The NHL thread (Buffalo, well at least you are not Cleveland)

Probably the longest-suffering fanbase in the league, right?

You have the longest active playoff drought (2011) and 3rd longest active streak without a playoff win (2007). The other two? Toronto (2004) and Florida (1996). But they both have more recent playoff appearances than Buffalo.
I know, I’m a glutton. But hey! We are winning right now so I’m enjoying it while I can

Probably the longest-suffering fanbase in the league, right?

You have the longest active playoff drought (2011) and 3rd longest active streak without a playoff win (2007). The other two? Toronto (2004) and Florida (1996). But they both have more recent playoff appearances than Buffalo.
When Pegula bought the team he tried to play fantasy hockey and that predictably failed, then in the McDavid / Eichel year their tank instilled a culture of losing.

They arent world beaters this season but they've got a stout defense and a very good supporting cast on the depth lines. If Middlestadt progresses into a legit 2C they are very good.

When Pegula bought the team he tried to play fantasy hockey and that predictably failed, then in the McDavid / Eichel year their tank instilled a culture of losing.

They arent world beaters this season but they've got a stout defense and a very good supporting cast on the depth lines. If Middlestadt progresses into a legit 2C they are very good.
Is the general thought about Pegula that he actually does want the team to be really good, but he just don't know what he's doing? Or is he more the Mike Brown-type where you can seriously question if he wants the team to be good or not?

Is the general thought about Pegula that he actually does want the team to be really good, but he just don't know what he's doing? Or is he more the Mike Brown-type where you can seriously question if he wants the team to be good or not?
I think he wants to win, but paid a lot of replacement level players coming off career years like stars in order to "Make a Splash". Ehrhoff, Moulson, Leino, amd guys like Okposo who just didnt work as expected.

Granted, you need to overpay to get guys to Buffalo, so there's got to be a solid pipeline of home grown players to be competitive.

Reactions: 05_never_again
Another surprise early is Bobrovsky sucking big time
Was goaltending really the only thing holding back Florida from being a good team? I know that Florida is in a position where they have to overpay to get FAs to come there, but I was kind of surprised they spent big on one. They weren't exactly close to making the playoffs last year. They can score, but I thought the defense was trash.

Was goaltending really the only thing holding back Florida from being a good team? I know that Florida is in a position where they have to overpay to get FAs to come there, but I was kind of surprised they spent big on one. They weren't exactly close to making the playoffs last year. They can score, but I thought the defense was trash.
Don’t follow the Panthers enough but he’s a 2 time Vezina winner. Even with poor D he should be doing better than he is.

Last edited:
Georgiev thoroughly outplaying Lundqvist so far, not a real surprise. Shestyerkin being at .950 in the AHL is a surprise, going to be a tough decision who moves when Hank fades away.

Don Cherry fired for saying immigrants should honor Canadian military members.

Canada – National Post

“I have just learned I’ve been fired by Sportsnet for comments made on Coach’s Corner Nov. 9,” Cherry told Warmington. “No problem.”
“I know what I said and I meant it. Everybody in Canada should wear a poppy to honour our fallen soldiers.”
“I speak the truth and I walk the walk. I have visited the bases of the troops, been to Afghanistan with our brave soldiers at Christmas, been to cemeteries of our fallen around the world and honoured our fallen troops on Coach’s Corner.”

The firing statement is classic corporate double speak

“Sports brings people together — it unites us, not divides us. Following further discussions with Don Cherry after Saturday night’s broadcast, it has been decided it is the right time for him to immediately step down,” said Sportsnet president Bart Yabsley. “During the broadcast, he made divisive remarks that do not represent our values or what we stand for.

Reactions: Toujours Pret
I don't see Babcock getting canned, but there's definitely something wrong there. Don't know that Shanahan/Dubas/Babcock are reading the same book, let alone being on the same page.

VN Store

Back