If we go 8-5 this season would be.....

. . . a tribute to senior leadership, most notably that of Juaun Jennings. You never know how a team will respond to adversity.

The 1980 team went belly up after losing last-second, season-opening heartbreakers to Georgia and USC (16-15 and 20-17, respectively). They finished 5-6, which included November losses to weak Virginia and Ole Miss teams before posting resounding victories over Kentucky and Vandy to close out the year.

The next season, Tennessee was absolutely slaughtered coming out of the gate, losing to Georgia and USC by the combined score of 87-7. They rebounded nicely, however, ultimately finishing the season 8-4, including a Garden State Bowl victory over Wisconsin. From a scheduling standpoint, that record was, admittedly, aided by the fact that three teams defeated by Tennessee had historically bad seasons. Colorado State, Georgia Tech and Memphis compiled a 2-32 record, collectively.

By literal definition, they are not:

In North America, a bowl game is one of a number of post-season college football games that are primarily played by teams belonging to the NCAA's Division I Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS).
By school records, they are.

Crucify me if you want...but I say coach of the year material...

Think about it...you start the season with arguably the worst loss in school history, you follow it with an absolute heart breaker you had in the bag...at that point you have a roster full of kids you mostly didn’t recruit you have to keep from quitting on you, you have a clear issue at QB with no clear answer and two freshmen as your only fallback, you have issues still at every level of the defense and every level of the offense except WR...and you are facing the meat of your schedule with most people thinking 2-10 is a real possibility and 3-9 is a best case scenario...

I’m telling you...I know he won’t get coach of the year from any publication...but it would be one of the most spectacular turnarounds I’ve ever personally witnessed

Think about it...you start the season with arguably the worst loss in school history, you follow it with an absolute heart breaker you had in the bag...at that point you have a roster full of kids you mostly didn’t recruit you have to keep from quitting on you, you have a clear issue at QB with no clear answer and two freshmen as your only fallback, you have issues still at every level of the defense and every level of the offense except WR...and you are facing the meat of your schedule with most people thinking 2-10 is a real possibility and 3-9 is a best case scenario...

I’m telling you...I know he won’t get coach of the year from any publication...but it would be one of the most spectacular turnarounds I’ve ever personally witnessed

As long as next season, it doesn't take 5 games to figure out who should start on the oline, and who should start at QB. The good will that Pruitt can build with winning out or at least getting to 6 wins, is going to come with the expectation, that we aren't starting off year 3 the same way wed did year 2.

A great season to send some of our seniors out on. It could have been more, but hindsight is for ppl focused on the past. 8-5, 5-3 in the SEC will have us 3rd in the East and mean we will have a lot of hype going into next season. I'm proud of this team's ability to remain focused. Plenty of former Vol teams have not under similar circumstances.

If we go 8-5, this season would be...

-- a success
-- an opportunity missed (for the first two games)
-- exciting to have watched
-- a nice recovery
-- a corner turned
-- a jekyll-and-hyde story
-- perhaps the start of something special

Reactions: Longhorn Vol
If we win out and key players come back next year (Kennedy, Smith, our running backs etc) and with a strong recruiting class, we could be a 10 or 11 win team next year with a chance to win the East.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Amazing...and negavol fodder.
You won’t hear a cross word out of this nega-vol if we win 8 games. I never expected to win 6, and am still dubious about that. But the improvement is real, and I for one would be thrilled with 7 and a bowl win given the early season hole we dug.

Reactions: volmoon
We would be 5-3 in the SEC which would tie our best record after 2007. (2015)

Pretty sure the bowl game counts towards your record just like the stats count

Overall record, sure, season record no. Butch Jones never won 9 games during a regular season at UT; he got to 8 wins and won bowl games those years.

Bowls, are literally, post-season games, and given that half of FBS gets one, are relatively meaningless outside of the CFP.

For most teams, a bowl invite, is an affirmation of at least getting to .500 on the season.

I'll save someone else the trouble.....GA ST. LOL

Known as the season of what might have been...

What might have been if the guys bought in earlier, played harder at key moments, caused a couple more things to fall their way...oh what might have been.
I was hoping the Defense would be great in its second year right out of the gate but with Bituli being out hurt us. But the offense is in its first year with a new OC. It is what it is. Took a few games for both to start clicking.

Win out and it is a good not great season on par with what we were getting out of Jones.

Look forward to a day when anything short of winning the SEC East can qualify as a disappointment again.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Overall record, sure, season record no. Butch Jones never won 9 games during a regular season at UT; he got to 8 wins and won bowl games those years.

Bowls, are literally, post-season games, and given that half of FBS gets one, are relatively meaningless outside of the CFP.

For most teams, a bowl invite, is an affirmation of at least getting to .500 on the season.
And we still celebrated a 9 win season. We didnt say Botch won 8 and a bowl game. In our eyes its a 9 win season period. Now if they stop allowing seniors to play in the bowl games and the stats stop counting towards regular season stats then we might be on the same page

8-5 WOULD BE SORTA LIKE A 10-3 SEEMS TO ME!

COULDN'T MAKE ME BELIEVE WE SHOULD NOT HAVE WON A COUPLE MORE THAN WE DID AT START OF YEAR!

VN Store

Back