We can beat Mississippi St.

Lol you’ve seen these boards.....nope your not the only one.

There’s 10,000 of you
And like 50 of me who thinks MSU is going to run it down Tennessee’s throat.
Kneejerk pessimism is no more reasonable than kneejerk optimism.

MSU isn't a very good team. The difference is that they had the team maturity to take care of a couple of cupcakes while UT experimented with the JG project and gave two "gimmes" away.

Should be an evenly matched game. They're similar defensively from a statistical standpoint. MSU has had a little more success offensively but it will be interesting how Maurer does with a game plan designed for him against a D that is significantly worse than UGA... and how the O in general does against a D much worse than UGA or UF.

This is a winnable game. MSU isn't UGA or UF... If UT is improving and Maurer takes a good step forward after his first start then this game is very winnable. MSU will run right at UT and probably have success. OTOH, UT can probably do the same to them and has better receivers and possibly a better passing game. MSU is last in the SEC in passing O. Again... not UGA, UF, or possibly even BYU in terms of offensive balance.

Devil’s advocate. If Mullen has been recruiting there for years before he left, and Moorhead is a pretty good coach, why won’t their depth just wear Tenn down. That is the reason I have heard all season for our loses. If we can improve from the 1st two games, why can’t they.
Now on the other hand, Maurer definitely put some hope in the team. I think they now believe they can play with other teams. I’m just not sure Tenn can score in the 30’s and I don’t think the Tenn D can stop State from scoring, especially in the 2nd half.

Kneejerk pessimism is no more reasonable than kneejerk optimism.

MSU isn't a very good team. The difference is that they had the team maturity to take care of a couple of cupcakes while UT experimented with the JG project and gave two "gimmes" away.

Should be an evenly matched game. They're similar defensively from a statistical standpoint. MSU has had a little more success offensively but it will be interesting how Maurer does with a game plan designed for him against a D that is significantly worse than UGA... and how the O in general does against a D much worse than UGA or UF.

This is a winnable game. MSU isn't UGA or UF... If UT is improving and Maurer takes a good step forward after his first start then this game is very winnable. MSU will run right at UT and probably have success. OTOH, UT can probably do the same to them and has better receivers and possibly a better passing game. MSU is last in the SEC in passing O. Again... not UGA, UF, or possibly even BYU in terms of offensive balance.

Unless I’m trying to be funny.....I usually give reasoning behind my “pessimism” and much like your post it’s usually far from a knee jerk reaction.

This game should certainly “be winnable” for Tennessee. However some people don’t seem to give MSU much credit, all while giving Tennessee more credit than they have earned.

Tennessee should be able to move the ball and score on MSU’s D. However MSU does score 30+ per game themselves. Tennessee is not very good vs the run and MSU runs the ball very well. “If” Tennessee has a hard time stopping the run, Saturday “could” be a rough game.

Reactions: ptclaus98
If we get up on them, they should not be able to come back on us. If we are behind or even at the half....might go like the Arkansas game a few years back where it felt like our D was on the field the entire second half...

Am I the only one that thinks we could very well win this weekend? Maurer will only get better and more confident, he threw for 259 2/1 against one of the best defenses in the country so no reason to think we won’t be even better against MSU. Our D is suspect but MSU doesn’t scare me offensively. In fact, MSU doesn’t scare me that much period. They beat up on their cupcakes, lost to a pedestrian Kansas State, was unimpressive vs a bad Kentucky team, and absolutely got destroyed against Auburn. Tell me I’m crazy.
I like your thinking and agree. Only concern is whether or not the team has enough character and maturity to build off the Georgia performance. If they can, they beat MissSt and build momentum for the homestretch vs everybody not named Alabama.

Reactions: stephp4ut
Unless I’m trying to be funny.....I usually give reasoning behind my “pessimism” and much like your post it’s usually far from a knee jerk reaction.

This game should certainly “be winnable” for Tennessee. However some people don’t seem to give MSU much credit, all while giving Tennessee more credit than they have earned.

Tennessee should be able to move the ball and score on MSU’s D. However MSU does score 30+ per game themselves. Tennessee is not very good vs the run and MSU runs the ball very well. “If” Tennessee has a hard time stopping the run, Saturday “could” be a rough game.

Blown out 56-23 vs Auburn....was 56-16 before a garbage td on their last possession of the game. Before that drive had 256 total yards.

Put up 28 points on a bad Kentucky defense. They gotta stop they run too and they’re not very good at it.

Hill is a stud running back but they’re shaky at QB with the transfer and/or True freshman.

Only Vandy has a worse total defense # in the SEC

If Tennessee can build off the Georgia game and Maurer continues to progress....and we play a clean game, we’ll beat them on Saturday imo.

th

However some people don’t seem to give MSU much credit, all while giving Tennessee more credit than they have earned.
you’ve done exactly the opposite

Tennessee is not very good vs the run and MSU runs the ball very well. “If” Tennessee has a hard time stopping the run, Saturday “could” be a rough game.
UTs pass game showed up against one of the nation’s best Ds. MSU has been as bad against the pass as UT has been against the run. If MSU doesn’t stop the pass then it could be over before their run game matters

Reactions: stephp4ut
Am I the only one that thinks we could very well win this weekend? Maurer will only get better and more confident, he threw for 259 2/1 against one of the best defenses in the country so no reason to think we won’t be even better against MSU. Our D is suspect but MSU doesn’t scare me offensively. In fact, MSU doesn’t scare me that much period. They beat up on their cupcakes, lost to a pedestrian Kansas State, was unimpressive vs a bad Kentucky team, and absolutely got destroyed against Auburn. Tell me I’m crazy.

Ok you're crazy

Oh man, someone with some sense on this board.

MSU has a RB Hill that averages 120 yards a game rushing. That’s 20 better than the next RB. He statistically leads in almost every category. Our run def is pretty bad. That’s not a good match up for us. So those thinking this is a pretty even matchup need to take of the glasses and look again. Can we win? Sure but we aren’t even.

Reactions: I40flyer
you’ve done exactly the opposite

UTs pass game showed up against one of the nation’s best Ds. MSU has been as bad against the pass as UT has been against the run. If MSU doesn’t stop the pass then it could be over before their run game matters

How have I done the opposite?

I said MSU scores 30 per game......which they do.

I said MSU has a good run game......which they do.

Not sure how that is giving MSU credit, where it is t earned......they do that, so it is certainly earned.

Tennessee had some good passing, for one quarter vs a great team. I have said Tennessee hasn’t shown they can do that consistently.......that is exactly where the “credit” is not earned......YET.

Hopefully this all changes.

Reactions: Ratvol
I like your thinking and agree. Only concern is whether or not the team has enough character and maturity to build off the Georgia performance. If they can, they beat MissSt and build momentum for the homestretch vs everybody not named Alabama.
Am I missing something? What momentum from the Georgia performance? Didn't we lose by like almost 30 points at home?

Reactions: I40flyer
Maurer will have to read blitzes and changing defenses this week which will be a tougher task. Miss State is a very physical team on both sides of the ball and UT isn't. Not a great matchup especially when you throw in the fact at how hard MIss State's RB runs. State also has a freshman QB who is not the greatest passer but he is mobile and runs very well. None of those are good match ups for UT's defense.

Vols will have to be able to run the ball to control some clock and open up the passing game. IF they can't do that, it does become Groundhog Day.

One thing going against us is that Miss State got 2 weeks to prepare for this game. Really wish we had played Georgia before the bye week, so we could've focused solely on Miss State for 2 weeks.

Am I missing something? What momentum from the Georgia performance? Didn't we lose by like almost 30 points at home?

That’s the new mantra around here......didn’t you get the memo?

“Tennessee was actually leading Georgia at one point.”

“Tennessee was only down 15 points for much of the second half.”

Wow......Tennessee and us fans have fallen hard. Seems strange just 3 years ago Tennessee was ranked in the top 10.

Reactions: troyntn71

VN Store

Back