Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friend & Sherrer are the weak links on the staff. Pruitt is trying to talk them up.

I hope we upgrade the Staff this coming offseason.

Bring me Tosh Lupoi for Sherrer. I’m open to suggestions for Will Friend’s replacement.

No. I want our roster to have continuity and stability. OL and DL are playing better than they have in years and you want to replace their position coaches? No thanks...

Chaney took over what? The OLINE? I’ve been to practices and Chaney hasn’t taken over the Oline. He’s in charge of the Offense in general. The Oline is Friends. Period.
They work together as any Oline and OC should.
Thinking maybe it’s just a good match between Chaney and Friend. And if that’s the case, then don’t break them up cause they are shaping this Oline to be Top 2-3 next year.

Once again, just my opinions guys. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

But it makes for such a good story. Unless you have actually been there and seen...

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. :)

I spent a bit more time yesterday looking at UAB because.....well....Georgia State. The consensus is that UAB has a really good coach and the guy is a defensive minded coach, similar to Pruitt. They come from the same neck of the woods and I think Pruitt said Clark beat him in a state championship game one year when they were both still coaching high school.

Anyway, I watch some game film from this year and listened in on the weekly press conference for Clark and a couple of their players.

Johnston is one of the top QBs in CUSA and he has 3 prolific upperclassmen wide receivers. In the game films I watched the receivers were constantly getting behind the secondary and TJ was able to get them the ball. In most of the tape I watched the QB had plenty of time to throw and the stats show, as noted yesterday, that his OL has only given up 5 sacks so far this year.

The UAB defense is ranked #1 in rushing defense, #1 in passing defense, #1 in total defense, and #1 in scoring defense for CUSA. Granted they haven’t played “anybody” but that’s still worth noting.

Of the 65 players that have a 247 composite rating, 32 are 3-stars and 33 are 2-stars. Of those, 12 are seniors, 17 are juniors, 13 are sophomores, and 23 are freshmen. 247 ranks their roster as 94th best in college football.

The thing that stood out to me most was from Clark’s presser. UAB has a number of players that are or have been “banged up”. Some could possibly return this week BUT I’m not sure how much this game means to Clark and his team. There’s no doubt they would love to pull the upset but their real goal is to compete for the conference championship and they have 4 games after us that will decide whether or not they get to the big game. Clark, speaking to the media, seemed to suggest it was more important to get the “banged up” guys healthy and ready for that 4 game stretch than it was to rush them back for the game against us. I guess it could be a trick. lol.

Anyway, I’m expecting (hoping) we will come out and play at a high level and come away with something like a 20+ point win. When I watched Freak’s replay of our game last week I noticed that Pruitt called out the offense on TV during halftime against SC for not being aggressive enough. That obviously led to a change in offensive play-calling in the 2nd half. I’m hoping to see us play aggressive on both sides of the ball on Saturday, taking no chances. We need to keep their receivers in front of us and we need to keep sustained pressure on Johnston.

I’m not EXACTLY worried about this game but in this three game stretch where we’ve shown considerable improvement if my count is right our offense has put an average of 20 points on the scoreboard for those 3 games, 20 against MSU, 13 against Bama, and 27 against SC. In 7 games so far this year Clark and UAB haven’t allowed “anyone” to score more than 20 points against their defense.

Pruitt said after SC that he thought we grew up some but we needed to sustain that level of maturity going forward. He suggested that at one point last year he thought the same thing but it didn’t last. I’m a bit more optimistic this year, with lessons learned and a significant change in the personnel on the roster from what he inherited for his first season.

Clearly, the UAB fans and players view the opportunity to play in Neyland Stadium against the Tennessee Volunteers as a real treat. It’s not really that difficult to see where they’re coming from. They expect us to be the best team they will play this year and for some it will be a lifetime memory. We owe them and we owe ourselves our best effort. It’s not just a matter of maturity, It’s a matter of mutual respect. jmo.
Great analysis. Bass has already mentioned this, but we absolutely have to do better in the red zone. If we continue to struggle, then we finish 5-7, IMO. I think that there might also be a very small letdown, but losing against Georgia State should help us avoid that. I think we win, but I think it is only by 10-14. Something like 27-16.

Reactions: ChattaTNVol
Really wouldn't bother me if we didn't schedule games like that. Don't think there's a ton to gain from it. If you win the SEC, you're in the playoff. I love seeing Tennessee bend a cupcake over on Saturdays. 4 easy wins.
I agree. If we did not have Bama, Georgia and Florida every single year, it might be fun. We don't need to schedule these kinds of games. Save it for a bowl game or, hopefully, at some point, the playoff.

I agree. If we did not have Bama, Georgia and Florida every single year, it might be fun. We don't need to schedule these kinds of games. Save it for a bowl game or, hopefully, at some point, the playoff.
Yep. We're at a disadvantage already having to play Bama every year. Schedule 4 easy non-conference wins and beat UK, Missouri, South Carolina, and Vanderbilt every year and you're already at 8 wins.

We need to give Small a ring ding and ask him if he wants to play for a team where people actually watch the games.
There a lot of ring dings going on right now. Just needed the buzz we got around that game, atmosphere and recruits talking about the fact we are headed in right direction. Well we see who is interested in the bait and reel in when hook is set.

We are top 50 in yards allowed per game

110th in redzone conversions

17th in FG percentage

49th in 3rd down conversions

40th in sacks per game

38th in opponent redzone conversions

Some random stats. Weird to see redzone offense struggle so badly. We are starting to get to the QB a little better now. Cimaglia is a beast. OL is doing much better. Defense as a whole has tightened up a lot since the Florida game

Reactions: nesbuddha66
There a lot of ring dings going on right now. Just needed the buzz we got around that game, atmosphere and recruits talking about the fact we are headed in right direction. Well we see who is interested in the bait and reel in when hook is set.
CFu8ouq.jpg

You think Friend was helped a lot by Chaney or was that not much of a factor in OL development?
I think he helped a little bit but not really a major factor in the OL development. He had been there contributing the entire time even when they were not performing well....it just wasn’t being reported as much as it was happening when the media folks were not around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back