Butch withdraws from Rutgers coaching search

I don’t see any FCS school hiring Butch Jones as a head coach anytime soon. You don’t go 0-8 in conference play at a school with all of the resources like UT and then convince another school that you can do more with less.

His only hope would be to try to follow Dooley’s approach to try to rehabilitate his image...position coach, coordinator and then hope that somebody will forget your miserable failure at one of the Top 20 or better coaching jobs in the country.

He didnt go 0-8.

He did go 0-6 before being fired..

The upside of his withdrawal is that it leaves hope that he can destroy Bammers program like he did ours

IMO His withdrawal before Rutger’s announcement should have some ramifications on his buyout provisions from UT. Just wishful thinking on my part but it would be nice if that could happen.

Would not hold up in court if he could prove he already knew he was not going to get the job, because essentially he was not really bailing on anything. That said he could be in line for another position. FSU for example. Personally, I want the guy to do well.

From what I recall, the UT buyout clause states Butch must show he is seeking a head coaching job.

As one poster said, Rutgers may have informed Butch he was no longer a candidate to save face.

"Please note your obligations under Section 3.1.4 of the Agreement, including without limitation your obligation to use your reasonable best efforts to mitigate the University's obligation to pay liquidated damages by making reasonable and diligent efforts as soon as practicable following termination to obtain another comparable employment or paid services position."

Reactions: feathersax
Butch wants to keep sponging off of the University of Tennessee :mad:

I think not. He would like to "coach" but until he can find a school willing to take a chance on him, he is satisfied to "get by on his meager dole from UT". I think his real problem with finding a job he would want is the longer time goes by, the harder it will be for him and the more time he "misses" when interviewed will make it harder to get that job. He may have to start over at a less than top level program. BUT!!! WHO AMONG US CARES !?!

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Butch has a good gig washing Nick's car, why should he go to Rutgers? View attachment 236617
Unfortunately, that is his car. He’s a multi millionaire. The fact is that we (UT fans) are the one we want to make Butch out to be in that picture.

He’s an intern getting about $200k a month from ole UT. Think about that for a minute and think how stupid it sounds like when we try to mock Jones for washing the windshield of his $130k Benz, one of many he owns. And he’s doing that while wearing a $10k Rolex Submariner. One of about 10 he owns.

So, the reality is that we (UT) are paying an Alabama intern $200,000 a month to make coffee for Saban. And Butch is the butt of the joke? I don’t think so.

Doubt it’d be more than $212k per month for the next 24 months or so. Haven’t tried to sue anybody lately, but surely we’d save a chunk of money if we pursued Jones on this and won.

But we likely wouldn’t win due to the vague wording of his contract. Also, it’s not like he has to accept a job or anything, just make a reasonable effort to pursue other similar coaching opportunities (not sure of the exact wording, but that’s the gist)

Maybe so, but his team finished 0-8. I don’t see where that changes the point, but carry on.

The point is there was a decent chance the season could be salvaged and a bowl game attended. However with the firing of their coach the players were no longer invested.

Even for mouth breathers that should be simple enough to understand

Saban-"Butch I really need my interns full focus with LSU coming in this week."
Butch-" yes sir, Mr. Saban. I'll withdraw from Rutgers job, but I'm sure to get it."
Saban-" I hear FSU is open and I hear you're on the short list."
Butch-"really Mr. Saban? That's ACC, I'd kick butt there."
Saban-"they really liked the turnover trash can idea you originated."
Butch-"yeah, it was under appreciated."
Saban walks out, he and Sark roll in the floor laughing.

I wonder, would Butch and his buyout get people this riled up if he didn’t go to Saban’s School for Coaches Who Can’t Coach Good?

VN Store

Back