Our Soccer team has its hands full tonight vs #7 South Carolina

StrangeVol

You don't get a top ten ranking by being a pretty good soccer team. Based on their record alone one could easily say that South Carolina is perhaps WAY better than pretty good, some might even say great. Sporting an overall record of 11-1-1 and an SEC mark of 5-0-1 (the tie was at Vandy) they look very strong although there is a small glimmer of hope. Over their last 5 games they've scored only 1 goal per game or 0 goals against Vandy. So if we could just scorer a goal or two..... :confused:

In conclusion, let me just say that I'd be less than truthful if I said I expect anything other than getting our collective butts kicked tonight in Columbia. The match starts at 7:00 pm and will be televised by SECN+.

Given our seemed inability to score I just don't think this match will be anything other than frustrating to watch. Glutton for punishment that I am, I'll be tuned in and hoping for a real upset. What else can one do? :)

AMEN...:D...yep, SV, the girls got a long row to hoe...next three games; #7 SC, #24 FL, then #8 Arky, ...whew wee, the way we've been playing getting one win might be asking a lot, but heck, I'm hoping for the best in a bad situation...like you said...what else can one do...:D

GO LADY VOLS...KICK SOMEBODY'S BOOTY!

Reactions: MAD
I thought our Soccer team was supposed to be good! Didn't they have a top ranked class? This team stinks. What's up with Penske?

I thought our Soccer team was supposed to be good! Didn't they have a top ranked class? This team stinks. What's up with Penske?

jeff, This is without a doubt a disappointing season so far but saying the team "stinks" is a bit over the top, imo. Consider a few facts; first, we lost a lot of scoring and general leadership from last year's team, which was likely the best team we've fielded in a very long time, if ever. Second, the remaining team leaders have been hit with injuries and we've lost Erin Gilroy, a sterling forward/midfielder for almost the full season to date, midfielder and offensive leader Katie Cousins for most of the SEC schedule which is a BIG deal, defender Wrenne French has been out for the last three matches and now our starting goalkeeper Lindsey Romig is out for some period of time.

Also, factor in that while we had a top tier recruiting class they are FRESHMEN and haven't played together before this season and are struggling to find their places and roles. It's not easy to mesh a bunch of talented freshmen into an existing team of veterans and transfers especially if half our top players are injured to one degree or another. So there's that.

Finally, I think it's pretty well known that I am not a huge Pensky fan. He is a good coach but not a great coach. I question a lot of things I see us doing but I'm no soccer expert and Coach Pensky has forgotten more about soccer than I know.

So I'll disagree with you about the team stinking. Our offense is a wreck at present and until we get another veteran forward/midfielder (hopefully Erin Gilroy) that can score back in the fold, we will continue to struggle, imo. Our defense, on the other hand, has been very good to excellent.

At the end of the day, this may just be a season to forget. Too many things have gone wrong, we've had a lot of bad luck and our freshmen just aren't ready for SEC soccer (which is much more physical than they've ever experienced) just yet. If you don't think aggressive to dirty physical play is a factor, watch a match and notice how other teams are "roughing up" our younger/smaller players. Experience size and toughness matter in soccer, too.

At this point, all I can say is..."it is what it is" like it or not.

Last edited:
tied the game with 56 seconds left!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 OT starting shortly. Ladies played and put relentless pressure on the cocks the complete second half... I have not been impressed with Alozie this year at all. Had hoped she could help us in the middle but really too small and haphazard. The Ivey league and SEC is like Hs and College!!1 pensky replaced her with McKenzie George who was on fire and started the scoring goal. Moved MA to the middle she got credit for the goal. Look forward to StrangeVol and his critique after this one is over. Might as well win it and ruin the cocks record!!

Last edited:
That is like a win against the Gamehens on their field...a well-played match for the most part although we were pretty weak early.

It's clear that Maya, Katie, and MA are the heart and soul of the team. Watching them work together moving the ball forward is a thing of beauty at times. Some of the new players, George, in particular, are beginning to lend a hand as well. I see progress but we still have a long way to go to be truly competitive. It will come, but just not this year I fear.

tied the game with 56 seconds left!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 OT starting shortly. Ladies played and put relentless pressure on the cocks the complete second half... I have not been impressed with Alozie this year at all. Had hoped she could help us in the middle but really too small and haphazard. The Ivey league and SEC is like Hs and College!!1 pensky replaced her with McKenzie George who was on fire and started the scoring goal. Moved MA to the middle she got credit for the goal. Look forward to StrangeVol and his critique after this one is over. Might as well win it and ruin the cocks record!!
Was impressed with George in second half. We got a few decent looks in OT. I agreed about Alozie she does not control the ball well. If only everyone had the control Cousins does what a wonderful soccer UT world it would be.

Was impressed with George in second half. We got a few decent looks in OT. I agreed about Alozie she does not control the ball well. If only everyone had the control Cousins does what a wonderful soccer UT world it would be.

I was describing how good Katie is with the ball at her feet and I blurted out "she handles the ball with her feet like monkies handle coconuts." Her footwork and passing are unreal. Gonna miss her a lot! :)

Thats a big point on the road! The Lady Vols absolutely dominated the 2nd Half. They finally played some soccer like everyone knows they are capable of! It was really fun to watch. It seems like they play better when they are behind in the game. Wish they could start and play the entire game like they played the 2nd half. And we definitely need a finisher up top!

thanks scc...guess I should've checked...didn't know you or anyone would be on...yep, a tie with the #7 team...that is huge...are these girls finally gelling or are they just messing with us...:D

GO LADY VOLS...BEAT THE GATORS!

Thats a big point on the road! The Lady Vols absolutely dominated the 2nd Half. They finally played some soccer like everyone knows they are capable of! It was really fun to watch. It seems like they play better when they are behind in the game. Wish they could start and play the entire game like they played the 2nd half. And we definitely need a finisher up top!

I agree. In the second half, it was like somebody flipped a switch from passive to aggressive. I loved the way we pressed SC in their end and kept constant pressure on their playmakers defensively. We also did an excellent job pressing our advantage when we had one and making good choices in getting the ball forward. The first half it seemed like we started and stayed on our heels...being purely defensive and "playing not to lose."

I too hope we can continue to play as we did in the second half and in order to make the tournament we pretty much have to. We desperately need points. We have three matches left two at home the first of which is #24 Florida. Next is a road trip to MSU and we close at home with #8 Arkansas. At this point, it looks like we need to win at least two fo the three matches if not all three. Getting to Orange Beach is going to be really tough, but we can still do it!!! :)

Last edited:

VN Store

Back