Why all-in on Pruitt now???

I don't understand all the optimism you blokes have now. All of the sudden, Pruitt is definitely the right coach. The Vols are 2-5 this year with losses to BYU and Georgia St. Now coming off a blowout loss to an Alabama team without Tua for most of the game, the Vols have turned the corner?
Butch Jones had two 9-4 seasons and 3 bowl wins, and you jimmies wanted him fired the whole time he was here.

i can’t say I’m “all in” on Pruitt. However, when you look at the AL game with all the UT underclassmen holding their own against the nation’s top athletes with years of experience and weight training, there is something going on here.

Reactions: feathersax
View attachment 232858Volnation has to be "all in" on Pruitt because there is no reasonable or practical way that we could get dealt another hand after the chaos of the last 10 years. We have to go with what we got.

But dont give up hope. In the words of one of the greatest movie characters of all time....
"Oddball" wisdom. Love that movie.

If you have any football knowledge whatsoever, you saw dramatic improvement from game 1 to game 7. Is this not what we want and need ? Yes we lost to Georgia st, ever stop to think that loss was necessary to get the players minds right about what it’s truly gonna take it to become a good / elite football team ? We held our own to the point of having the advantage in the TRENCHES Saturday night against the best in the nation. If you are still bitching and complaining after seeing that , you just like to bitch and complain.

I think the no talent excuse has been debunked by now.
Did anyone say we don’t have any talent? Or did folks say we have some good talent, vast majority is Fr/So, but zero quality depth?

Our first 21/22 are good enough to win some games. If JG had simply played like ‘18 JG we’ve got 2-3 more Ws right now.

Dang if Jones or Dooley had just thought to jerk a players face mask on national tv they would have kept their jobs! I am sure both are kicking their own butts knowing that’s all they needed to do! 🤷‍♂️ Let’s not forget our new hero coach Pruitt truly believed and probably still does that JG is the best QB! 6 wins and a bowl is improvement!

I don't understand all the optimism you blokes have now. All of the sudden, Pruitt is definitely the right coach. The Vols are 2-5 this year with losses to BYU and Georgia St. Now coming off a blowout loss to an Alabama team without Tua for most of the game, the Vols have turned the corner?
Butch Jones had two 9-4 seasons and 3 bowl wins, and you jimmies wanted him fired the whole time he was here.
oh hey Butch!

If you can't see the tremendous, improvement of this team this year, you know nothing about football and you shouldn't post, just read. Butch Jones, started Jalen Hurd over Alvin Kamara!! Go back and watch the Texas A&M game. Butch Jones LOST to Vanderbilt with the East Championship and Sugar Bowl on the line. Butch Jones, went 0-8, finishing 4-8 the FIRST time Tennessee had ever lost 8 games in a season. Now only Ohio St. has done that. Thanks Butch.

For the 1st time in a long time Tennessee controlled the line of scrimmage against an elite team. Pruitt is building the lines so that we can win in the trenches. If you can win the fight at the line of scrimmage you can consistently win in this league. So my reason for optimism is the fact that we ran the ball down Alabama’s throat, until Guarantano screwed up the drive. They knew it was coming and couldn’t stop it.

Did anyone say we don’t have any talent? Or did folks say we have some good talent, vast majority is Fr/So, but zero quality depth?

Our first 21/22 are good enough to win some games. If JG had simply played like ‘18 JG we’ve got 2-3 more Ws right now.

Yes, there are many posts on this board claiming we didn't have the talent to compete in the SEC. Hell there are posts claiming we didn't have the talent to compete against BYU.

Shortage in comparison to who? Bama, UGA possibly UF? Yeah I can agree with that. The rest of our competition no.

It’s not a talent issue with the 11 on the field in most cases, it’s the guys rotating in for them. Not much talent behind JJ and Calloway for example

BS. We have better talent than the majority of the teams on our schedule.

Agree to disagree. But I’m curious as to what you’re measuring our talent by - recruiting rankings? That doesn’t tell the whole story. JG was a 4*, Maurer and 3* for example. Do we have more talent than GaSt, BYU, Vandy, and KY? Yes. More than UGA, Bama, UF, SC? Nope

Agree to disagree. But I’m curious as to what you’re measuring our talent by - recruiting rankings? That doesn’t tell the whole story. JG was a 4*, Maurer and 3*

What else is there to measure by? And don't give me the BS about Butch's guys and how he didn't develop them, Pruitt has had them for over a year and a half.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
What else is there to measure by? And don't give me the BS about Butch's guys and how he didn't develop them, Pruitt has had them for over a year and a half.

I didn’t mention Butch - where that coming from? We do not have top shelf talent at the most important position on the field - QB. Oline has some talent but half of it are playing as true freshmen. Warrior is not 4* talent as was projected. I’m just looking at play on the field, not star ranking.

Cause we realize a team with no talent keep up with one that has everybody. They played harder against Bama than Butch did his entire tenure.

No talent? There's multiple five stars, proven playmakers, and decent depth at a lot of positions. I think the only position you can say UT is lacking talent is probably QB.

No talent is such a terrible excuse when you have Wright, Morris, Smith, Jennings, Callaway, DWA, Palmer, Jordan, Chandler, Gray. I'm probably forgetting guys off the top of my head...defense is young but guys like Thompson and Henry will be stars. DL isn't great but improving I believe.

I didn’t mention Butch - where that coming from? We do not have top shelf talent at the most important position on the field - QB. Oline has some talent but half of it are playing as true freshmen. Warrior is not 4* talent as was projected. I’m just looking at play on the field, not star ranking.

Play on the field has mostly been due to coaching. Now I have seen improvement over the last 2-3 weeks so let's hope that continues. There will be no excuse for losses to UAB, Vandy, UK and Mizzu. USCe is a tossup the way they are playing.

Play on the field has mostly been due to coaching. Now I have seen improvement over the last 2-3 weeks so let's hope that continues. There will be no excuse for losses to UAB, Vandy, UK and Mizzu. USCe is a tossup the way they are playing.

Well then, we agree 👍🏻

Our NCAA football discussion group met last night at the Oak Ridge Applebee's. I had mentioned it and invited everyone to attend a little earlier in the thread, so I thought I'd share the highlights from last night. We had 3 other couples in attendance. One from Adamsville, one from Oak Ridge, and one from Cleveland. All are regular attenders, so no new couples. We all had the riblets (can't go wrong there). As usual, my wife created a highlight video from Saturday's game, and we all watched it after we finished eating. The video always gets the conversational juices flowing so to speak. We then ordered several pitchers of Blue Moon and we got down to the business of discussing Saturday's game. There were some heated discussions on several points. Don't want to bore you, so I'll just hit the high points.
1. The majority of us were disgusted with Coach Pruitt's handling of JG after the fumble. Feel that Coach Pruitt needs more "social awareness" if he is the face of the program. National television was not the place to dress JG down for that. Could have been pulled out immediately, and he could have gotten his scolding in private. A couple of the guys were in tears while speaking of this situation.
2. All felt our offensive line play was pretty impressive. After doing much study on the physics and technique of blocking this summer, my wife and I now feel pretty well educated when discussing line play.
3. All of us also agreed that our defense looks much more prepared than it did earlier in the season. Clint (guy in our group) has a motto that he always uses when discussing defense, "Alignment, Assignment, Attack". And he feels the Vols were pretty solid with this Saturday. He had a few to many Blue Moons, and he kept screaming that motto over and over. Manager had to ask him to stop. Bloke can't hold his suds......
4. Had some good discussion on maybe moving Jennings to QB. Maurer may be injured still, and we don't think Pruitt will play Guarantano anymore. However, at this point, most of us still believe Guarantano gives us the best shot at winning.
Again new couples are welcomed. Join us.......

Reactions: BloomuVol

VN Store

Back