End of Season QB Transfer?

If Bailey were to redshirt then Maurer would be in his third season before any decisions would have to be made. If Maurer’s as good as you and Little keep selling then declaring for the draft becomes a possibility. Bailey seems the type to feel confident in making your boy sit, but it could be a matter of a year.
I think that confidence is in question tbh. Wasn’t long after the game the report of official visits came out. Regardless of the reasons why I don’t feel it’s “running” from competition. Like I’ve said before, they are too close in class and one of them will have a decision to make after 2020 because of it.

Bailey is more than capable of beating out Maurer. I expect him to
And you know that simply because he's a very good HS player? Maurer has a shot to establish himself and improve a lot this year. If he does... it will be very difficult for HB to win the job barring an injury.

Reactions: Titan05
I wasn’t referring to only him. The kid just went out and put an egg on the faces of everyone that doubted him and yet after throwing for over 250 yards on arguably the best defense in college football he’s still “below” HB? I just don’t get.
But people who think that Bailey is better are “obsessed”. I didn’t buy Maurer was great and just take yours and Little’s word for it...still haven’t. He’s shown something and I look forward to see IF he can keep advancing with some tape on him. I have the same philosophy towards Bailey. There’s nothing to declare without a stage. You make some good points but you have obvious bias and sometimes it ratchets up to kindergarten levels. I advocated for JG to get his full shot and he failed. Now I pass that on to other candidates by not ruling them out...works for me. Inside yourself, you KNOW that Maurer is this star that will outshine any challengers. Why can’t that be enough for you until reality catches up?

Reactions: GVol1966
But people who think that Bailey is better are “obsessed”. I didn’t buy Maurer was great and just take yours and Little’s word for it...still haven’t. He’s shown something and I look forward to see IF he can keep advancing with some tape on him. I have the same philosophy towards Bailey. There’s nothing to declare without a stage. You make some good points but you have obvious bias and sometimes it ratchets up to kindergarten levels. I advocated for JG to get his full shot and he failed. Now I pass that on to other candidates by not ruling them out...works for me. Inside yourself, you KNOW that Maurer is this star that will outshine any challengers. Why can’t that be enough for you until reality catches up?
Look man. I haven’t gotten on here saying “I told you so”. I wouldn’t do that because things can change, but I know what I’ve seen for years and it was just that. Just because there are some that want to argue what I know to be fact doesn’t exclude those facts. Now you are 100% correct.... anything can happen. Bailey may come in and win the job. Should that happen Maurer will transfer or vise versa. But My stance from watching them both is based on facts from watching them both perform under pressure. Something few if any can say on this board. So my “bias” as you call it is warranted and the numbers support my claims.

Truth is it doesn’t matter to me. If Bailey gets the job or Maurer or neither. They both will go on to be successful in this league weather that’s here or somewhere else. Saying that HB isn’t as talented as BM doesn’t mean he’s not talented. It’s not a claim he’s not good enough to be UTs starting QB. It’s simply saying that those that STILL doubt BM still don’t know what we have in him.

Look man. I haven’t gotten on here saying “I told you so”. I wouldn’t do that because things can change, but I know what I’ve seen for years and it was just that. Just because there are some that want to argue what I know to be fact doesn’t exclude those facts. Now you are 100% correct.... anything can happen. Bailey may come in and win the job. Should that happen Maurer will transfer or vise versa. But My stance from watching them both is based on facts from watching them both perform under pressure. Something few if any can say on this board. So my “bias” as you call it is warranted and the numbers support my claims.

Truth is it doesn’t matter to me. If Bailey gets the job or Maurer or neither. They both will go on to be successful in this league weather that’s here or somewhere else. Saying that HB isn’t as talented as BM doesn’t mean he’s not talented. It’s not a claim he’s not good enough to be UTs starting QB. It’s simply saying that those that STILL doubt BM still don’t know what we have in him.
Bolded makes me second guess my belief that you know a lot about football. No one who does would make such a declarative statement. Lot to like in his first start and I’ve posted such in multiple threads...but it’s an EXTREMELY short sample! DOUBTS are in no way ruled null and void based on one game. In a cognizant moment, even yourself would have to admit that there’s a lot of improvements that need to happen before he’s stamped a PROVEN product. I’ve never declared Bailey a “better talent” because no one KNOWS that...and the inverse is also unproven. Crawl, walk and then run...Coach!

Bolded makes me second guess my belief that you know a lot about football. No one who does would make such a declarative statement. Lot to like in his first start and I’ve posted such in multiple threads...but it’s an EXTREMELY short sample! DOUBTS are in no way ruled null and void based on one game. In a cognizant moment, even yourself would have to admit that there’s a lot of improvements that need to happen before he’s stamped a PROVEN product. I’ve never declared Bailey a “better talent” because no one KNOWS that...and the inverse is also unproven. Crawl, walk and then run...Coach!
I know this game like the back of my hand. I’m am and have been an avid student of the game for a very long time. Especially at the qb position. So no need to question my knowledge.

I’ve seen you go to bat recently for him when someone questioned his arm strength. I can see you have no bias. That’s the way it should be tbh. You live in Dallas so there’s no way for you to know any more than highlight videos and hype outside of what you’ve seen just as most anyone else. Which is admittedly very little. But just as you defended him against false claims so have I. So truth be told we are no different in our approach. The only difference is I lived in his area, now just happen to live in HBs area. That being true I’m just armed with more facts than you so it may come off as biased because I’ve literally seen the differences in them.

I know this game like the back of my hand. I’m am and have been an avid student of the game for a very long time. Especially at the qb position. So no need to question my knowledge.

I’ve seen you go to bat recently for him when someone questioned his arm strength. I can see you have no bias. That’s the way it should be tbh. You live in Dallas so there’s no way for you to know any more than highlight videos and hype outside of what you’ve seen just as most anyone else. Which is admittedly very little. But just as you defended him against false claims so have I. So truth be told we are no different in our approach. The only difference is I lived in his area, now just happen to live in HBs area. That being true I’m just armed with more facts than you so it may come off as biased because I’ve literally seen the differences in them.
Your OPINION is never going to pass as established FACT...strongly worded as it may be. Sometimes you have to let facts HAPPEN in their own time.

Last edited:

I'm not getting in that argument, but your first paragraph sounds like someone else reincarnated😄

Ok. First, it would leave us with Maurer, Bailey and Hill if the other 2 guys transfer. How many backup qb's do you want? And how many do you want to stick around just to be backups their entire career? It's the nature of the beast at this position. QB's transfer out of programs across the country every year for P.T. somewhere else. As long as the best one stays, who cares?

I don't know, you need a good clipboard caddy. It worked out well for Jim Bob Cooter.

One thing these past seasons have taught me just because he's the best option right now doesn't mean he'll be next year. With that said I believe UT heads into the spring with an open QB competition.

I'm not getting in that argument, but your first paragraph sounds like someone else reincarnated😄
I’ve heard it before. “D4H”. It’s an old worn out insult. Lord forbid someone attack someone’s knowledge of the game and someone defends themselves with facts pertinent to the conversation. Good thing no one knows what I do for a living huh?

I’ve heard it before. “D4H”. It’s an old worn out insult. Lord forbid someone attack someone’s knowledge of the game and someone defends themselves with facts pertinent to the conversation. Good thing no one knows what I do for a living huh?
You’ve stated (multiple times) that you’re a QB coach. This isn’t about KNOWLEDGE. You’ve assessed two different players and gone all in on one. Professional background or no...it’s an opinion. Once upon a time, Bill Walsh (decently regarded NFL evaluator) declared Jake Plummer the next great QB over new talents including Peyton Manning. Scouted him and everything. True story.

You’ve stated (multiple times) that you’re a QB coach. This isn’t about KNOWLEDGE. You’ve assessed two different players and gone all in on one. Professional background or no...it’s an opinion. Once upon a time, Bill Walsh (decently regarded NFL evaluator) declared Jake Plummer the next great QB over new talents including Peyton Manning. Scouted him and everything. True story.
It’s come up very few times and I can only remember 2 people that were respectful enough about it to warrant an answer. Littlevol and Behr. So it’s been said twice in my memory.
But yes, this particular part of the conversation IS about knowledge when he was responding by, once again, calling me D4H when responding back to you questioning my knowledge.
And yes that’s correct. No one gets it right 100% of the time no matter your track record.

Oh I'm not attacking you, just stating I thought it was funny because it reminded me of him. I don't care what you do, who is right, or who the qb is. I just want to win.

Reactions: 1vol8
It’s come up very few times and I can only remember 2 people that were respectful enough about it to warrant an answer. Littlevol and Behr. So it’s been said twice in my memory.
But yes, this particular part of the conversation IS about knowledge when he was responding by, once again, calling me D4H when responding back to you questioning my knowledge.
And yes that’s correct. No one gets it right 100% of the time no matter your track record.
You might end up dead right on this one...but it’s not because you KNOW it. Allz I’m saying. Highly educated opinion is an opinion.

Reactions: 1vol8
But that’s got nothing to do with this thread!
Didn’t you see his post where he said “I’ve never been wrong “.
we need to take all his assumptions as fact!! Period.

But that’s got nothing to do with this thread!
Didn’t you see his post where he said “I’ve never been wrong “.
we need to take all his assumptions as fact!! Period.
Never seen those exact words...but durn close. 😉

Just a thought. If Mauer is the starting QB the rest of the way this year, baring injury, I think that Guarantano and Shrout both may transfer to get playing time. I don't see Shrout sticking around with a younger QB starting unless he just loves Tennessee Football and want's to play second fiddle. That would leave us with only Maurer and true Freshmen Bailey plus Hill as scholarship QB's.

We might pick up a QB transfer from another school. Sounds like there will be a lot looking around.

You might end up dead right on this one...but it’s not because you KNOW it. Allz I’m saying. Highly educated opinion is an opinion.

Sorry to interject, but this is precisely why I don't want to go into next season with three relatively unproven commodities in Maurer, Bailey and hill. Pruitt is insane if he doesn't grab another transfer or JUCO guy in this class. Maurer may be the next Clausen, but he'd still be one missed block away from injury. Damn sure don't want another season without viable and somewhat proven options as backups.

Sorry to interject, but this is precisely why I don't want to go into next season with three relatively unproven commodities in Maurer, Bailey and hill. Pruitt is insane if he doesn't grab another transfer or JUCO guy in this class. Maurer may be the next Clausen, but he'd still be one missed block away from injury. Damn sure don't want another season without viable and somewhat proven options as backups.
I mentioned in another tgread, and not saying he will, but Saturday and his little time in the swamp, Maurer reminded me of Casey. He just didn't look scared at all, maybe he's got the grit we need.

Reactions: LittleVol
We might pick up a QB transfer from another school. Sounds like there will be a lot looking around.

We already did pick up one transfer.
We'll still recruit another QB on this cycle 2020. And don't count out one of the preferred walk-on earning a scholarship. 2 of those guys had FBS offers.

You need at least 2 good QBs.

VN Store

Back