ESPN: The top 25 players in women's college basketball 2019-20

Rennia has better stats some of those players however I think the decline of TN basketball has something to do with it...

Reactions: mcannon1
Carter is what you call a volume shooter does not even have the efficiency of teammate Kayla Wells or Tennessee Lady Vol Rennia Davis both who are no where on this list.
Evidently efficiency on offense doesn't come into play when ESPN makes out a top 25 players list. Both Davis and Wells are better field goal shooters, better free throw shooters and shoot a high average from the three point line than the number three player in the nation.
FG-FGA-AVG
Chennedy Carter 238-591-.403-
Kayla Wells 176-368-.478
Rennia Davis 173-379-.457

3 Point shooting

Chennedy Carter 58-165-.352
Kayla Wells 43-111-.387
Rennia Davis 34-92-.370

Free Throw Shooting

Chennedy Carter 142-198-.717
Kayla Wells 119-147-.810
Rennia Davis 83-97-.856

Rebounds

Chennedy Carter 4.8 per game
Kayla Wells 3.3 per game
Rennia Davis 7.7 per game

Number of players on the Top 25 list:
Oregon: 3
Connecticut: 3
Stanford: 2
Oregon State: 2
Baylor: 1
Texas A&M: 1
Maryland: 1
Miami: 1
UCLA: 1
Arizona: 1
Princeton: 1
Kentucky: 1
Arkansas: 1
West Virginia: 1
Florida State: 1
Kansas State: 1
Louisville: 1
Purdue: 1
Seton Hall: 1

If we assume, just for the heck of it, that this assessment of best players in the nation is on target, then it would appear to be a very sound bet that the NCAA Championship game will be a battle between Oregon and Connecticut since both programs have three of the top 25.

With all the mind-blowing size and with a once-in-a-generation-level player in Sabrina Ionescu, along with the superior competition they’ll have down the stretch to prepare for the tournament, I imagine that Oregon would have the edge. The PAC-12 is nothing short of amazing this year. Wow.

But then, I don’t think Connecticut has ever lost in a national championship game, so you never know. I do believe, even with three of the top 25 players on the roster, that Conn. would have to play their best game of the season to do it, though.

Moving on, these numbers would indicate that Stanford and Oregon State should be in the Final Four with each program being blessed with two of the Top 25 players. I have always admired Tara and her program, and I would be over-the-moon happy for them if they do reach the Final Four.

P.S. I’m not sure why some folks here are so sure that Connecticut is going to have a “down” year. Even without a Tina Charles-like post, it seems to me like they're not hurting all that much. lol

Reactions: krichunaka
Rennia has better stats some of those players however I think the decline of TN basketball has something to do with it...

Of course. A player with Rennia's skills would have been on that list in the year 2012 B.H. In the year 2019 A.H., she'll have to win the voters over gradually by passing the Eye Test every time she's seen playing the game. She will have to give consistent, relentless effort and lead her team to victory in some games that they aren't predicted to win. When that happens, there'll be a shift in how the folks who put together these "best" lists view Davis.

They do, and I think Rennia hurt herself by the number of times she phoned it in last season. As good as her numbers were last year, they should have been better if she gave more consistent effort and results.

I wouldn't be surprised if she was a third team AA or close, but she could just as easily not make first team SEC. All up to her and what the coaching staff does with her.

Reactions: Rixxx and mcannon1
They do, and I think Rennia hurt herself by the number of times she phoned it in last season. As good as her numbers were last year, they should have been better if she gave more consistent effort and results.

I wouldn't be surprised if she was a third team AA or close, but she could just as easily not make first team SEC. All up to her and what the coaching staff does with her.

See when I look at Megan Walker I think the same thing she never played to her potential last year and her coach was always on her about it. The consistency piece but being UConn she gets the benefit of the doubt and also because he does usually get the best out of players (except the MS St Transfer).

The best part about this she can prove them wrong this season. Averaging a double- double with her efficiency would go a long ways.

See when I look at Megan Walker I think the same thing she never played to her potential last year and her coach was always on her about it. The consistency piece but being UConn she gets the benefit of the doubt and also because he does usually get the best out of players (except the MS St Transfer).

The best part about this she can prove them wrong this season. Averaging a double- double with her efficiency would go a long ways.
I agree that Megan Walker shouldn't be on this list either. I think you are absolutely right that her inclusion has more to do with Geno's ability to develop players than anything else. As someone else on this thread said, I would put Kayla Wells/TAMU ahead of both of them. She's the #2 scorer on a top 10 preseason team, and had a great season last year in a very important role as a consistent scorer alongside Carter.

I agree that Megan Walker shouldn't be on this list either. I think you are absolutely right that her inclusion has more to do with Geno's ability to develop players than anything else. As someone else on this thread said, I would put Kayla Wells/TAMU ahead of both of them. She's the #2 scorer on a top 10 preseason team, and had a great season last year in a very important role as a consistent scorer alongside Carter.

Couldn’t agree more ! All around good player improved offensive skills, rebounder, and her defensive skills stifled some of the better offensive players in the league!

Of course. A player with Rennia's skills would have been on that list in the year 2012 B.H. In the year 2019 A.H., she'll have to win the voters over gradually by passing the Eye Test every time she's seen playing the game. She will have to give consistent, relentless effort and lead her team to victory in some games that they aren't predicted to win. When that happens, there'll be a shift in how the folks who put together these "best" lists view Davis.

Maybe this has something to do with it. Davis guards her teammate.

Tennessee And Vanderbilt Put On Atrocious Display Of Women’s Basketball - The Daily Caller

Reactions: Amb3096
That pick she set on Green was vicious. The only thing more cringe worthy was that the Vandy player missed the layup.

The best ammo anti-WBB trolls could ask for 🤦‍♂️

Or a prime example of bad basketball like we had seen from other teams over the years but now up close and personal.

VN Store

Back