Game thread: LADY VOLS VS. ETSU

Those refs were the Johnson City Trio. They forewent a night of Hee Haw reruns to call that game.

”Hey, Grandpa, what’s for supper?”

“A bit of home cookin’ at Freedom Hall!
Let’s toss it up and play some ball!
Bunches of bad calls you’ll be fed
To give you a bellyache in your head!
And if the Vols start to hog the fare,
Hark the whistle’s avenging blare!
And before the dessert hits your plate,
A pack of Rolaids will be your mate!
Yum, Yum!”

Those refs were the Johnson City Trio. They forewent a night of Hee Haw reruns to call that game.

Yum, Yum!”

That was great! :D

Yum, Yum!”

This is brilliant! 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

"They" are one of the weakest teams on our schedule and they nearly Georgia Stated us.

Not sure what point we're trying to make now.
Hey we have to brag about every victory! And we have to blame the refs when a bad team almost beats us! Can’t give credit to the other team and can’t admit we ain’t very good!

Hey we have to brag about every victory! And we have to blame the refs when a bad team almost beats us! Can’t give credit to the other team and can’t admit we ain’t very good!
Good or not, the refs still sucked. I can’t blame for all of our issues, we simply do not have it all together, the talent is there. As to if we are good or bad, we need a larger sample size. Give it a chance.

That guard #20 scored .... what 40 points on us. I do like seeing more of Lou Brown playing.......

We still need that fast lock-down defender on the perimeter, but while Hayes-Overton scored 41 points, their second-best player was held to 7, and the rest of the team only scored 20 points. Overton had 1 assist. I doubt their coach is very happy with this.

Reactions: mlindsay
I wish I knew what was missing in the S&D coaches here.
After witnessing the difference between Mercedes here and Mercedes in the W,,,Huge difference.
She almost runs with grace.
Here, she lumbered

Makes me wonder if KK has ever been taught how to move.
Quickness comes from knowing how to float your body and move your feet below your knees
and when you are not quick,,You beat quickness with tactic and anticipation

When KK arrived on campus, she was seriously out-of-shape and overweight. At the beginning of last year, she looked fitter and stronger. Now she seems to have regressed back to her freshman year.

Regardless of who starts I think Key is your 25 to 28 minute center and KK your fill in 10 to 12. I think that also applies to Horston 25 to 28 and Massengill 10 to 12. I am quite sure if they stay out of foul trouble Davis and Green will end up around the 30 minutes a game. Then you have Brown, McCoy and Burrell. I expect Rennies minutes to go down as she plays some minutes at the two for Green or when Green gets in early foul trouble.

We still need that fast lock-down defender on the perimeter, but while Hayes-Overton scored 41 points, their second-best player was held to 7, and the rest of the team only scored 20 points. Overton had 1 assist. I doubt their coach is very happy with this.
They were not very good so to say we held their 2nd best player to 7 is embarrassing because they don’t have a 2nd best player! Saying anything good about this game except a W is like polishing a turd!

I agree with you, KK just does not have the foot speed or agility that it takes for the D1 post position. I think she can be trained to be an asset at the post position, however, maybe as a sub only. She also appears to be a little out of shape. I though Key, though a freshman, looked much better. I am sure KJH knows more about the situation than me and a lot of other posters. I watched a lot of her Missouri State games, and KJH’s teams always seemed to start slow but came on during the season. I believe things will improve.
Agree. No way KK is a top 40 something recruit.

Reactions: sccshortstop
I agree with you, KK just does not have the foot speed or agility that it takes for the D1 post position. I think she can be trained to be an asset at the post position, however, maybe as a sub only. She also appears to be a little out of shape. I though Key, though a freshman, looked much better. I am sure KJH knows more about the situation than me and a lot of other posters. I watched a lot of her Missouri State games, and KJH’s teams always seemed to start slow but came on during the season. I believe things will improve.

I must say you hit the nail right on the head about KK looking not to be in the best of shape. If not Harris how about 6-5 fr Emily Saunders trust me Kellie will need one of them to spell KK and Key.

The ETSU coach was thrilled to take an SEC team to a one possession game. She was thrilled with Haynes Overton's performance.

JC Press said:
“She’s the best player in the Southern Conference and right now, she’s the best player in the Southeastern Conference,” Ezell said. “She had 41 points, 10 rebounds, seven steals and threw up every time out. If you don’t recognize what ETSU tough is, you’re looking at it.

“She’s one of the most talented players I’ve ever seen and I’ve played and coached in the SEC, have coached in the Big 12. Erica is a great player, but more important a remarkable teammate.”

Haynes-Overton’s 41 points rank second to the school-record 52 scored by Marsha Cowart against Austin Peay in 1981. She logged nearly 39 minutes, pushing herself through the sickness to stay out on the court.

“I wanted to win. I wanted to get out there,” Haynes-Overton said. “I cried a couple of times, but my teammates had my back. They got me up on my feet and I had to get out there.”.

Sometimes you have to give the opponent credit when it's due.

Last edited:
ETSU should be thrilled to have Overton otherwise they would be in for a terrible season. I don't think anyone in their league is gonna be able to defend her she may average 40 if the other girls let her shoot it enough. ETSU scored 23 field goals she had 15 of them. 17 free throws made she has 8 of them. 15 of 31 rest of team 8 for 35.

ETSU should be thrilled to have Overton otherwise they would be in for a terrible season. I don't think anyone in their league is gonna be able to defend her she may average 40 if the other girls let her shoot it enough. ETSU scored 23 field goals she had 15 of them. 17 free throws made she has 8 of them. 15 of 31 rest of team 8 for 35.

If you look at ETSU's 5 starters, they look ok, but the bench was terrible. 0-6 from the field and 2-10 on FTs for 2 total points.
None of their 3 guards barely left the game.

If you look at our bench, it was way more efficient than our starters.
Starters... 39 points on 62 shots. .63 efficiency
Bench... 33 points on 46 shots. .72 efficiency
1.00 would be good efficiency.

If you adjust for TOs then both efficiencies drop down to about 59%, which is pretty terrible.

I've replayed the etsu game 3 times and the refs get worse in every one. lol

I agree the refs in this game awful. Also to be fair i think it was also poor scouting and prepping by kellie and her staff. There is no way you let Overton drop 40 no way. What happen to making defensive adjustments ?

Reactions: TrentVol
I must say you hit the nail right on the head about KK looking not to be in the best of shape. If not Harris how about 6-5 fr Emily Saunders trust me Kellie will need one of them to spell KK and Key.

You know, I have seen nothing out of Harris for all the time she's been here, except the game against CN....Whoever has been working with her running and movement has done well...In that game she moved better than KK or Saunders.
But I still need to see if she can play with the girls who wear the "big girl panties",,,You know, the ranked and SEC opponents.
If she moves and plays like she did in the CN game, against them, she vaults to #2,
I would have to rethink her
Need more data (PT)

You know, I have seen nothing out of Harris for all the time she's been here, except the game against CN....Whoever has been working with her running and movement has done well...In that game she moved better than KK or Saunders.
But I still need to see if she can play with the girls who wear the "big girl panties",,,You know, the ranked and SEC opponents.
If she moves and plays like she did in the CN game, against them, she vaults to #2,
I would have to rethink her
Need more data (PT)

Coach i agree with you Harris do look like she is moving better. I was thinking by Key being so young and still learning we will need Harris or Saunders to provide some quality backup minutes for her and KK.

Reactions: Coach Jumper
I agree the refs in this game awful. Also to be fair i think it was also poor scouting and prepping by kellie and her staff. There is no way you let Overton drop 40 no way. What happen to making defensive adjustments ?

What happened to defensive adjustments in this game is called the foul situation. I know there are different sentiments on this board about discussing referees, and many consider any mention of the refs whining. But, regardless of your position in that regard, Kellie was faced with the situation that five players who had any chance of actually guarding Haynes-Overton were in foul trouble. Massengill, Green, Burrell and Horston each had four fouls (Horston had three in the first half) Key also had four fouls and Davis had three. Kellie was basically forced to have the team play a zone defense the entire second half. From my personal observation, playing a decent zone defense requires more coordinated effort than a man-to-man, which, by necessity requires a longer time for a team to get comfortable with, certainly longer than this team has had, so far.

With regard to the scouting, Kellie acknowledged that scouting this team was complicated by the fact that ETSU did not play an exhibition game and therefore there was no current tape on the team to review. The staff made the best of a limited information situation.

Jim

What happened to defensive adjustments in this game is called the foul situation. I know there are different sentiments on this board about discussing referees, and many consider any mention of the refs whining. But, regardless of your position in that regard, Kellie was faced with the situation that five players who had any chance of actually guarding Haynes-Overton were in foul trouble. Massengill, Green, Burrell and Horston each had four fouls (Horston had three in the first half) Key also had four fouls and Davis had three. Kellie was basically forced to have the team play a zone defense the entire second half. From my personal observation, playing a decent zone defense requires more coordinated effort than a man-to-man, which, by necessity requires a longer time for a team to get comfortable with, certainly longer than this team has had, so far.

With regard to the scouting, Kellie acknowledged that scouting this team was complicated by the fact that ETSU did not play an exhibition game and therefore there was no current tape on the team to review. The staff made the best of a limited information situation.

Jim

She's got to work those refs, Jim
Or they WILL work her!

Jim

Yes we did have foul trouble situations but still you can not let one player beat you like she did. I saw no double team or Box in one. we have a deep bench so i see no reason not to double Overton at times or use a box in one. just my opinion. Also yes they did not play an exhibition game but we did play them last year.

VN Store

Back