JG- All I need to say

Relax, Maurer will be back Saturday. At least until he's breathed on, maybe they can give him flags on his waist instead of tackle.

Pruitt is riding that defense for all its worth. Should be an interesting last 3 games. Let's win em all.. GBO!!
Put a no contact jersey on him.

I know everyone likes to point to PFF for stats etc. but I found these stats or lack there of to be interesting

The Tony Basilio Show

Guarantano has been in at quarterback for 27 drives against SEC teams this year:
spacer.gif
— One drive was kneel downs to end a half, so we’ll throw it out.

— Twice he replaced Brian Maurer during a drive (once vs UGA and once at Bama). The drive in Tuscaloosa resulted in a field goal after No. 2 missed a wide-open Jennings in the end zone.

Here’s how the other 24 JG drives have gone:
spacer.gif
— Three touchdowns

— Four made field goals (one missed)

— Four scores in eight trips to the red zone (1 TD and 3 FGs)

— 12 punts

— Four turnovers (1 INT and 3 fumbles)

— Two turnovers on downs

— Six three-and-outs

— Only eight drives produced more than one first down

— And worst of all, five times Guarantano has led drives inside SEC opponents’ 5-yard-line: two turnover on downs, one field goal, one interception and one fumble that was returned for a defensive TD. So, in drives against SEC teams when No. 2 has the Vols’ within five yards of the end zone, our opponents are out-scoring us 7-3. Incredible.
spacer.gif
Counting all the games from 2017 and 18, Guarantano has started 15 SEC games and played in a handful more. The most points Guarantano-led drives have produced in a game is 24, which happened vs both Kentucky and South Carolina last year.
spacer.gif
(The Vols scored 30 at Auburn in 2018, but the defense scored a touchdown. Special teams accounted for two touchdowns vs South Carolina this season, and Shrout threw one TD pass).

24 points might be enough to win Saturday, but Pruitt risks losing all the good will he’s built up over the last month if Tennessee comes up short with Guarantano at QB. Let's hope Tony and Throaty are hearing correct information and that Maurer is in fact going to start. Otherwise the numbers say it's going to be close because it has to be.

24 points is JG's ceiling as a starter.

Only twice (3 if you count BYU) has he led the offense to more than 24 points as a starter vs P5 competition....... Of course lets not talk about going rogue vs Bama or 7-15 record......

I know everyone likes to point to PFF for stats etc. but I found these stats or lack there of to be interesting

The Tony Basilio Show

Guarantano has been in at quarterback for 27 drives against SEC teams this year:
spacer.gif

— Twice he replaced Brian Maurer during a drive (once vs UGA and once at Bama). The drive in Tuscaloosa resulted in a field goal after No. 2 missed a wide-open Jennings in the end zone.

spacer.gif
— Three touchdowns

— 12 punts

— Two turnovers on downs

— Six three-and-outs

— And worst of all, five times Guarantano has led drives inside SEC opponents’ 5-yard-line: two turnover on downs, one field goal, one interception and one fumble that was returned for a defensive TD. So, in drives against SEC teams when No. 2 has the Vols’ within five yards of the end zone, our opponents are out-scoring us 7-3. Incredible.
spacer.gif
Counting all the games from 2017 and 18, Guarantano has started 15 SEC games and played in a handful more. The most points Guarantano-led drives have produced in a game is 24, which happened vs both Kentucky and South Carolina last year.
spacer.gif
(The Vols scored 30 at Auburn in 2018, but the defense scored a touchdown. Special teams accounted for two touchdowns vs South Carolina this season, and Shrout threw one TD pass).

24 points might be enough to win Saturday, but Pruitt risks losing all the good will he’s built up over the last month if Tennessee comes up short with Guarantano at QB. Let's hope Tony and Throaty are hearing correct information and that Maurer is in fact going to start. Otherwise the numbers say it's going to be close because it has to be.
JG is not good and water is wet.

I'm obviously baiting a certain someone, shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Well, not sure they will show with that laid out before them! Sheets of empty canvas for JG and still empty when he's finished!

Still quite bizarre that highly paid coaches don't understand this. If you are going to lose, at least do it with someone that gives you a chance.

Bumped a thread about this discussion a couple of days ago and the ones who defended JG in there and assured us he would have a fantastic year this year did not show up in that one to stand and take the heat either.

Reactions: Jpcisco and patrick
Well, not sure they will show with that laid out before them! Sheets of empty canvas for JG and still empty when he's finished!

Still quite bizarre that highly paid coaches don't understand this. If you are going to lose, at least do it with someone that gives you a chance.

Bumped a thread about this discussion a couple of days ago and the ones who defended JG in there and assured us he would have a fantastic year this year did not show up in that one to stand and take the heat either.
I don't do told ya so's, however I'm tired of all these meaningless analytics stats people throw around to try to prove a point. Those same analytic stats from PFF had Tyler Johnston, the UAB QB ranked as the number 4 QB in America............... Think about that

Relax, Maurer will be back Saturday. At least until he's breathed on, maybe they can give him flags on his waist instead of tackle.

Pruitt is riding that defense for all its worth. Should be an interesting last 3 games. Let's win em all.. GBO!!

Correct the outcome of the rest of the season will need to rely on the defense. I feel this is the way Coach P wants it at this time of the program. The d-line is ahead of the o-line. To me the Qb position has been the main "hold back" in the limited success for the "P" era. When you consider the limits of the whole squad he and staff faced, every faze has improved, with the exception of QB. When they get this right I feel the "turn corner" will be behind us.

I don't do told ya so's, however I'm tired of all these meaningless analytics stats people throw around to try to prove a point. Those same analytic stats from PFF had Tyler Johnston, the UAB QB ranked as the number 4 QB in America............... Think about that

In that other thread I bumped, it was fascinating to see several of our posters nail exactly what we would see with JG this year. Meanwhile, listening to our former QB/Radio guy the other day and he was STILL touting "winning football" with JG...even in the face of his record and evidence to the contrary! It was literally mind numbing drivel and IMO made him sound silly.

I would love to know the background of our posters that saw all of this without being swayed by the "analytics" crowd. I'm of the opinion that I don't care who is under center, as long as it isn't #2 at this point. Nothing against the kid, just don't put him in there and tell me he's our "best chance to win" ever again!

Reactions: cgrish and Ty4Vols

The Tony Basilio Show

spacer.gif

spacer.gif
— Three touchdowns

— 12 punts

— Two turnovers on downs

— Six three-and-outs

spacer.gif
spacer.gif

I'm no JG apologist, and I hope that the QB position improves overall with the next recruiting class. However, I do know that at least this kid is out there doing the best he can and has and is still taking some big time hits while you sit behind a keyboard.

I'm no JG apologist, and I hope that the QB position improves overall with the next recruiting class. However, I do know that at least this kid is out there doing the best he can and has and is still taking some big time hits while you sit behind a keyboard.
Ah yes, the Moral High Road.......................

1. My eligibility ran out December 2008
2. I simply pointed out some stats, since that seems to be everyone's go to especially a certain Ex QB here in town
3. I don't blame JG at this point because Pruitt keeps rolling him out there, in fact I kind of feel sorry for him
4. Those big hits have been and will continue to be his fault until he better understands the game. He has no internal clock
5. When you play D1 Football, doing your best is not good enough sorry but thats the truth

We are all behind keyboards on here. It's the entire purpose of the site. You are welcome to hit the X in the upper corner. The rest of us will continue to type.

Fact is, JG wouldn't catch such a hard time on here if there weren't certain people preaching that he is the best thing since sliced bread. They have FINALLY backed off that stance a little this year but still defend him week in and week out when there is nothing there to defend. It is what it is with him and it ain't much. I pray that Maurer is healthy ad gets the start but if they trot JG out there I will still be yelling for the VOLS (even if I curse a little under my breath first). I have never wanted to see JG fail but I know what to expect when he is out there and only 2-3 times over 3 years have I been slightly surprised with his abilities.

You all believing Rudy is true or 90% true shows how dumb and naive you are. It all makes sense now. Y'all live in fantasy land. 😭😭😭

Y'all believe in moxie and magic pixie dust. Lol

And still 14.5% of Volnation still believe in the guy that's 0-2 against Vandy. 🤯:eek:🤯
Screenshot_20191108-093308_Chrome.jpg

With JG we win 17-10
With BM we win 24-10
With Shrout/JJ we win 20-10

It won't matter who the qb is, our defense is gonna roll.

With JG we win 17-10
With BM we win 24-10

This may be true. However, I prefer a team that wins because of their QB play over a team that wins in spite of it.

Put up Maurer's stats too, he hasn't been impressive at all outside of the 1st half vs UGA..

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
With JG we win 17-10
With BM we win 24-10

The D is good enough to play when the O helps. They aren't good enough to dictate a game by themselves.

Whoever plays QB, UT needs to get a lead like they did vs MSU and eventually USCe. A 10-14 point lead would be absolutely ideal. This will force UK out of character. They will need to pass more to both slow the game down and have shorter drives. Their O is designed to run and shorten the game. That doesn't work playing from behind.

Breathed on? The kid took a shot vs UGA that would sideline you, me and most other SEC quarterbacks. Then he landed on his freaking head the following week! This narrative that he’s weak is getting flat out ridiculous!

VN Store

Back