Barnes 'final chapter to be in Knoxville'!

goldvol

VolNation's Lesser Poobah
Tried to think of the best title so that it wouldnt come across as he's retiring. "The final chapter of my coaching career is going to be in Knoxville.'
What an example of an amazing hire. This is from an AP article, I got a notification on my phone, so no link. I can add it if someone wants to list the link.
"Barnes also noted how Tennessee fans were supportive early in his tenure when the team wasnt as successful"

This is exactly what I said prior to the Mississippi State game for football. Since Pruitt was hired, I was never on board, because in my mind, the best thing he could have done was to come in and year three be competing for a NC. I imagine if he had that kind of success, he would have bolted for Bama since Saban's approaching 70. But, since it's been so bad with Pruitt, and our fans have still shown up, I could imagine a similar type of outcome, should Pruitt stick around long enough to get Tennessee back to national prominence. Once he does start winning, he could have the same kind of admiration for our fans who stuck with him and showed up when times were bad. Since I know it's a ways off, I am now on board with giving Pruitt time to figure things out.

Sorry, this is great basketball news, and half of it is about football. Thanks, Coach Barnes, for all you do!

as a fanbase, we are almost in the same kind of mindset now that we used to be in for basketball, where it wasnt that big of deal if we had a down year here and there. we are just now expecting the football program to be mediocre, which may just give Pruitt enough leash to figure out how to win

and yes, I know many of you guys knew or expected this would be the outcome. For me, it's just nice to hear Coach Barnes come and say that he enjoys being here and will retire as a VOL

I’m all for giving Pruitt support but his situation is way different than Barnes. He’s a first time HC and Barnes had decades of proof that he was an elite HC, so most of the reasonable fans knew he would be successful here.

I’m all for giving Pruitt support but his situation is way different than Barnes. He’s a first time HC and Barnes had decades of proof that he was an elite HC, so most of the reasonable fans knew he would be successful here.

I don't disagree.

just glad it's worked out as well as it has...for him and us...recruiting is getting better also...what's not to like...:D

GO BIG ORANGE!

Reactions: savannahfan
Tried to think of the best title so that it wouldnt come across as he's retiring. "The final chapter of my coaching career is going to be in Knoxville.'
What an example of an amazing hire. This is from an AP article, I got a notification on my phone, so no link. I can add it if someone wants to list the link.
"Barnes also noted how Tennessee fans were supportive early in his tenure when the team wasnt as successful"

This is exactly what I said prior to the Mississippi State game for football. Since Pruitt was hired, I was never on board, because in my mind, the best thing he could have done was to come in and year three be competing for a NC. I imagine if he had that kind of success, he would have bolted for Bama since Saban's approaching 70. But, since it's been so bad with Pruitt, and our fans have still shown up, I could imagine a similar type of outcome, should Pruitt stick around long enough to get Tennessee back to national prominence. Once he does start winning, he could have the same kind of admiration for our fans who stuck with him and showed up when times were bad. Since I know it's a ways off, I am now on board with giving Pruitt time to figure things out.

Sorry, this is great basketball news, and half of it is about football. Thanks, Coach Barnes, for all you do!

You described my EXACT thought process re: Pruitt. There was a feeling that if he wins, we lose him, if he fails, well, we fail. So it kinda felt like a lose-lose, other than the fact that he'd be leaving the program in better shape if he left. But this year, I've been thinking if he lifts this program from the depth to compete, it would be HIS program and he's seen this fan base stick with it from the bottom, so he'll want to stick it out.

I kinda felt like I was the only one thinking this. Glad to hear you say it.

Also, if he does bring us back to prominence (I actually think he very well could, given time), I'd kinda like to see him beat Bama, then take a dig at them. Even if it's subtle, that group is so sensitive, they'd hold it against him and wouldn't want to hire him later.

Reactions: goldvol
You described my EXACT thought process re: Pruitt. There was a feeling that if he wins, we lose him, if he fails, well, we fail. So it kinda felt like a lose-lose, other than the fact that he'd be leaving the program in better shape if he left. But this year, I've been thinking if he lifts this program from the depth to compete, it would be HIS program and he's seen this fan base stick with it from the bottom, so he'll want to stick it out.

I kinda felt like I was the only one thinking this. Glad to hear you say it.

Also, if he does bring us back to prominence (I actually think he very well could, given time), I'd kinda like to see him beat Bama, then take a dig at them. Even if it's subtle, that group is so sensitive, they'd hold it against him and wouldn't want to hire him later.
Swinney is heir to the thrown at Bama if he wants it. And they'd sell the state to get him.

VN Store

Back