis provided..

VN Store

Back