Game Thread: LADY VOLS VS. CENTRAL ARKANSAS

Interesting that Patterson leaves just when she was going to be a starter and one of the main players? I wonder why ?
She would have been one of the go to players on a nationally ranked team as well instead of languishing on a conference cellar dweller in empty gymnasiums and ending her career hoping for WNIT bid. Really no logic behind her decision, unless she didn't like the program.

This team reminds me a little of Mississippi State the year Tierra McCowan was a freshman. Essentially no seniors and a lot of young talent. They were on the cusp that year finishing 28-8 overall 11-5 in SEC play losing to UCONN in the Sweet 16.

That MSST team had great chemistry, and I think that's what this Tennessee team needs to develop to get there. They have a good foundation.

Reactions: VolBall09
i was looking at notre dames starting roster and even with vaughn out, the other 4 players are all 5 star talent. the stanford transfer they have dished out 9 assists on us last year. they should def key in on brunelle and not let her go off from behind the arc.. should be an interesting game

i was looking at notre dames starting roster and even with vaughn out, the other 4 players are all 5 star talent. the stanford transfer they have dished out 9 assists on us last year. should be an interesting game

Marta is a great passer, but she’s really not a scoring threat (now she’ll drop 25 that I said that). The main thing ND is missing isn’t talent on the floor. It’s on the sideline.

There is a reason the NBA was interested in Niele Ivey. She is an incredible coach. Before she came back to ND they were on the slide. Muffin is no slouch, but I seriously think Ivey was the brains of the operation the last few seasons.

i was looking at notre dames starting roster and even with vaughn out, the other 4 players are all 5 star talent. the stanford transfer they have dished out 9 assists on us last year. should be an interesting game
Brunelle, Peoples and Gilbert will likely have solid careers, but they are playing their 2nd game of their careers with no one who has played a full season on the team. The entire roster has no experience in the system.

I know Muffet's a good coach, but this is beyond a Hail Mary...

Reactions: volnationnj
I really wish we had had Lou Brown for all four years. She's a player with a great head on her shoulders. If we want more 3s from Jessie we're gonna have to screen some for her...I was really happy to see her swish one, at last, she needed that. Our guards took entirely too many shots from distance. They need to work harder at getting to the rim and/or dishing to a post player for the finish. I was also glad to see Emily get some minutes and score. We'll need help from her and Kamera as well, great to see her back. Jordon Horston is just flat fun to watch. The girl got game!

Brunelle, Peoples and Gilbert will likely have solid careers, but they are playing their 2nd game of their careers with no one who has played a full season on the team. The entire roster has no experience in the system.

i hope you are right it would be great to get a win in south bend

Reactions: Volfaninfl2

As opposed to Tennessee's entire roster playing in a new system? I agree Notre Dame doesn't have a great team by their standards, but you are greatly overestimating Tennessee at this point and their ability to win in a hostile environment. Notre Dame will, and should, be solid favorites in this one...

As opposed to Tennessee's entire roster playing in a new system? I agree Notre Dame doesn't have a great team by their standards, but you are greatly overestimating Tennessee at this point and their ability to win in a hostile environment. Notre Dame will, and should, be solid favorites in this one...
I never agree with this cat on nothing butttttttttttt I cant disagree with this!

Yes, I think there is a little giddiness from the sharp improvement between this game and the ETSU struggle. But, this LV team is still not a "good" team. After this performance, they are now a "less bad" team that I think will become pretty good by season's end. As it stands, we have inexperience at key areas - post and PG and the returning "go to" players are still finding their way. If ND was game #10 in the season, I would be more optimistic but for this upcoming #3 game, just playing hard nosed defense and staying close would be a good result.

Last edited:
horston key green brown and davis will start my prediction was right!!
Yes, i didn't predict the starting line up but think this is the best one. Tonight's game only cemented my feeling that Massingale's minutes should be greatly curtailed. Love Burrell's game but she's got to learn to rein it in a bit on occasion. Key is going to be special if she works hard. She can play with the ball above her head, gets her shot off quickly, has some hops and quickness. She actually chased down a couple of long rebounds. KK has got to be the backup and she will be serviceable in that role. My opinion of course.

Wow, Kam Harris has improved. You can see in this limited time that she is moving much better and that was a little post move she has not had before.
I agree. I can see her challenging KK for minutes behind Key. Key has me more optimistic about post play than I've been in years.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Heard that and wanted to poke a sharp stick in my eye. I'm destined to never see the LV play decent offense again in my lifetime I guess. They're 19 for heaven's sake, their legs will be fine. This team badly needs to "jell" IMO. I'm afraid we don't have enough quality players to keep wholesale subbing from being disruptive.
Agree.

Missed the entire game due to monthly deacon's meeting tonight, but enjoyed catching up by reading you guys' comments. Great observations. Sounds like we're settling in and growing along with this team. Keep putting one foot in front of the other and moving forward, as a well-known coach used to say.

Thoroughly enjoyed the post-game player conference. Sure, it's easy to be happy after a win, but these young women seem to actually like each other. Nice shout out to Emily from Jordan and to Jessie from Lou. Players were engaged when teammates were talking, nodding and laughing. Very complimentary (and complementary) toward each other, teammates, and staff.

Impressed with the maturity of our freshman and willingness to own mistakes while projecting the confidence and determination to improve. Team chemistry looks light years better than recent past, and trusting this group to show resiliency when things get tough. Glad to hear that Kam was able to shine a little and contribute. Always good to see perseverance rwarded.

Also nice to hear Kellie's encouraging and suppirtive words even as she acknowledges areas in which the team and individual players need to improve. I've said that she needed to chew out some players but now think others were right about building trust with her players and helping to restore their confidence that has been shaken. Good to hear the Tamari, Jordan, and Lou talk about how blessed they feel to be part of the program and to have this opportunity.

I feel like Cait M. after her interview with Kellie...ready to start flipping some couches. Knowing that there are some tough days ahead and that we need to be patient, starti g to get the same vibe that Kelly's last team gave off. This group could be special, and I hope we fans can go all in and let them know how much we appreciate their efforts and that we are 100% beside them all the way and are proud of each step forward they take.

Can't wait until Monday night.

Yes, I think there is a little giddiness from the sharp improvement between this game and the ETSU. But, this LV team is still not a good team. They are a less bad team that I think will become good by seasons end. We have inexperience at key areas - post and PG and the returning go to players are still finding their way. If ND was game 10 in the season, I would be more optimistic but for this round, just playing hard nosed defense and staying close would be a good result.

I was on the fifty-yard-line - L-20 - at ETSU. What a great basketball arena! My son got to walk the sidelines, at court level. He was blown away by “our length,” and by “how hard we played.” We are “going” to be very good.
But, I have to agree with your “game 10” analogy; (as much as I want to win, there) we will be fortunate to keep it close. And, not that they are better - I figure we have them covered, on paper - but, we are very inconsistent, especially offensively. Three, four-minute droughts against a very well-coached team, as they surely are, can set you back beyond recovery.
So, and obviously OMO, we are likely 0-4, possibly 1-3 in the major OOC games (I’d take 2-and-2 and run).
Again, I have a lot of confidence in our overall talent, and staff, and I think we’ll be very good, at some point, this season. But, as Coach Kellie just stated, next Monday will be the truest appraisal of our TEAM.

An item of interest: Fouls called still heavily in favor of opposing team. We made 1 of only 3 free throws for the night, they made 4 of 12.

Also, besides being high scorer tonight, Jordan had zero turnovers!

GO LADY VOLS, BEAT ND!!!

Reactions: creekdipper
I just want to see how Burrell plays WITH the studs on the court too

Agreed. Whether she is a starter or the 6th man, she is going to be a major X factor for the LVs.

I think we are seeing the emergence of the team;'s core players. Key, Green, Davis, Horston, and I think Rae will emerge as the 5th.

Then it is how the subs are able to fill the gaps when those 5 are off. I think Massengill will be a competent back-up for Horston.

I agree with you that Harris is making a good case to be the next player up when Key needs a break (or has foul trouble).

Then a lot will hinge on how Lou Brown, Jaiden McCoy, and Rennie can fill other roles.

Have not seen enough of McCoy but I have some concerns about the other two. They will need to improve over the course of the season. Of course, Collins looked like a project player at the start of the season and finished strong so it can happen.

A little Disappointed in KK.. She has not improved her physicality in an any tangible way since her freshman season. She has several seasons to lean up, muscle up and improve her athleticism. Wasted opportunity.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back