End of Season QB Transfer?

Fatman Photos

Just a thought. If Mauer is the starting QB the rest of the way this year, baring injury, I think that Guarantano and Shrout both may transfer to get playing time. I don't see Shrout sticking around with a younger QB starting unless he just loves Tennessee Football and want's to play second fiddle. That would leave us with only Maurer and true Freshmen Bailey plus Hill as scholarship QB's.

Last edited:
Ok. First, it would leave us with Maurer, Bailey and Hill if the other 2 guys transfer. How many backup qb's do you want? And how many do you want to stick around just to be backups their entire career? It's the nature of the beast at this position. QB's transfer out of programs across the country every year for P.T. somewhere else. As long as the best one stays, who cares?

I'd expect both JG and Shrout to look for greener pastures. Bailey will battle it out with The Marauder.

If Maurer is doing good, which, I believe he will, I think if Baily finds another d1 college with a qb graduating or going to nfl he will go there, if not he will still be at ut. And if we were to win 5 more games, which is possible I don't see him coming. If we only win 1 or two more he still comes here

JG and Shrout likely transfer. If we have Hill, Maurer, and Bailey do we need another QB? I'd rather use that spot for another DL or LB

Lots of needs on defense, but I'm not sold on hill and Bailey is still unknown. We could probably mask some of the deficiencies on defense. I want no part of another year without experienced backups at QB.

If Maurer is doing good, which, I believe he will, I think if Baily finds another d1 college with a qb graduating or going to nfl he will go there, if not he will still be at ut. And if we were to win 5 more games, which is possible I don't see him coming. If we only win 1 or two more he still comes here

If Bailey runs from Maurer, he clearly isn't what we need.

Better add one more....hopefully grad transfer.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t......but I believe landing a good one may be difficult.

Tennessee will have 3 guys (in the listed scenario) all with legitimate chances to become the starter.

Not sure a “one year guy” wants to waste his only chance fighting in a 4 way QB battle.

Reactions: Lurker
If Bailey runs from Maurer, he clearly isn't what we need.
I agree, but I don’t think he will be “running” from Maurer. He is a good QB and get better at the next level. He is smart enough to see the future and that Tennessee will get better and better.

As a 2-year starter and Junior getting bumped for a freshman, JG's options are limited. He has no football career after college and would likely need to go to D-II for any chance as a starter.

He should stick it out as backup

If JG and JS transfer, the ideal play would be that Maurer starts, Hill is a respectable backup and Bailey redshirts.

I agree this would be ideal.

However Maurer has only made one start. We probably need to see what he does the rest of the season. He could become the designated backup (next season)......we just need to see more.

Reactions: Myrtleturtle
My thing is that Hill's stats at Md wasn't that impressive. 49% with 9 td and 4 Interceptions in 10 games in 2018 at Maryland.

Those are Backup numbers to me.
Passing Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
Maryland Big Ten FRQB 3 18 21 85.7 230 11.0 12.9 2 0 209.1
2018 Maryland Big Ten FRQB 10 84 170 49.4 1083 6.4 6.4 9 4 115.7
Career Maryland 13 102 191 53.4 1313 6.9 7.1 11 4 126.0

We need bailey , gotta have that competition , the best teams have elite depth at every position

Ok. First, it would leave us with Maurer, Bailey and Hill if the other 2 guys transfer. How many backup qb's do you want? And how many do you want to stick around just to be backups their entire career? It's the nature of the beast at this position. QB's transfer out of programs across the country every year for P.T. somewhere else. As long as the best one stays, who cares?

Typically, most teams like to keep about 4 scholly QBs on the team at any given time. Sometimes you get others who are at new positions but could still play QB in a pinch (Jennings).

You also ideally would have a good skill mix with two experienced Jrs & Srs and two inexperienced underclassmen. Then there are walk-on QBs 2-3 for emergency situations.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
….I think that Guarantano and Shrout both may transfer to get playing time....That would leave us with only Shrout and true Freshmen Bailey plus Hill as scholarship QB's.
What am I missing? If Shrout transfers, he won't be part of a Bailey/Hill situation.

JG may or may not transfer. He already graduated and is working on his Masters. Another year and he should have it. I honestly do not believe football holds a future for him and I am not saying that to take shots at the guy. Very few do make it. I would say there is probably plenty of opportunity in the world of careers outside of football waiting on him after he gets his Masters. No real need to transfer if a degree is your future and Tennessee is already paying for it.

Bailey is more than capable of beating out Maurer. I expect him to

Reactions: Remy
My thing is that Hill's stats at Md wasn't that impressive. 49% with 9 td and 4 Interceptions in 10 games in 2018 at Maryland.

Those are Backup numbers to me.
Passing Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
Maryland Big Ten FRQB 3 18 21 85.7 230 11.0 12.9 2 0 209.1
2018 Maryland Big Ten FRQB 10 84 170 49.4 1083 6.4 6.4 9 4 115.7
Career Maryland 13 102 191 53.4 1313 6.9 7.1 11 4 126.0

But he runs like Dobbs (with a cramp)!

He was a great running QB. Now with two ACLs, different knees I think, he may not be nearly as good of a runner.

VN Store

Back