Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if many noticed, but Trevor Daniel got cut by the Texans. He beat Anger during camp (again) this season. Averaged 40yds per punt in the Week 3 game. Didn't have a bad, but also not a stellar night. Cut him the next day and brought Anger back.

I feel bad for him (I grew up with him and his wife). His wife is due any day now, too.
That sucks. Is Anger cheaper or something? Or is he just that much entrenched with the organization?

Reactions: SoilVol
I missed the game on Saturday. Honest opinions is Maurer good? He’s got arm tats so thats a good thing in my book. He’s baby-faced and very skinny though, but so are most frosh QBs.

The jury is still out I think. He seemed well poised and only put the ball in harms way once which bit him but he's going to make freshman mistakes.. He is definitely a breath of fresh air compared to what we've had the first four games. He's trying to lead too. First man out of the tunnel, up front and center at the Vol walk. Big thing for me was when he threw that bomb to Callaway, as soon as it left his hand, he was sprinting down the field to celebrate with his guys instead of jogging over to the sideline.

That sucks. Is Anger cheaper or something? Or is he just that much entrenched with the organization?

Don't think he's cheaper. He is older, and I think the NFL has a sliding scale for pay and older players get paid more (even at the minimum). Anger also had played for the Bucs before the Texans and had signed a multi-million dollar contract with them.

MSU Insider Brian Hadad:

"Absolutely 100% hands down Saturday is a must-win for this team.
-----
All 8 suspended players will play. I'm interested to see what this defense really looks like with the added depth and upperclassmen out there.
-----
I am interested to see who starts, but I expect it to be Shrader.
-----
Tennessee is not playing as good as Arkansas, but they are a more talented team. Having every guy back for this game is more important than against Arkansas."

The articles I've read are that O'Brien is very unforgiving. If you have a bad day and he feels like it cost his team, he will consider cutting you if he needs to. Didn't have anything to do with money. If Anger slips up, I suspect Trevor gets a call, but Anger has been in the league this long because he's consistent.

well i did jinx us by attending the GA state game. still havent won a game ive been to in knoxville. good news is i wont be at another game
Well if @Atlanta VOL picks me up from Jax on his fancy private plane with tickets in a suite for me and three others, we will win. I was there in 2016 for Florida and in athens the next week... and in atlanta for GT.. so... your move boosters. Wanna win or nah?

in immortal words of owner of C&C Auto in Maynardville TN, 'Aw Day Lawng!'
Hes good people. From up around Cracker Neck.
He's actually the inspiration for my user name. I would like to have used the name of John Bean's alter-ego, but he uses two different names on the two calls he makes to C&C (Roy Mullins on the first call, and Sid Arnwine on the second call).

Chuckie's got some great lines on both calls, but if I had to pick my favorite, it's from the second call after "Sid" tells him about how his brother "whooped a boy over here in Burlington just last Friday, and I seen it." Chuckie replies, "I don't give a sh!t if he whooped twenty-fiiiiiive over 'thar in Burlington, if you wanna come up here and start some sh!t, come on."

I missed the game on Saturday. Honest opinions is Maurer good? He’s got arm tats so thats a good thing in my book. He’s baby-faced and very skinny though, but so are most frosh QBs.
Mostly positives, some bad. But I thought the negatives were things that are very fixable.

RPO decisions, not panicking when the 1st read wasn't there, calling out blitzes, etc will come with practice and experience and getting more comfortable.

The biggest thing he has over JG is no mental block on his “trigger.”

Receiver is kind of open? Sling it in there.

Reactions: engineerVOL
MSU Insider Brian Hadad:

"Absolutely 100% hands down Saturday is a must-win for this team.
-----
All 8 suspended players will play. I'm interested to see what this defense really looks like with the added depth and upperclassmen out there.
-----
I am interested to see who starts, but I expect it to be Shrader.
-----
Tennessee is not playing as good as Arkansas, but they are a more talented team. Having every guy back for this game is more important than against Arkansas."
Of course their going to be back in time against us.

Well if @Atlanta VOL picks me up from Jax on his fancy private plane with tickets in a suite for me and three others, we will win. I was there in 2016 for Florida and in athens the next week... and in atlanta for GT.. so... your move boosters. Wanna win or nah?

Worth a shot. Maybe i should just go for the first half of games

Here are some quick observations from 10 open minutes of practice…

Offensive tackle Jahmir Johnson was back at practice Tuesday and taking reps. It’s the first time we’ve seen Johnson go through drills in a couple weeks. We should know more about his availability tomorrow night. K’Rojhn Calbert, who was dinged up Saturday, was also participating in practice. Starting right guard Riley Locklear, who “got his bell rung,” per Jeremy Pruitt, had a helmet on and was watching practice but didn’t go through any drills. The Vols repped multiple guys at right guard including Ryan Johnson and Chris Akporghene. Will Friend was pleased with the effort and power from the freshman.

Elsewhere, despite Pruitt saying otherwise Monday, Tennessee did make a noteworthy move at inside linebacker today. Quavaris Crouch was shadowing Henry To’oto’o and Daniel Bituli as the second-team inside ‘backer. Crouch worked inside all spring before moving to outside linebacker in the fall. Crouch played more than 20 snaps opposite of Darrell Taylor against Georgia.

On the defensive line, Aubrey Solomon (knee and shoulder) was going through individual drills normally but did mostly watch full line reps, as Matthew Butler, Greg Emerson and Latrell Bumphus were with the 1s.

In other position moves, Princeton Fant was working at receiver Tuesday. The Vols looked to be down a pair of wideouts Tuesday, as I did not see freshman Jerrod Means or Brandon Johnson at practice.

The routes on air period was particularly rough. Brian Maurer, who got an ear full from Jim Chaney for being too lackadaisical during mesh-point work with the tailbacks, took the first reps every time but the freshman was not sharp. At all. In a “wet ball” drill, Maurer was routinely wild, throwing wobblers and wormburners. Jarrett Guarantano wasn’t any better, eventually leading Chaney to yell at the group to pickup its efforts. Later in the drill, both guys were a bit more accurate but then the wideouts started dropping the ball. Overall, it was just a short snapshot of practice, but it was a really poor period.

Maryland transfer Kasim Hill was in a scout team jersey acting as Mississippi State quarterback Tommy Stevens, while one of the freshman walk-ons was Garrett Shrader.

Finally, as we were leaving practice, the Vols went into 11-on-11 work and Bryce Thompson and Kenneth George were the two starting cornerbacks. On the only play we saw, Marquez Callaway burned George on a double-move.
vq

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back