2020 NBA Season Thread (brought to you by Jerry’s need for attention)

Looks like the LAC were fined due to Doc Rivers' comments regarding Leonard sitting. Basically said he feels great and needs to continue to feel great when the NBA ruled that they were properly managing an injury by sitting him. His comments weren't consistent with the teams request.

3D0uhhnJft4vIY9IDQ.gif

I think he makes a great point but it's stupid for him to point the finger because it seems like all teams, players, and owners really care about are 'ships, too.

Screenshot_20191108-094929_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TBrown
I like the point that if championships are all that matter then load management is the obvious conclusion. You (the rhetorical you) can't be a ring-counter and then dock guys for saving themselves for the playoffs.

It's not just playoff contenders doing load management, is it? Plus the fans and media should be entirely to blame - c'mon man. SAS started this from a competitive advantage standpoint, and others just replicated. Ring counting didn't start this - guys trying to win and extend careers out to maximize earnings started it.

Dumb take.

Reactions: BadJerry20
It's not just playoff contenders doing load management, is it? Plus the fans and media should be entirely to blame - c'mon man. SAS started this from a competitive advantage standpoint, and others just replicated. Ring counting didn't start this - guys trying to win and extend careers out to maximize earnings started it.

Dumb take.

Yeah, load mgmt isn't just about winning now. It's about protecting guys for the long term. Resting Embiid in 2017 wasn't about 2017, it was about their future as eventual contenders. It's all about that ring. They tanked for like 5 years trying to get a ring later, that's how important the almighty ring is, and resting has been part of that long term strategy.

I kinda feel bad for D'Angelo Russell but I kinda don't

He's overrated and making $120m so it's hard to feel bad for him. He's really not that good. He's a solid 3 pt shooter, has a nice handle, and is a pretty damn good passer but the D is not there at all and he doesn't get to the rim or the FT line. I guess he's entering his prime now and could change his habits/get stronger but it's weird how little he gets to the rim for an athletic CG.

Yeah, load mgmt isn't just about winning now. It's about protecting guys for the long term. Resting Embiid in 2017 wasn't about 2017, it was about their future as eventual contenders. It's all about that ring. They tanked for like 5 years trying to get a ring later, that's how important the almighty ring is, and resting has been part of that long term strategy.

Ok, the fans and media didn't make that call. It's disingenuous for a former player to let current players managing their load (lulz) off the hook on this. Both organizations and players saw the Spurs win and "old" Duncan, Manu, and TP extend their careers beyond the norm with minutes management.

So, Jalen's strategy is to tell the customer - sorry you don't like the product now but it is your fault so deal. Smart business.

Ok, the fans and media didn't make that call. It's disingenuous for a former player to let current players managing their load (lulz) off the hook on this. Both organizations and players saw the Spurs win and "old" Duncan, Manu, and TP extend their careers beyond the norm with minutes management.

So, Jalen's strategy is to tell the customer - sorry you don't like the product now but it is your fault so deal. Smart business.

From the start, I said it was stupid to put all the blame on fans and media. Do you disagree that fans and media put a lot of pressure on teams/players to win titles? Just because teams saw the Spurs succeed with this strategy doesn't mean fan/media pressure isn't a motivator for adopting load mgmt.

From the start, I said it was stupid to put all the blame on fans and media. Do you disagree that fans and media put a lot of pressure on teams/players to win titles? Just because teams saw the Spurs succeed with this strategy doesn't mean fan/media pressure isn't a motivator for adopting load mgmt.

Duh?

The desire for fans to want to win championships is not a new phenomenon. It's always been there. I would say the "pressure" to win is code for increased expectation in light of increasing salaries and budgets and ticket prices (where the income of most of Z's Americans are stagnant).

It's not like teams and players just recently decided that winning championships is important because the fans and media are suddenly talking about it.

Duh?

The desire for fans to want to win championships is not a new phenomenon. It's always been there. I would say the "pressure" to win is code for increased expectation in light of increasing salaries and budgets and ticket prices (where the income of most of Z's Americans are stagnant).

It's not like teams and players just recently decided that winning championships is important because the fans and media are suddenly talking about it.

Why does the timeline matter? He's saying they are the motivator. He's not saying fans/media decided when load mgmt became a thing. The fact that this wasn't a thing until the Spurs came up with this innovation has nothing to do with his point. The fans/media (and players/teams IMO) are the driving force.

Why does the timeline matter? He's saying they are the motivator. He's not saying fans/media decided when load mgmt became a thing. The fact that this wasn't a thing until the Spurs came up with this innovation has nothing to do with his point. The fans/media (and players/teams IMO) are the driving force.

Honestly, his take is so dumb, I can't make sense of his point frankly. Fans dumbed down the regular season - what does that even mean? I'm curious if the regular season attendance has fallen during the minutes management era whenever that started since it is now irrelevant to fans (you would think as a fan that created this culture, I would know that).

We will just have to disagree on this one - blaming the customer never goes over well when they are dissatisfied, that much I know.

VN Store

Back