Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Speaking of Connecticut, Auriemma is probably ALREADY preparing to play Tennessee in practice. :p I know he says that Tennessee “is just another team” to them now, but I guarantee you that, of all the games on the CT schedule this season, he wants his team to kick butt the MOST against the Lady Vols. He may try to play it down publicly, but whether they realize it or not, his players will probably start specifically preparing to beat Tennessee very soon.

Remember back in day when his players used to admit that nearly every practice, all season long, he was reminding them that “if we’re going to beat Tennessee we need to....” ? Well, I doubt he’ll be saying that out loud every day, but it won’t be too far from his mind. Guaranteed.
F68DD7F1-6525-4AAA-90F0-178BC52027BA.jpeg

Reactions: RollerVol
it’ll definitely be a sell-out in Hartford. The last few times the two teams met Tennessee came out the winner, so if there are any CT fans left who remember those days they are going to want to turn out to see what will likely be a satisfying beatdown for them.

But that’s okay as long as the Lady Vols play hard and show a competitive spirit. They’ll eventually get back to giving CT hell!

Interesting that the best schedule ever lists Tennessee as one of the teams that makes the schedule (best ever) That lowly Tennessee team that’s just a regular team now ! 😈
Also interesting is that you can get UConn season tickets starting at $80. How much do they also have to donate to the athletic department? 🤔

Edit: That schedule would make a great FF... ND vs UT and Duck Dynasty vs Baylor. Meet y'all in the finals. 👍

Last edited:
Reactions: mlindsay
I'm definitely gonna make the 2021 UConn game in Knoxville. Fun little vacation, straight shot down 81. The upcoming January game... I'd love to attend but I'd rather die than drive through the tri-state, ugh.

Reactions: T.J.
it’ll definitely be a sell-out in Hartford. The last few times the two teams met Tennessee came out the winner, so if there are any CT fans left who remember those days they are going to want to turn out to see what will likely be a satisfying beatdown for them.

But that’s okay as long as the Lady Vols play hard and show a competitive spirit. They’ll eventually get back to giving CT hell!
personally, I wouldn't be the least surprised if the LVs were to beat the ConnDogs this year

personally, I wouldn't be the least surprised if the LVs were to beat the ConnDogs this year

I like your spirit, but in a year when on our entire squad is having to learn/re-learn everything that has ANYthing to do with Lady Vol Basketball, that’s a pretty tall order. Even in supposed “down years” the Connecticut Basketball Borg is usually well-oiled enough to finish in the top five and get to the Final Four.

Frankly, I’ll be happy if Tennessee could give them a respectable half.

All about being committed to playing defense. Granted UConn has some players that are hard to guard, but our entire season of improvement will be based on how much these players improve their defensive play. If you have a team that can defend at a high level and are athletic enough which I believe we are you can at least stay in the game. Some of our defensive matchups with Holly were really terrible hoping Kellie has a better understanding of who can guard who and also assignments in a zone. We were easy to get out of position in the zone last season for to many open shots.

All about being committed to playing defense. Granted UConn has some players that are hard to guard, but our entire season of improvement will be based on how much these players improve their defensive play. If you have a team that can defend at a high level and are athletic enough which I believe we are you can at least stay in the game. Some of our defensive matchups with Holly were really terrible hoping Kellie has a better understanding of who can guard who and also assignments in a zone. We were easy to get out of position in the zone last season for to many open shots.

Offense wins games, defense wins championships

The thing that makes good defense so important is that if you can consistently disrupt an opponent's normally-smooth offense, you have the power to demoralize them and plant seeds of doubt in their minds that they will be able to win. If you can stay on them, relentlessly pestering them and not showing signs of fatigue and making them doubt themselves, that's the most important key to beating them. Conditioning has to be excellent to have that kind of power.

The thing that makes good defense so important is that if you can consistently disrupt an opponent's normally-smooth offense, you have the power to demoralize them and plant seeds of doubt in their minds that they will be able to win. If you can stay on them, relentlessly pestering them and not showing signs of fatigue and making them doubt themselves, that's the most important key to beating them. Conditioning has to be excellent to have that kind of power.

A timely defensive stop can give you another chance, yes, but a timely shot can win a game.
It takes equal commitment to both facets.

A timely defensive stop can give you another chance, yes, but a timely shot can win a game.
It takes equal commitment to both facets.

Of course! I hope and pray that Kellie is able to install a successful offense this season. But, even when the shots aren’t falling — and face it, sometimes they just don’t — EVERY player has the power to be disruptive on every single play if she’s willing to exert the energy. And that level of commitment can crush an opponent’s spirit. The thing is, that’s really, really hard to do for more than brief periods. It takes a level of competitiveness and, yes, GUTS to push through the pain that noone’s been able to get out of a Lady Vol team in a very long time.

Our players will need to work on their own time to build the level of stamina that it will take to win championships again.

Bear said "Offense sells tickets. Defense wins championships"
My version is different.
"Offense wins games, defense wins championships "
Winning games wins championships so your statement, "Offense wins games, defense wins championships," is illogical.

Winning games wins championships so your statement, "Offense wins games, defense wins championships," is illogical.

Winning games only wins championships if the game you're playing is a championship game otherwise winning games just puts you in position to play for the championship

Reactions: 1reVOLver
Bear said "Offense sells tickets. Defense wins championships"
My version is different.
"Offense wins games, defense wins championships "
hD56ADB86

Reactions: Darth_Vol

VN Store

Back