Looks like Tony Robinson was exactly right.

Clausen played like garbage in the swamp 2001. Without him we get completely destroyed. The QB isnt everything.

UT destroyed UF in the trenches that night, and Clausen was the perfect game manager supported by an elite running attack and dominant defensive line.

Clausen got little help from Witten, who played the worst game I’ve ever seen him play in college or the NFL.

Clausen deserves more credit for 2001 than you’re giving him.

Last edited:
You’ve lost your mind.
The QB is everything.
Where is Butch Jones without josh Dobbs?
Every player on the team must do their job. I agree that a very good QB is a very important position, but we need 22 quality on both sides of the ball as well as at least 2 for every Special Team's positions. We have a long way to go to achieve that level of talent. Teams like Alabama, Georgis, and LSU are three deep with high talent players. The younger ones are willing to wait their turn to play when they are more mature and experienced with practicing against the more senior players. The machine just keeps on pumping out very talented replacements. It takes time to develop such a potent roster.

Reactions: Lawrence Wright
Every player on the team must do their job. I agree that a very good QB is a very important position, but we need 22 quality on both sides of the ball as well as at least 2 for every Special Team's positions. We have a long way to go to achieve that level of talent. Teams like Alabama, Georgis, and LSU are three deep with high talent players. The younger ones are willing to wait their turn to play when they are more mature and experienced with practicing against the more senior players. The machine just keeps on pumping out very talented replacements. It takes time to develop such a potent roster.

I don’t disagree with anything you said here.
My point is to confidence. Watch the replay of JG missing a wide open TD vs Florida. Like nobody else in the picture wide open. You could see the energy leave the team. They knew at that moment that there was nothing the rest of the team could do to overcome his inability.
We don’t have to have great qb play if everyone else is good. But if everyone is average and the qb is below average......then it looks like Tennessee football with JG at qb

I don't see how some can discount the value of a great leader. When your leader fails (throws behind, misses open receivers, mopes) that gets old and can impact your mindset. The fact that these guys looked more energized by Maurer tells me they want to find someone to rally behind.

JG was extremely disappointing when he couldn't toss a 5 yard TD pass at the end of the game to make the score more respectable. Game was much closer than the score. Mauer deserves to play. Bye Felicia.

Some like to argue these Football players "aren't kids", I guess it depends on how you look at it. When I was their age I was very motivated and had a good work ethic, but I was immature in some ways and benefited from some really good direction.

At that age especially, good leadership made a difference and was invaluable.

Exactly. The only person who is unaffected by leadership is the underachiever who wouldn't have reached his potential anyway.

There are too many to count - literally millions - who, despite poor leadership, be it parents, teachers, military officers, whatever, have done quite remarkably, in a good way.
There are also quite literally millions who, despite "great leadership," well, they didn't turn out so well.
I'm not disagreeing with you in entirety; but rather, asking if you intended to broad-brush your remarks, or are you saying that, for better or worse, leadership is the sole contributor to the finished product?
Good quarterbacks are most-often good leaders (at least, during game/practice time) we all get that. In fact, several outstanding quarterbacks would've been better served with quality leadership, which is to say, Coaching, and Management. Peyton's and Eli's papa comes to mind as someone who might have seen some benefit from better leadership; but I'd wager Archie certainly reached his potential, regardless of his Won-Loss numbers.
Again, not trying to argue your point, but question whether it applies as widely, or as generalized as you portrayed it.

The fact it took our arrogant coach like 15 JG starts to see he is not even a serviceable QB is alarming. It was obvious after his first snap that Maurer is a better QB than JG. Keller And Tony Robinson was correct when he said Keller Chryst was the better QB.

It is ironic that when Dobbs took over for Worley that the holdback was they kept saying he wasn't ready and didn't practice as good as Worley. Transition to now and we heard the same things about Mauer. Now I am a believer in practice and in general the rule if you practice well you play well. But there is a limit to that, some guys just don't practice as good as they play when the lights come on. Once they prove they can do it in the game you play them, it's not like Mauer doesn't try in practice that would be another thing. Some just play better in games, while some PRACTICE great and can never take it to the field. See JG! GBO!!!!! VFL!!!!!

He has been saying for almost a year that the players didn't like JG and didn't like playing with him so they didn't play hard for him. He said he could see it in the way the players acted on the field and that JG just didn't inspire the team at all. Looks like a different team with Mauer.

“There’s no doubt, the first two games, Jarrett didn’t play as good as he’s capable of playing,” Pruitt said after the Vols’ practice Wednesday afternoon. “I’ve seen him. I’ve seen him at his best, and when he’s on, he’s pretty good." << CJP on JG

"pretty good" ??????

VS

I am not surprised by his performance,” Callaway said. “He does this all the time in practice.” << I trust Callaway on this one.

It's OBVIOUS to me, that the receivers prefer BM (and if I'm mistaken, then so be it).

Exactly. The only person who is unaffected by leadership is the underachiever who wouldn't have reached his potential anyway.

Case in point...
I'll leave at this point but don't let affect you self injected mastery of all things known to man.

Everyone else has done there job too.
If the QB isn’t capable of doing his everyone else is irrelevant
it is beyond weak to put the blame of others not doing their jobs on one person. did u even play sports? that is a really weak thing to even suggest.

it is beyond weak to put the blame of others not doing their jobs on one person. did u even play sports? that is a really weak thing to even suggest.

It’s how life works.
If the leader fails everyone fails.
If the GM of a restaurant consistently makes bad decisions then it doesn’t matter how good everyone else does. The restaurant will go broke. If the coaches consistently make bad decisions it doesn’t matter how good everyone else does they won’t win.

If your QB consistently misses wide open receivers and is always late on throws....is consistent in his inability to run the offense then you’re not going to win.

And it’s moronic to suggest otherwise

It’s how life works.
If the leader fails everyone fails.
If the GM of a restaurant consistently makes bad decisions then it doesn’t matter how good everyone else does. The restaurant will go broke. If the coaches consistently make bad decisions it doesn’t matter how good everyone else does they won’t win.

If your QB consistently misses wide open receivers and is always late on throws....is consistent in his inability to run the offense then you’re not going to win.

And it’s moronic to suggest otherwise
in this case would be the head coach, not the qb. and that still wouldn't stop hard workers from working hard. the defnse doesnt suck because the qb does. yeah, i can tell you're just a fan of sports and never really played.

in this case would be the head coach, not the qb. and that still wouldn't stop hard workers from working hard. the defnse doesnt suck because the qb does. yeah, i can tell you're just a fan of sports and never really played.

The qb is the on field general.

@Roustabout

You wanna explain to this nitwit what you’ve witnessed from me in sports

The entire team played like garbage in game 1. You dont pull last years starter after the 1st game. Put him in after half time at BYU, maybe, but that doesnt mean he wont make multiple mistakes in his 1st action and they still lose. Then he starts the Florida game and it goes similar to how Florida treated Auburn. The entire team is still bad. They're playinf much better, but its harder to tell because the competition continues to improve.
Agree, you don’t start BM, but you also don’t shut down the QB competition before the season even starts either. Hell, everybody played in the Georgia State game except the water boy and the back up QBs. Heck, a guy that was in The transfer portal and didn’t even go through fall camp played significant minutes. They were rotating linemen like crazy.

Reactions: Orangeslice13
Clausen played like garbage in the swamp 2001. Without him we get completely destroyed. The QB isnt everything.

Clausen....one of the most underrated qbs we've had in Knoxville. Kid was a baller. One of my favorites. Really hope Maurer turns out to be just like him.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain

VN Store

Back