This has got to stop [referees]

Don't wanna hear anything from you about officials. Had there been reviews in the 90s our rivalry would have been A LOT different.

How so? There weren’t that many close games in the 90s to where a replay overturn would have made a difference.

The outcome in 1998 doesn’t change.

I don’t recall any questionable calls in our 1999 game where a replay overturn changes the outcome. You guys deserved to lose that game when Fulmer had a Mack truck like Jamal Lewis run wide on a sweep against our speedy defense on 4th and 3.

Our 2000 game would have played out differently for sure, but the Gaffney “catch” happened on 2nd down. Spurrier would have had two more shots at the win.

UT probably wins more convincingly in 2001, as Grossman had a couple fumbles that were ruled incomplete passes. UT won regardless.

UF got screwed in 2004 twice...officials screwed up the clock, then flagged our guy for returning a punch thrown by your guy instead flagging both guys for UC. No worries though, that loss helped get rid of Zook.

That questionable roughing call against UT on Chris Leak in 2006 isn’t reviewable today, but I acknowledge the call was of the ticky-tack variety.

And speaking of 1998, I seem to recall an obvious PI on UT late in the season opener against Syracuse that wasn’t called, allowing UT to get the ball back resulting in a GW FG by Jeff Hall. The rest of that season played out well for you guys.

Sometimes you get the breaks, sometimes you don’t.

Last edited:
Well, I know the TSSAA isn’t supposed to let refs from high school do their hometown games, that they went to high school there. So, I know of a couple of refs that they won’t let them do. So, I take it that it needs to be the same way.

Well, I know the TSSAA isn’t supposed to let refs from high school do their hometown games, that they went to high school there. So, I know of a couple of refs that they won’t let them do. So, I take it that it needs to be the same way.

Steve Shaw was not allowed to call Alabama games when he was a referee, since he’s a Bama alum. Believe it or not there are rules governing the officials.

Third party refs hired by outside company with no ties to conference. That would help. I think.

I seriously believe Bama hasn't. At the very least, not as much as everyone else. And before anyone brings up the nonsense that Bama is the most penalized team in the conference, that isn't what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the context and impact of the calls. To disregard context is the same thing as saying JG and Peyton Manning are the same quarterback because they showed a graphic Saturday night that they had the same completion percentage. Context is EVERYTHING and Bama never gets game changing calls against them.

If I could give you 100 likes, I would

Threaten to leave the conference unless an entire new officiating staff has been hired and assured there would be no bias. Vols to the ACC if you ask me. South Carolina should come with us as well. Hell anyone that's not named Bama, UGA and Florida might as well too.
I think GT did this, didn't end well.

Reactions: Lawrence Wright
The endless quest for fairness and perfection is just that....endless.

Human error is part of the deal. There is a certain amount, that while horrible, has to be tolerated, IMO.

We have just passed the tolerable point.

I would be willing to add review for some things if we end review for others.

There should not be a 10 minute review on whether or not a receiver caught a 2 yard pass on 1st and 10.
Why not? If reviews are the future, then the whole damned thing should be subject at any time. A 'targeting' call should be reviewable and should also be allowed to be changed to the lesser charge of 'roughing the passer'. Do you want to get it right or not? Maybe the coaches should be allowed to challenge the calls, AND THE PENALTY itself like the one I mentioned. And that should be unlimited. If they are wrong, they lose a timeout, and when out of timeouts, lose 5 yards. It will sort itself out.

We have had a pretty good year penalty wise I think... and in this game we hit 3 separate penalties in the same damned play. Really? We got that sloppy overnight?

"Look at it first" This is the problem, "overturning" a call is not what other officials like doing. They let the play stand and use the not enough evidence to over turn most times. As to targeting, medical, social, media, name it damnation or proof will hardly ever allow an overrule on a play that looks like the play in question. Our defender did have his head down, but what or how do you stop the guy from scoring. A catch 22 type play to me. DAMNED if you do and DAMNED if you don't.
Sometimes the penalty is worth the crime. Pass interference for example. If you are about to be burned... tackle the guy. Period. There should be a reprieve mechanism on both sides though. As I said in the post above. The charge should be allowed to be reduced to a lesser crime. Or maybe we need some thugs at UT to take out opposing QBs like Bama has....

UT would do better in the ACC much better, and we would fit in quite nicely on the basketball side of things.
We recruit NC and SC hard so why not go to the ACC. I’ve thought for years the deck was stacked against anyone not named Alabama in football or Kentucky in basketball. It might send a wakeup call to the SEC. There could be others who would follow suit.

Reactions: BigOrangeAl 1979
We recruit NC and SC hard so why not go to the ACC. I’ve thought for years the deck was stacked against anyone not named Alabama in football or Kentucky in basketball. It might send a wakeup call to the SEC. There could be others who would follow suit.
If Mizzou can join the SEC and West Virginia can join the Midwest flavored Big 12 we sure as heck could join the ACC half of our state is in the Eastern time zone along with bordering NC and Virginia.

Here is a recap. It is interesting that the questionable calls only went one way! [VIDEO=]]

Threaten to leave the conference unless an entire new officiating staff has been hired and assured there would be no bias. Vols to the ACC if you ask me. South Carolina should come with us as well. Hell anyone that's not named Bama, UGA and Florida might as well too.
We are awful, they would say ok leave and then pick someone else up

Do you seriously believe that everyone hasn’t gotten the short end of the stick with officials?

There used to be a running joke on Florida boards about the rankings for penalties per game and average yards penalized under Spurrier, Zook, and Urban at Florida compared to everywhere else they coached. You should see the numbers.

That South Carolina game that just was played, Florida got hosed the entire first half. I know. I know. The league office called and in the 2nd half, it got “fixed”.

When you get the short end of the stick, it sucks and I get it. But, this conspiracy stuff has gone too far. They’re just bad.

That said, we should demand better officiating (basketball too) for the league as it is bad most saturdays in a lot of league games.
Lizard troll go away back to your troll hole. When you mention fla gators you feel like you need a shower.

Reactions: BigOrangeAl 1979
Taylor laid on top of him for several seconds after hitting him. He then appeared to push him back down on the turf. The replay showed that the “shove” was minor but watching live it looked bad.

Come on. Some of yall need to get real. Clearly some have not ever made a tackle much less come close to getting a sack. Generally what happens is once Taylor tackled him and Jones get rid of the ball for a split second you are getting your bearings to figure out A) did he get rid of the ball and B) what happened with the pass. After seeing the ball fall incomplete Taylor proceeds to get up without looking at Jones or talking smack. When you are sitting on someone you can't use the ground for leverage to get up. There was no push. The guy weighs 240 to 250. Jones moved about as much as you would expect from a 250lb player getting off you.

We ahould use big 10, or pac 10 refs for an important sec game. Its obvious bama will alway get the calls.

I say if you're going to call PI, targeting , or roughing on someone that changes the course of a game, at least go to the monitors and look at it first. They just get too many calls wrong, starts to look like they have money on the game.

Dude, Bituli targeted. End of story

As bad as we’ve been lately, they may just call our bluff.😬
GBO!!

Do you seriously believe that everyone hasn’t gotten the short end of the stick with officials?

There used to be a running joke on Florida boards about the rankings for penalties per game and average yards penalized under Spurrier, Zook, and Urban at Florida compared to everywhere else they coached. You should see the numbers.

That South Carolina game that just was played, Florida got hosed the entire first half. I know. I know. The league office called and in the 2nd half, it got “fixed”.

When you get the short end of the stick, it sucks and I get it. But, this conspiracy stuff has gone too far. They’re just bad.

That said, we should demand better officiating (basketball too) for the league as it is bad most saturdays in a lot of league games.
You guys should play Bama every year

Reactions: VolsSince78
I seriously believe Bama hasn't. At the very least, not as much as everyone else. And before anyone brings up the nonsense that Bama is the most penalized team in the conference, that isn't what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the context and impact of the calls. To disregard context is the same thing as saying JG and Peyton Manning are the same quarterback because they showed a graphic Saturday night that they had the same completion percentage. Context is EVERYTHING and Bama never gets game changing calls against them.
How many times have you seen Bama go three quarters with no penalties only to get flagged six times in the fourth? After the game has been decided?

Reactions: Volfanjohnny2005

VN Store

Back