East Towne Mall is finally closing.

I have great memories of going there as a kid. Hitting up the food court, then going to the knife store, book store and pet store was so much fun. It used to be such a nice place.

We would drive up from the Tri to go shopping, when I was a kid. I always prefered East Towne to West Town.

It's an interesting situation. East Town Mall died a slow and horrible death and West Town Mall is thriving and is like "hey, what's up!?"

Nostalgic to see it close.

Didn’t grow up in Knoxville but went to East Towne a lot when we were in town visiting family; the map of campus on the floor always fascinated me as a kid.

Had my first job there too.

Reactions: davethevol
Being from OR, we always went to WT mall. ET was better in my mind probably just because we rarely went there. Was it actually better (early to mid-90's)?

Only time I went there was my freshman year at UT. There was a senior who looked like me and I took him to the DMV there to get a new ID so I could take his old one.

I only went once when I was at UT. It was my last visit. Surprised it lasted this long

Remember going after it opened in late summer. Only reason I can remember is because I drove girlfriend's car (280Z) with her out there. I had my leg in it and blew the soot out of that thing going over the 640 flyover. She turned white as a ghost.

I worked for a small furniture store just outside of JC Penny. It was the mid-90's when the mall was thriving despite being managed by Simon. My boss refused to be open on Sundays and the mall administrator at the time was constantly butting heads with him over that. I've never thought it was in a good location, there aren't any high-dollar residential areas nearby. Traffic around the mall was a pain, too.

I worked for a small furniture store just outside of JC Penny. It was the mid-90's when the mall was thriving despite being managed by Simon. My boss refused to be open on Sundays and the mall administrator at the time was constantly butting heads with him over that. I've never thought it was in a good location, there aren't any high-dollar residential areas nearby. Traffic around the mall was a pain, too.
And as I posted in the other thread, West Knoxvillians will NOT travel out of their little world, especially to way-the-heck-out-there East. East Towne was dependent on Jeff County and others, and there just wasn't enough population density to sustain it.

Reactions: rs16 and davethevol
And as I posted in the other thread, West Knoxvillians will NOT travel out of their little world, especially to way-the-heck-out-there East. East Towne was dependent on Jeff County and others, and there just wasn't enough population density to sustain it.
Which is crazy because it was the nicer of the two malls for the longest time.

Marketing research fail by somebody. They should have named it North Town Mall.

It's an interesting situation. East Town Mall died a slow and horrible death and West Town Mall is thriving and is like "hey, what's up!?"
I remember when East Towne was announced that the merchants at West Town were very concerned about the competition.

The city grew west. East has not built out the same. I think I went there maybe twice in four years of school.

Something is weird with this whole situation. I've read that the owners have plans for it. I was in a store within the mall about a month ago and the manager said they were asked to leave and they were getting ready to move. It's very strange.

Something is weird with this whole situation. I've read that the owners have plans for it. I was in a store within the mall about a month ago and the manager said they were asked to leave and they were getting ready to move. It's very strange.

Maybe there's some sinister activity afoot, like say a secret Russian lab being built underneath it to house a big machine that will open a portal to some weird upside down dimension or something. Never know... stranger things have happened.

Maybe there's some sinister activity afoot, like say a secret Russian lab being built underneath it to house a big machine that will open a portal to some weird upside down dimension or something. Never know... stranger things have happened.

You really should go eat a waffle or two, or 11.

Reactions: pismonque
Isn’t that supposed to be loosely based on Oak Ridge? I’m pretty sure I saw a map of Roane County in one of the episodes.

It's been dead. Traffic is terrible even though there is never anyone there. Sister lives near there so I have been a number of times.

VN Store

Back