Game thread: LADY VOLS VS. ETSU

Coach Jumper

I can be there tomorrow
1572838445458.png
HOOPS CENTRAL: LADY VOLS VS. ETSU

Story Links

(Game will be on TV,,, MyVLT8 locally)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Tennessee, which is receiving votes in the AP and USA Today Coaches Polls, opens the 2019-20 regular-season schedule on Tuesday, Nov. 5, as the Lady Vols take on ETSU at Freedom Hall in Johnson City at 7 p.m. ET.

VolNation:

It's Lady Vol basketball time in Tennessee!
The Lady Vols had a decent first outing beating Carson Newman 70-44.

They will be looking to improve on some things and continue others:
The bad:
  • Assists to turnovers : 6 to 11 (we'll take the 11 turnovers, better than last year, but we need to see more team ball on the assist side)
  • We shot 35% going 28 for 79 for the game and 2 for 15 shooting three's ,,, we've got to value possessions more
The good:
  • No one from CN had a career day
  • CN never got to the freethrow line
  • We only had 12 personal fouls for the game

Some observations:

• We need to work on hedging screens on non-switches
  • Softening the release on Fastbreak layups so we get the FB bunnies
  • Communication on blindside screens and ball-screens
  • Take the charge! (Instead of "getting out of the way" of the driver, I want to see somebody take a charge))
  • We have to not lose our man on man defense,,,(You have to know where the ball is, not, follow it!)
  • KK and Key together on the floor sounds like a good idea, but to work the "twin tower" set, they will have to learn how to play off of each other instead of "avoiding each" other
  • There was no full-court press in this past game.

Let's go Ladies!
Time to get real!

Last edited:
This was a little surprising.

The match-up marks the regular-season debut of Kellie Harper as UT's head coach. She will attempt to become the first coach to win in her Lady Vol debut since Margaret Hutson beat MTSU at home on Jan. 15, 1971. The last time a Tennessee women's basketball coach was victorious in her debut game on the road was Mabel Miller, who directed her Big Orange troops to glory against Cumberland (Ky.) on March 10, 1922.

GO LADY VOLS-Set New Records!!!

does coach kellie continue with the same sub pattern she did with CN, or will her mindset be totally different in this game??

also predictions for the high scorers?? my top three guesses would be horston, davis, and green

i think rennie will hit a couple threes as well..love the way she can find the open perimeter spot and fire away. what do you guys think of her shooting form?

This was a little surprising.

The match-up marks the regular-season debut of Kellie Harper as UT's head coach. She will attempt to become the first coach to win in her Lady Vol debut since Margaret Hutson beat MTSU at home on Jan. 15, 1971. The last time a Tennessee women's basketball coach was victorious in her debut game on the road was Mabel Miller, who directed her Big Orange troops to glory against Cumberland (Ky.) on March 10, 1922.

GO LADY VOLS-Set New Records!!!

so summitt didnt win her first game??

to watch secn+ games, which can only be streamed online, you have to have the sec network thru ur cable or satellite provider. you also have to have the espn app, which you can download to your apple tv, roku, phone or tablet or similiar device. some smart tvs already have the espn app installed. to watch espn+ games, which will be the format for the etsu game, a seperate espn+ subscription is required

Last edited:
to watch espn+ games, which can only be streamed online, you have to have the sec network thru ur cable or satellite provider. you also have to have the espn app, which you can download to your apple tv, roku, phone or tablet or similiar device. some smart tvs already have the espn app installed.

Although you are correct that accessing ESPN+ requires the ESPN app, I think you have confused ESPN+ with SECN+. ESPN+ is a separate subscription service with ESPN that costs an additional $4.99/month payment and gives access to a large number of games from smaller schools that generally don't get ESPN coverage. It can be started and stopped any number of times, but it does not come with the SEC Network.

Jim

Although you are correct that accessing ESPN+ requires the ESPN app, I think you have confused ESPN+ with SECN+. ESPN+ is a separate subscription service with ESPN that costs an additional $4.99/month payment and gives access to a large number of games from smaller schools that generally don't get ESPN coverage. It can be started and stopped any number of times, but it does not come with the SEC Network.

Jim

was the carson newman game espn+? because i just have the sec network thru comcast, but i was able to watch the carson newman game..i dont have the extra espn + subscription

East Tennessee State University Logo
NOV 5 (TUE) 7:00 P.M. ET
AT
EAST TENNESSEE STATE
JOHNSON CITY, TN / FREEDOM HALL
TV: TV: MYVLT (KNOXVILLE), WEMT FOX 39 (TRI-CITIES) LIVE STREAM ($): ESPN+
RADIO: LADY VOL NETWORK
WATCH LIVE (ESPN+/SUBSCRIPTION) LISTEN

Looks like if you’re in Knoxville orTri-Cities, it’s on tv.

Reactions: sport3500 and T.J.
does coach kellie continue with the same sub pattern she did with CN, or will her mindset be totally different in this game??

also predictions for the high scorers?? my top three guesses would be horston, davis, and green

i think rennie will hit a couple threes as well..love the way she can find the open perimeter spot and fire away. what do you guys think of her shooting form?

Coach KJH's Mindset has to be totally different for this game.
This one counts and it sets the stage for this season

Ask me about shooting form when we hit some shots.
Shooting form really only comes into play within the arc,,,it's all about "stroke" out there in 3 land.
Consistent stroke and mental clarity during the taken-shot

Reactions: T.J.
I’m fired up, CoachJumper! Thanks for the appetizer; looking forward to the main course tomorrow night. :D

Reactions: T.J.
This 2019/2020 season is a new era for Lady Vol basketball and I'm excited.
I just hope that coach Harper starts the best 5 players for the entire season.
Point Guard
Jordan Horston
Shooting Guard
Zaay Green
Small Forward
Rennia Davis
Power Forward
Rae Burrell
Center
Kasi K
Good luck & welcome back Lady Vol fans. May we have a fantastic season!
GoLadyVols♥️

Honestly, I think it could be closer than 13 and they could lose especially if they play street ball on offense and do not play better interior defense.

Etsu played tennessee a tight game last year only down 10 after the first half. They also return the high scorer in that game, micah sheetz..

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Massey makes us a 15 point favorite. I am hoping they can't score 60 would be a great defensive effort to hold them under that mark. We may have to to win unless our offense picks up.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2

VN Store

Back