Vols Practice Thread Tuesday

Fingers

Freshman Quavaris Crouch was working with the inside linebackers during today’s open period.
OT Jahmir Johnson looked like a full participant in position drills during today's open period.
Ubben

-QB Brian Maurer was running first in drills -Quavaris Crouch was taking reps with ILB (position of need) -OL Jahmir Johnson was back practicing from what we saw.
g.henley

Looked like all the injured guys from Saturday night (Solomon, Burrell, Calbert and Wright) were going through reps while we were out there.

Maurer was out there throwing and going through reps as if he will remain the starter.

Riley Locklear was present but still appears to be very much in the protocol, but Jahmir Johnson was doing the most we've seen him do in practice for a few weeks now.
p.brown

K’Rojhn Calbert, who was dinged up Saturday, was also participating in practice. Starting right guard Riley Locklear, who “got his bell rung,” per Jeremy Pruitt, had a helmet on and was watching practice but didn’t go through any drills.

Quavaris Crouch was shadowing Henry To’oto’o and Daniel Bituli as the second-team inside ‘backer. Crouch worked inside all spring before moving to outside linebacker in the fall. Crouch played more than 20 snaps opposite of Darrell Taylor against Georgia.

On the defensive line, Aubrey Solomon (knee and shoulder) was going through individual drills normally but did mostly watch full line reps, as Matthew Butler, Greg Emerson and Latrell Bumphus were with the 1s.

The Vols looked to be down a pair of wideouts Tuesday, as I did not see freshman Jerrod Means or Brandon Johnson at practice.

The routes on air period was particularly rough. Brian Maurer, who got an ear full from Jim Chaney for being too lackadaisical during mesh-point work with the tailbacks, took the first reps every time but the freshman was not sharp. At all. In a “wet ball” drill, Maurer was routinely wild, throwing wobblers and wormburners. Jarrett Guarantano wasn’t any better, eventually leading Chaney to yell at the group to pickup its efforts. Later in the drill, both guys were a bit more accurate but then the wideouts started dropping the ball. Overall, it was just a short snapshot of practice, but it was a really poor period.
j.simonton

Brian Maurer sure looked to be carrying himself like he's going to be Tennessee's starting quarterback this week and beyond. Though he had his No. 18 jersey rolled up to expose his rib protector, Maurer didn't noticeably show any lingering effects of the big hit he took in the fourth quarter against Georgia. He threw the ball normally and went through drills as if he's fully healthy or close to it.

Maurer did provide a reminder he's a freshman during Tuesday's drills when he threw a pass in routes-on-air and offensive coordinator Jim Chaney asked him what the playcall was. Maurer told Chaney was the route was, and Chaney said he already knew what the route was and asked again what the play was. Maurer replied by slowly shrugging.

Freshman Chris Akporoghene is another player who's gotten healthy recently, and he made his debut in the fourth quarter at right guard against Georgia. You can see why the Vols are excited about the 6-foot-3, 296-pounder when watching him go through drills. He's got a sturdy base for a guard and brings an audible power and pop to individual drills.

Freshman cornerback Warren Burrell missed the Georgia game with an ankle injury, but he went through drills normally on Tuesday. He still has the ankle noticeably reinforced and was near the back of the line in drills with the cornerbacks. However, it's an encouraging sign he was out there and active at practice.
p.brown

Last edited:
I feel like QC should’ve been inside all along...jmo.
Thought the reasoning was that outside was easier to learn so that he could see the field sooner outside. Now, they have no choice because Bituli and HenryT cannot play every snap.

Reactions: Bret178
Thought the reasoning was that outside was easier to learn so that he could see the field sooner outside. Now, they have no choice because Bituli and HenryT cannot play every snap.

I agree. Position had decent depth at start of season. Coaches obviously not confident in JJP at this point.

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
I agree. Position had decent depth at start of season. Coaches obviously not confident in JJP at this point.
I read on one of the VN threads that JJPs labrum injury in the spring had set him back and that he missed a lot of summer conditioning which then slowed fall progress. That theory is more hopeful than some of the other explanations I have heard...so I’m going with that one!

Thanks for the post. Glad to see most of the injuries appear to be minor.

Sometimes it would be nice to read a thread and not read the "same ole same ole" negative stuff every single day. I know, I know, if play on the field were better. But dang, it doesn't take a blind person to see we're NOT in a good place. Now that I've vented slightly.....carry on, I'm sure you will. ;)

Last edited:
I feel like QC should’ve been inside all along...jmo.
No...not just yours. I think they may have been too optimistic on Bituli being back and Ignont and wanted to get some use of Crouch’s athletic ability. Didn’t work out.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710

VN Store

Back