Game thread: LADY VOLS VS. ETSU

Well, suckshortstop, glad to be signed up and my Krystal balls are amazing. I will check back in around March and see how my prediction has held up.
BTW, who is “we?” Pretty presumptious to assume you speak for anyone but yourself.
Your opinion is like mine, just ours.

Was Haynes Overton recruited here? Another in state kid that would have done anything to come here! If she wasn’t offered because of her size someone missed! We have had small PG’s before! Just curious if she was offered by Holly?

Should have recruited Haynes-Overton instead of Anastasia Hayes. We would be set at pg with a good shooter, great defender, plus an alpha personality.

Last edited:
Reactions: PG1
Typically with players like her it’s not size keeping them out of top tier schools. It’s academics. There are a ton of great players at mid-major schools because they can’t cut the mustard in the classroom.

I was researching her a little bit and she originally committed to Memphis. Maybe grades were an issue. Can't imagine she was recruited over and dropped.

Well, the season is OVER! I am texting Phil to tell him to pull the plug right now because the first game of the season completely and perfectly predicts everything.....

Good Gawd, maybe I dunno given Kellie maybe 5 games before declaring "SEE, I TOLD YOU SHE WAS A BAD HIRE!, LOOK AT ME LOOK A ME!."

This team is integrating a lot of new pieces:, freshman, a player coming off an ACL tear (and working under minute restrictions), and a JUCO.

Zaay, Rennia and KK are the only LVs players who have serious game experience at this level.

This team is a work-in-progress and the thing to look for is the improvement curve-- are the LVS doing some things better after each outing and becoming a more competitive team?

It is clear that the freshman Horston (no surprise) and Key are going to be pivotal to the team's success and they will need to fast track their development.

Rae did not seem to have much of a game (looking at the box score) and the LVs will need her to step up with Zaay and Rennia. KK needs to bring more as well.

But, that core group, once they gel should be competitive.

Our depth this season could be a concern. Maz will need to find her game.

Are there more details about Lou Brown's minute restrictions somewhere? I wonder how far her recovery has gone and how her knee is doing. She's such a fantastic, mature presence on the floor, and breath of fresh air.

This was not a good first outing.
Using our timeouts to save the game
and
a career night for a 5'5" guard

got to do better than this

I agree and this falls on the Kellie , You can not let one play wreak havoc like she did last night.

Right now Lou Brown is definitely our biggest steadying force — I felt more confident watching when she was on the floor. I’m thrilled with how she has looked, even though she’s still recuperating.

It’ll come together, but we have somehow got to learn how to be patient. There HAS been progress: NOONE hung her head or appeared to give up. That’s worth celebrating.

A very good point!

My Player Grades

Lou Brown 11 points and 8 rebounds 5 of 7 from the field A she played a great game was very efficient.
Tamari Key 12 points 11 rebounds 5 of 9 from the field A The only problem was 5 turnovers but still what she did in this game in 20 minutes is fantastic.
Zaay Green 17 points 5 rebounds 7 of 17 from the field B She finally got going started taking some better shots needs to get in the paint to shoot.
Rennia Davis 12 points 10 rebounds 5 of 15 from the field B Bad offensive game for Rennia but she still scored 12 and she rebounds.
Rae Burrell 7 points 4 rebounds 3 of 9 from the field C So So game get a fair rating because of that one rebound she got there are the end of the game.
Jordan Horston 4 points 4 rebounds 6 assist and 6 turnovers 2 of 6 from the field C To many turnovers needs to get her mental game together she hasn't even scraped the surface of what she could do in a game.
KK 5 points 9 rebounds 1 of 4 from the field D Give her some love for her rebounding but her offensive game is not very good for a junior.
J McCoy 4 points 1 rebound 2 of 6 from the field D- Not much from her in this game didn't get on the boards very well on one rebound quite a few minutes.
J Massengill 0 points 2 rebounds 0 of 5 from the field F Nothing from her tonight had high hopes that she had improved over last season nothing yet to believe that is true.
Jessie Rennie 0 points 1 rebound 0 of 4 from the field F 24 minutes and 0 points. She was the hope for three points shooting has went 0 for 8 in two games.

74 minutes out of four players resulted in 9 points 13 rebounds and 3 of 19 from the field. They will have to get better to get that kind of minutes in the future I would think. Average is .12 per minute played.

The other six players went for 61 points and 42 rebounds 27 of 63 from the field in 116 minutes. I would think you would want to get these players up to around 150 minutes per game which would be 25 minutes per player. I know Lou Brown probably is a maximum of 25. So the average of these six is .53 points per minute.

I see a lot of potential for the team getting better, but we have to get more than nine points and 13 rebounds from four players that play 74 minutes. If they had been able to score at the pace of the other players we end up with 98 points for the game.

Fans said from the beginning we expected a year of highs and lows. We haven’t even hit the lows yet and fans are griping. Just wait until we hit a losing streak, because it’s coming. Worry more about how the team looks come February. We are a work in progress. Enjoy the ride.

Reactions: ChattyVolfan
Just visited MoSt board to congratulate them on their season-opening upset of #24 Minnesota. They mentioned how much their FT shooting had improved since the exhibition games after Coach Mox had them shooting extra in practice and running for misses. Last night they were a perfect 17-17.

One poster referenced (not in an ugly way) our missing 16 free throws (if that figure is accurate) against ETSU. Kellie's not too proud to take inspiration from her successor to improve her current players.

Hope she uses this as personal motivation and as a teaching tool for our team. I"m sure Coach Ezell will be pointing out how the outcome would have been different had they done their job at the line.

As someone pointed out, our ladies never hung their heads and quit. Sure, they made some bone-headed mistakes down the stretch, and Kellie could have done better. But it was nice to see them encouraging each other, acknowledging the few assists, and otherwise behaving like a team...aside from the regrettable tendency to keep the ball and drive into traffic rather than finding open teammates.

Last edited:
Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Fans said from the beginning we expected a year of highs and lows. We haven’t even hit the lows yet and fans are griping. Just wait until we hit a losing streak, because it’s coming. Worry more about how the team looks come February. We are a work in progress. Enjoy the ride.
Sadly last night was a high!

A lot of fans will be disappointed and bad mouth KJH, because the team did not beat ETSU like they owned them, however, the Lady Vol are starting fresh with a very young team. ETSU, though not a D 1 team, is more experienced with a more veteran line up. KJR really has to determine her starting five. You add to that, the refs were less than stellar. There are a lot of things that need to be sured up. This team will go through some learning pains. This is an athletic team with a lot of promise.

ETSU actually is Division 1

Good grief, can’t believe it, our team has the next game, day after tomorrow, THURSDAY, with ND on Monday night AT ND, on national tv. Who makes these crazy schedules? After looking at the stats, which always provide insight, there’s really not enough time to get into it. Hope they get some shuteye on the bus home tonight. Their plate is full, got to play smart, and fearlessly. GLV!

I agree @Volfaninfl2 Poor scheduling to have an away game on a Tuesday and then open up at home on Thursday. I don't care how close of a drive Johnson City is, it still put the girls getting in super late last night, and probably a low quality practice today.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
My Player Grades

Lou Brown 11 points and 8 rebounds 5 of 7 from the field A she played a great game was very efficient.
Tamari Key 12 points 11 rebounds 5 of 9 from the field A The only problem was 5 turnovers but still what she did in this game in 20 minutes is fantastic.
Zaay Green 17 points 5 rebounds 7 of 17 from the field B She finally got going started taking some better shots needs to get in the paint to shoot.
Rennia Davis 12 points 10 rebounds 5 of 15 from the field B Bad offensive game for Rennia but she still scored 12 and she rebounds.
Rae Burrell 7 points 4 rebounds 3 of 9 from the field C So So game get a fair rating because of that one rebound she got there are the end of the game.
Jordan Horston 4 points 4 rebounds 6 assist and 6 turnovers 2 of 6 from the field C To many turnovers needs to get her mental game together she hasn't even scraped the surface of what she could do in a game.
KK 5 points 9 rebounds 1 of 4 from the field D Give her some love for her rebounding but her offensive game is not very good for a junior.
J McCoy 4 points 1 rebound 2 of 6 from the field D- Not much from her in this game didn't get on the boards very well on one rebound quite a few minutes.
J Massengill 0 points 2 rebounds 0 of 5 from the field F Nothing from her tonight had high hopes that she had improved over last season nothing yet to believe that is true.
Jessie Rennie 0 points 1 rebound 0 of 4 from the field F 24 minutes and 0 points. She was the hope for three points shooting has went 0 for 8 in two games.

74 minutes out of four players resulted in 9 points 13 rebounds and 3 of 19 from the field. They will have to get better to get that kind of minutes in the future I would think. Average is .12 per minute played.

The other six players went for 61 points and 42 rebounds 27 of 63 from the field in 116 minutes. I would think you would want to get these players up to around 150 minutes per game which would be 25 minutes per player. I know Lou Brown probably is a maximum of 25. So the average of these six is .53 points per minute.

I see a lot of potential for the team getting better, but we have to get more than nine points and 13 rebounds from four players that play 74 minutes. If they had been able to score at the pace of the other players we end up with 98 points for the game.

Correction Tamari Key had 0 turnovers and 5 block shots

Today's practice schedule:

1. Borrow the fastest bench guard from Barnes.

2. With him starting just above the FT line, have each player guard him while he either drives or takes a pull-up jumper. Repeat this until each player has gone through five defensive cycles.

3. During this process, the rest of the team shoots free throws with managers recording misses. Players must shoot 200 FTs and run for each miss.

4. Half-court offense with five passes required before taking a shot. Shot must be wide open or high percentage to count. Players must move without the ball, set and use screens, or run.

Players may give nicknames to their designated trash cans if they so desire.

Last edited:
My Player Grades

Also i think Kellie needs to try and work Harris in because i`m not sure KK is the answer.

Not a good strategy. You have to come in tough from the beginning and ease up later. If you start soft you can't come back from that.

In many instances I would agree with you, but don’t see it as being as effective in this case.

I didn’t realize how much work Kelly has to do with them. Holly’s run and gun style was able to mask some, but not all, their lack of knowledge. It is sad that our juniors and sophomores are so far behind. Kelly was not my first choice, but I do have faith that she can teach and help some of them grow. She at least has ideas and can talk basketball, unlike what we had before.

Are there more details about Lou Brown's minute restrictions somewhere? I wonder how far her recovery has gone and how her knee is doing. She's such a fantastic, mature presence on the floor, and breath of fresh air.

It was something that Kellie mentioned in one of her preseason pressers. The gist of it is that they have been managing her workload (I assumed that restriction indicates that her knee is still having some issues, like swelling or soreness after playing). It was not clear if that policy would continue over the course of the season or if it was an early season precaution.

Reactions: LVsinceJV
36 percent shooting is the story of the game. 45 percent shooting which is the norm for most good teams puts us at 85 points and an easy 17 point win. Rethink the offense got to take better shots the way were playing now is not gonna be an effective offense for this team. Forget the three other than two or three players 18 is to may when you make 3.

Defense was good if you can ignore the 29 fouls which you can't. That gave them 17 points without being guarded. Lucky for us they can't make free throws effectively we put a good team on the line that much gonna lose.

Game was a win that is all you take out of this that is important. Our offense is scary. Defense good only if we can guard without fouling.

Our low scoring average is because of the 4th quarter.
1st Qtr. 45%, 2nd Qtr. 36%, 3rd Qtr. 52.9%, 4th. Qtr. 15%

My Player Grades

Just started reading this. Tamari Key had 11 points, 12 rebounds, 3 assists, zero turnovers, 5 blocks.

Last edited:
Today's practice schedule:

1. Borrow the fastest bench guard from Barnes.

2. With him starting just above the FT line, have each player guard him while he either drives or takes a pull-up jumper. Repeat this until each player has gone through five defensive cycles.

3. During this process, the rest of the team shoots free throws with managers recording misses. Players must shoot 200 FTs and run for each miss.

4. Half-court offense with five passes required before taking a shot. Shot must be wide open or high percentage to count. Players must move without the ball, set and use screens, or run.

Players may give nicknames to their designated trash cans if they so desire.

This sounds good (plus layup practice), but after playing (and running) last night, with another game tomorrow night, I’m thinking all that extra running might fit in better when they have more time between games. 🙂

Reactions: Smallvol#1

VN Store

Back