Preseason SEC Poll - TN picked 6th

Tennessee finished 8th last season, and have since lost the head coach, leading scorer and 3 starters from last season's team. I think this ranking is more of a "Show Me" ranking than a declaration of how good the team will be. They just don't know at this stage of the season, what the team will look like....

I kinda figured them to be ranked in the top 5 at best. Everyone has been saying USC, MSU, and TAMU for a while now, and I knew about Arkansas - they had a very strong season last season, and return a lot of their team. I forgot about Kentucky - I guess Mitchell has gotten past that ugly phase of players transferring out of the program a few years back.....

good read and by me, right!

I forgot about Kentucky - I guess Mitchell has gotten past that ugly phase of players transferring out of the program a few years back.....

Kentucky lost a lot from last year too, with their Murray, Morris and Rice. I'm surprised they are picked this high, unless they are predicting Howard to completely carry the team.

Kentucky lost a lot from last year too, with their Murray, Morris and Rice. I'm surprised they are picked this high, unless they are predicting Howard to completely carry the team.

The #1 point guard (Patterson) is now eligible! And instead of everybody transferring out .... he has a boat load of transfers coming in ! His recruits lately Green from Kentucky and the Tennessee girls Howard and KiKi . Now he has the point guard who can shoot threes and a good supporting cast . We play them early which maybe good for them since we have a lot of new pieces ?

The #1 point guard (Patterson) is now eligible! And instead of everybody transferring out .... he has a boat load of transfers coming in ! His recruits lately Green from Kentucky and the Tennessee girls Howard and KiKi . Now he has the point guard who can shoot threes and a good supporting cast . We play them early which maybe good for them since we have a lot of new pieces ?

I don't think Patterson is eligible until 2nd semester. Outside of Howard, he has no proven players. Their post game will be especially weak, with no size, scoring or rebounding.

I'd be amazed if UK stays in the top half of the SEC standings, and if they do, Mitchell deserves a raise!

Reactions: mlindsay
I don't think Patterson is eligible until 2nd semester. Outside of Howard, he has no proven players. Their post game will be especially weak, with no size, scoring or rebounding.

I'd be amazed if UK stays in the top half of the SEC standings, and if they do, Mitchell deserves a raise!

We play Kentucky January 5th at Kentucky! I think we will see more of Patterson than anyone will want to .... At least we won’t see them again till SEC tournament.

Expectations are certainly higher over the last season even though we lost two players to transfer an excellent freshman class coming in. I think 12 and 4 or 11 and 5 in the SEC is about where we should finish. SC, MIss St, and Texas A&M all should be pre-season top 15 teams. After those three four or five teams that could take the fourth spot. I think we have the best talent of those teams, but the schedule is not that kind we play both Arkansas and Kentucky on the road games will probably be nail biters hopefully we don't lose both like last season when we had them at home. I thought when looking at the SEC schedule we could go 5 and 3 road and 8 and 1 home. We may not do that well. 11 and 5 should be the expectation anything less would be a disappointment.

Missouri win
at Kentucky tossup
at Ole Miss win
Georgia win
at Florida win
Alabama win
LSU win
at Vanderbilt win
at South Carolina loss
Mississippi State tossup
at LSU tossup
Texas A&M tossup
at Arkansas tossup
Vanderbilt win
Ole Miss win
at Auburn tossup

So 9 probable wins 1 probable loss and then 6 games that I think could go either way. If we go 3 and 3 in those game 12 and 4 and 2 and 4 11 and 5 I think doing worse would be huge disappointment. I know some may think that Texas A&M and Miss St two home games will be losses but I'm not counting us out in either on our home court.

Reactions: lvocd
What it all comes down to is a question of whether everyone we’ve gained over last season can outperform everyone we lost from last season.

Will the addition of Brown, Horston, Key, McCoy, Rennie, Saunders and HARPER be enough to reverse the outcomes of some of last year’s losses which Westbrook, Jackson, Green, Collins and Warlick were a part of?

What it all comes down to is a question of whether everyone we’ve gained over last season can outperform everyone we lost from last season.

Will the addition of Brown, Horston, Key, McCoy, Rennie, Saunders and HARPER be enough to reverse the outcomes of some of last year’s losses which Westbrook, Jackson, Green, Collins and Warlick were a part of?

You had me through Collins...

Trust Me !
Well, no.

I thought I asked a reasonable question. How will you measure “Hold her own”? Points per game, rebounding per game, minutes per game, fouls committed? Or just your “expert” opinion?

I think people are putting Too much emphasis on the lose of Collins. Sure she scored points but she gave up just about the same amount. I think the lose of Cheridene who was a known rebounder will be a bit more difficult for the LVs to recover from.

Well, no.

I thought I asked a reasonable question. How will you measure “Hold her own”? Points per game, rebounding per game, minutes per game, fouls committed? Or just your “expert” opinion?

immediate impact mark it down. As i said before other then C.Green and she was a under size 5 we had no post player that could score or defend at that position. And to be fair about it Key don`t need to score 20-25 pts a game. Let me be clear Key is no liability.

immediate impact mark it down. As i said before other then C.Green and she was a under size 5 we had no post player that could score or defend at that position. And to be fair about it Key don`t need to score 20-25 pts a game. Let me be clear Key is no liability.
So, basically, you will know it when you see it.

How about this, over or under?

Minutes per game - 20
Points per game - 10
Rebounds per game - 6

Reactions: Will83
So, basically, you will know it when you see it.

How about this, over or under?

Minutes per game - 20
Points per game - 10
Rebounds per game - 6

Rebounds 8-10 and remember she is a very good shot blocker something we have missed for a very long time.

Rebounds 8-10 and remember she is a very good shot blocker something we have missed for a very long time.
So, I was interested in actually seeing her in action after seeing how impressed you are with her. I checked out several videos.

She is big. Really big. But I didn’t see her run the court once. Last one down the court after a rebound. Always jogging. She is really really slow. The speed of the college game is going to be a challenge for her. And with lack of speed and inexperience staying out of foul trouble will be difficult.

8-10 rebounds. Per game? I’ll take that bet.

So, I was interested in actually seeing her in action after seeing how impressed you are with her. I checked out several videos.

She is big. Really big. But I didn’t see her run the court once. Last one down the court after a rebound. Always jogging. She is really really slow. The speed of the college game is going to be a challenge for her. And with lack of speed and inexperience staying out of foul trouble will be difficult.

She is not slow trust me forget that video. just wait until the season start then make your judgment.

For a Connecticut fan, you sure are obsessing over Key a lot!

Which video did you watch?

I typed in her name, clicked n videos and watched a few. I’d love to see others if it shows my impression was wrong.

Yea they are some that show mobility improvement after her injury(ies) her footwork has gotten better also. I can’t link them but I think they are on her huddle page

Yea they are some that show mobility improvement after her injury(ies) her footwork has gotten better also. I can’t link them but I think they are on her huddle page

Thanks. I found her Maxprep page and it has several million re current videos. I was look8ng at 2017 play.

Tamari Key | Cary HS, Cary, NC | MaxPreps

She slimmed down some and looked a little quicker. I’ll only have one “really” when talking abo7t how slow she is.

She still never ran the court. Quick posts are going to give her trouble. Will she get more time than KK?

Last edited:
I just like to discuss basketball. Sorry. Didn’t mean t annoy you.

3dinp0.jpg

Thanks. I found her Maxprep page and it has several million re current videos. I was look8ng at 2017 play.

Tamari Key | Cary HS, Cary, NC | MaxPreps

She slimmed down some and looked a little quicker. I’ll only have one “really” when talking abo7t how slow she is.

She still never ran the court. Quick posts are going to give her trouble. Will she get more time than KK?

I would say no because of experience at first but she might split at the 5 with KK. KK is def a physical post and if she is in shape (which from some pix she looks to have gotten into better shape). Key might play a relief role. The thing is you can teach her HOW to run the floor a lot of my taller runners don’t trust there bodies to go for it but it can be taught. If Kellie still believes in the “Post Highway” that CPS preaches then Key will get the memo soon.

Reactions: lvocd

VN Store

Back