Tennessee is the only P5 team left without an FBS win.

After Bryant, and then Stallings, Bama went through its own learning curve and litany of bad coaching hires. But then they got serious about matters, as in REAL serious. They identified who they believed was the best college coach in the country and went after him even though he was an NFL coach at that time. And they would not be distracted nor accept NO as an answer. They dedicated whatever it would take in resources to get their man, money was no issue. They made him the highest paid coach in the country. From the day they said enough is enough, lets go get the very best in the country, they never considered hiring a coach from a non power 5 ( Dooley, Jones) or a coach with no HC experience (Pruitt). They made those mistakes after Stallings and then some. They were ready and willing to fix things in the biggest way. The rest is history.

No problem with the historical record, but in order to be "more timely" I prefer to examine the program that is and was, while most of use have been alive. the old leather helmet days are cool, and we should respect what those guys did (and did for TN), but I'm not sure they mean that much to the average guy sitting in Neyland.
Ok if you go to 2000, UT has won139 games, if I added it correctly. Remove this year due to incomplete season the number is 138 for 19 seasons, 7.26, consistent with historical average.

Reactions: I40flyer
Ok if you go to 2000, UT has won139 games, if I added it correctly. Remove this year due to incomplete season the number is 138 for 19 seasons, 7.26, consistent with historical average.
So Pruitts first year was below average and it's looking as though his second year will be well below average.

Reactions: ShoalCreekVol
Ok remove Pruitt’s first year the average moves to 7.38, the only way you get to 9 wins average is to remove every year all the way back to 2005.
So the point is we can play with stats to make them say whatever we want.

The whole point was not a stats case but more a reality check that 9 wins has never been a historical average, 9 was the average for a period of about 15 years.
So you are advocating that tennessee fans should be happy with 7 wins every year because it fits in the historical average?

Given that may of those years they only played 9 games it would change a bit. Also a coach that has a 4 or 6 win season will mess up the average. But if that coach had 9-11 win seasons surrounding it, most fans would be willing to accept that average.

So you are advocating that tennessee fans should be happy with 7 wins every year because it fits in the historical average?

Given that may of those years they only played 9 games it would change a bit. Also a coach that has a 4 or 6 win season will mess up the average. But if that coach had 9-11 win seasons surrounding it, most fans would be willing to accept that average.
Not at all, just replying to the post about averaging 9 wins a year historically. UT historical win % is .725, so whether a 9 game, 11 game or 13 game season 9 wins has never been the norm.

Not at all, just replying to the post about averaging 9 wins a year historically. UT historical win % is .725, so whether a 9 game, 11 game or 13 game season 9 wins has never been the norm.
Yeah, the biggest issue is over the last decade that number has and continues to take a big hit.

I find it hard to believe our talent is THAT much worse than almost every team in the nation.

Our only "bad" loss is Georgia State. Florida and Georgia were expected losses. BYU should have been a win, but they are a decent team and at least it was close. Having said that, there is absolutely no excuse for losing to Georgia State. None.

Beat MSU and this goes away.

After Bryant, and then Stallings, Bama went through its own learning curve and litany of bad coaching hires. But then they got serious about matters, as in REAL serious. They identified who they believed was the best college coach in the country and went after him even though he was an NFL coach at that time. And they would not be distracted nor accept NO as an answer. They dedicated whatever it would take in resources to get their man, money was no issue. They made him the highest paid coach in the country. From the day they said enough is enough, lets go get the very best in the country, they never considered hiring a coach from a non power 5 ( Dooley, Jones) or a coach with no HC experience (Pruitt). They made those mistakes after Stallings and then some. They were ready and willing to fix things in the biggest way. The rest is history.

More than one way to skin a cat. See "Swinney, Dabo"

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
I know I am going to get flamed but, 2 of the 3 teams we have played are in the Top 10. The other one we lost to in OT. Go ahead and make this negative and yes I also consider every loss bad. Before anyone says for the 1,000,001 time I know we lost to Ga St. This kind of chit is as old as losing is. We the fans can't do anything about winning games but we could stop this bitching an moaning about things. Does anyone really think it is going to help? If whining related to winning we would be undefeated.

VN Store

Back