Targeting Hit KO’s JG, No Flag

What is the difference between the hit last week that got Butuli ejected and this one? Both seemed to hit below the helmet of the offensive player, but both led with the crown of their helmet. Serious question, I can't seem to get a grasp of what targeting is. It seems to change on a weekly basis.

Reactions: papatomany and AM64
Folks, the targeting rule is not only for the offensive players’ safety. That’s why it can be called for launching and leading with the crown of the helmet; to keep defenders from hurting themselves. Contact with the helmet of the offensive player is not the only requirement for the flag.

It's a little amazing how some penalties are so one sided ... especially when they are supposed all about safety. Another in particular is the face mask penalty ... like the uncalled one last night. There were actually two face masks with hands wrapped around them on that play - perhaps it was uncalled to avoid the absurdity of calling one but not the other a penalty. If a face mask is a safety issue for the runner then how is a good stiff arm to the face or face mask grab to the defender not also a safety issue? How can a runner lowering his head contribute less to targeting than the defensive player leading with his helmet? Targeting in general ignores simple anatomy - when running forward (ignoring arm placement), the head is generally the first part of the upper anatomy to get there ... it's really hard to go center of mass with the head behind the shoulder without a body redesign. Too many new rules seem to be in place simply to make the game easier for the offense and to increase the scoring celebrations for fans. Football has always been a defensive game ... not a TD parade.

Definite launch and contact with crown of helmet. Since contact was in chest area, is that targeting? I don't know. I don't think officials can agree on it either. I would rule it a clean hit. JG is one tough cookie. Not too many QB's would stand in and take that shot.

Wish Maurer was as indestructible as JG.

Definite launch and contact with crown of helmet. Since contact was in chest area, is that targeting? I don't know. I don't think officials can agree on it either. I would rule it a clean hit. JG is one tough cookie. Not too many QB's would stand in and take that shot.

I am on the fence as far as if it should have been called targeting. Although the hit wasn't to the head or neck area he did lead with crown of helmet. There is so much gray area when it comes to the targeting rule, it seems to leave it open for the ref's to call or not to call. Had it been Tua Tagovailoa taking that hit i feel certain it would have been called and reviewed. Maybe not have been confirmed as targeting, but ref would have called it.

Last edited:
If you wanted to show a video of a launch to a defenseless player, you’d show this video. It does not have to be to the head or neck. Crown of helmet hit is evidence of the launch. A player completing the passing motion is a defenseless player.

Reactions: AM64 and TBrown
How about that obvious and very aggressive face mask that was missed on our RB (I think it was Chandler) just before the TD to Jennings in the back of the end zone? How the hell did they miss that? The officiating in the SEC this season has been a farce.

Reactions: AM64 and NEO
Skanky and his entire crew need investigated and penalties to all involved in such a farce. The SEC office needs to at least be in Atlanta, preferable Knoxville, (lol).

Reactions: AM64
Skanky and his entire crew need investigated and penalties to all involved in such a farce. The SEC office needs to at least be in Atlanta, preferable Knoxville, (lol).

Careful bub. Until you have refereed a soccer game you have no idea....blue font

Reactions: Tnslim1
At a minimum, that’s gotta be unnecessary roughness given how you can’t hit a qb anymore.

How about that obvious and very aggressive face mask that was missed on our RB (I think it was Chandler) just before the TD to Jennings in the back of the end zone? How the hell did they miss that? The officiating in the SEC this season has been a farce.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-10-27-10-34-43-1.png
    Screenshot_2019-10-27-10-34-43-1.png
    995.3 KB · Views: 29

VN Store

Back