UT v. KY Starting OL Lineup

The never JG crowd will not reply to this post because as you know stats mean very little to them!!
Yeah.... just like the JG kool-aid drinkers avoid looking at those very same stats in context.

Compare JG with BM in the games where both played meaningful snaps- UGA, MSU, and Bama. Of course those "stats" mean nothing to the JG cult members.

I like JG and sometimes he's a serviceable QB. I get mad as hell at him too. I look at the sacks and assume many of those are from holding the ball waaay too long. How many of those sacks took us out of position to get another first down or kick a fg and get points? IDK, just spit balling here. His stats are okay, but just okay. Maurer and Shrout just look to have more tools overall as QBs along with the learning curve that goes with being freshmen and learning to play in the SEC. My guess is by their Jr/Sr year, their stats will be significantly better than JG's where he is now in his development within this program. Having said that, you go with whomever has the hot hand. If it's JG, fine. Maurer? Let it ride. Shrout? Let er' rip tater chip. Don't rotate for the sake of rotating. Leave a guy in if he's hot and we'll win out. If Maurer is 100% healthy, he's my starter. JMO.

It will definitely be a war in the trenches Sat. night. I like our chances. I do hope Maurer can hit some strikes down the field - our receivers vs their defensive backs is where I see our biggest advantage.
I’ll believe Maurer plays again when I see it.

Reactions: VolinMC
Our Oline has only been modestly better since last season just look at the stats.
You’re surely kidding. Stats, smats.....the OL is greatly improved and anybody with any football sense/acumen can see it clearly. Nowhere near as much pressure on the QBs and much better/more consistency in the run game. It’s really not close. Clearly Chaney has made a huge difference.

You’re surely kidding. Stats, smats.....the OL is greatly improved and anybody with any football sense/acumen can see it clearly. Nowhere near as much pressure on the QBs and much better/more consistency in the run game. It’s really not close. Clearly Chaney has made a huge difference.
They’re improved no doubt especially in pass protection but if you compare the stats it’s hard to see it the difference.

They’re improved no doubt especially in pass protection but if you compare the stats it’s hard to see it the difference.
That’s why I said “stats smats”. Don’t get me wrong, I’m in large part a stats guy, because ultimately, stats measure production which is directly correlated to performance. It’s why top players and heisman trophy winners get their stats plastered all over the place when they’re being touted/promoted.

However, in this case, the 2 don’t correlate too well IMHO. Is the OL “dominant”? No, not even close. But they’re competent and have at times imposed their will on other teams, think Miss State and even Alabama for a possession or two. No doubt, some good, competent QB play this year would’ve made them look even better and the stats would be more robust as well.

Last year’s OL was atrocious, the worst I’ve ever seen, which is saying something given some of the ones we’ve had in recent years, including the 2014 line with Coleman Thomas at OT.

I can't hide that I'm concerned about our OLs health today... wish this was the bye.

That’s why I said “stats smats”. Don’t get me wrong, I’m in large part a stats guy, because ultimately, stats measure production which is directly correlated to performance. It’s why top players and heisman trophy winners get their stats plastered all over the place when they’re being touted/promoted.

However, in this case, the 2 don’t correlate too well IMHO. Is the OL “dominant”? No, not even close. But they’re competent and have at times imposed their will on other teams, think Miss State and even Alabama for a possession or two. No doubt, some good, competent QB play this year would’ve made them look even better and the stats would be more robust as well.

Last year’s OL was atrocious, the worst I’ve ever seen, which is saying something given some of the ones we’ve had in recent years, including the 2014 line with Coleman Thomas at OT.

2018 FEI RATINGS, OFFENSE | Football Outsiders

So far our offensive bust drive rate, a measure of how many of our drives go for zero or negative yardage is down from .180 to .120. That's up 54 spots since last year compared to everyone else. By no means still not great, but considering we're starting two freshmen bookend tackles, it's a minor miracle.

2018 FEI RATINGS, OFFENSE | Football Outsiders

So far our offensive bust drive rate, a measure of how many of our drives go for zero or negative yardage is down from .180 to .120. That's up 54 spots since last year compared to everyone else. By no means still not great, but considering we're starting two freshmen bookend tackles, it's a minor miracle.
Never seen that stat, thanks for the info. Only reinforces what I think I’ve seen with my own eyes. This OL is clearly much better...not nearly where we need it, but so much better than the putrid mess Friend ran out there all year long last year. I personally think it’s Chaney’s influence.

VN Store

Back