DE Jimari Butler - Commited

The fact that they all come back next year including Gooden makes me more comfortable. The real problem is for 2021
Good point. I think we should wait until signing day to close the book on this class. If we win out I bet we flip some guys especially if our Defense is the reason! That said to others’ points about player development, we may be fine with guys like Butler!

Recruiting writeup very complimentary on 247. Basically saying monster numbers this year, first year playing football, frame to put on 30-40 lbs and should play early.

Watch his film in the recruiting forum. He makes Grimes look silly. By watching the films of the two, Butler should be the high 4* and Grimes the lower ranked.

Watch his film in the recruiting forum. He makes Grimes look silly. By watching the films of the two, Butler should be the high 4* and Grimes the lower ranked.

Yea this guy isn’t replacing anyone... he’s the next Darrell Taylor type of player.... assuming 1 of Memphis Trio also plays OLB, them we hv 1 space open at ILB:.. then we’re done with LB imo

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
This is fine and to be expected. When you play like sh!t and lose to Ga St and BYU then you lose guys like Hardy and get 3 star players instead. It's all part of the rebuild. It's not like all of us haven't seen this 2 times before.

Reactions: 08Vol
Here's a good write up on him. If he adds 30 more pounds as stated in the article his measurables would be those of Jevon Kearse. Not saying he'll play like Jevon but he is compared to Clowney for his speed off the line. His tape is amazing and I find it hard to believe he's only played 1 season.
Murphy 3-star DE/OLB Jimari Butler commits to Tennessee

Basketball guy who is playing his first year of HS football. Ran a 4.59 40 at a Nike camp and has 18 sacks on the season.
Thanks. This is all we need to know. Looks like a worthwhile project, certainly more promise than a volleyball player turned football player.

Looks like he has good quickness. At 218 pounds, he will obviously need to hit the weight room though. If he commits 100% to get better and works hard, he could be awesome.

Just watched his vids then BJ Olujari's vids. He is an 86 rating per 247 and BJ a 94. Watching the vids I don't see the difference. What I do see is a few months of football after a 5 year layoff and he has a lot of upside. His frame will allow him to get big quicker as well. I also found an old BR article from February about over rated 5 stars. For instance, Arik Gilbert was one of 5 listed in the article. He ran a 4.9 40 with only a 27" verticals which doesn't compare to the NFL'ers at his position(s). Marietta has been a bit of a 7a powerhouse in Georgia and I think all these guys from Keyton to Bailey, BJ, and Arik all help each other's exposure and ratings along with all the camps they attend. Some guy like Butler shows up out if no where and he could be a real steal with great upside. I too get caught up in the star ratings but looking at the info in front of me this guy could be solid... kinda pumped actually👍

I don't spend much time in the recruiting forum any more. They complain about the FF but there's more drama over there by far.

These kids have their own thoughts and reasons. If Auburn made a good sales pitch then Hardy may have reasons not related to dissing UT or its coaches. If Baron goes elsewhere then the simple fact remains that UT needs to recruit and develop great DL's. I personally like what they've done with the "lemons" they inherited this year. For such a patch work group that lost its most talented player before game one... I don't think they're half bad.

Lol AU has been in the top 20 and VN posters can't see why a recruit would want to go there.

Seems like Pruitt swooped in and found a diamond in the rough. Three stars but only played one year? Might be a real stud when he gets more coaching and experience.

That being said, I hope we don’t need him to start right away.
Curious to see if any other SEC teams offer him now and if Alabama or Auburn or Georgia or LSU show interest how quickly he flips.

Yea this guy isn’t replacing anyone... he’s the next Darrell Taylor type of player.... assuming 1 of Memphis Trio also plays OLB, them we hv 1 space open at ILB:.. then we’re done with LB imo
Hope he’s a helluva lot better than Taylor.

TOO TALL! DONT WANT!

Seems like another Pruitt and co "discovery". Guy went to first camp (UAB) this summer and started getting offers in July. We are first major program to offer in Sept but Nebraska and ol Piss are after him now too. Since he is from Mobile, Alabubba, I trust Pruitt and staff know how to find the gemstones in the rough down there. His tape seems good.

Wonder what his speed is? as a 3* weakside pass rusher, he would need to be a short rocket, no? I know our D loves to get after the QB.

You get a like for that alone.

Basketball guy who is playing his first year of HS football. Ran a 4.59 40 at a Nike camp and has 18 sacks on the season.
Wasn't Simmons a 3* as well?

Pruitt's criteria for evaluating diamonds in the rough -They can dunk

Bold strategy Pruitt. Let's see how it plays out.

I see tons of potential for this over the next few years if our defense keeps improving. Even ESPN could show some love and get in on the fun. "If you don't have a good OL & QB, Tennessee will dunk on you."

Last edited:

VN Store

Back