No turning this program around.

Guess you’ve
Vols never again will be a top 10 team, too much competition in the SEC for recruiting, kids don't want to live in Knoxville, facilities, coaching, money etc etc. Top 25 sure, playoffs even if expanded to 8, no I doubt it.

Top 25 and competitive week to week is fine by me.
guess you’ve never been to Athens , Gainesville or Tuscaloosa not exactly a metropolis. Knoxville is actually a cool college town.

Guys this crap has been on a downward spiral since 2007. 12 years of misery with a few 9 win seasons in there. It's getting worse for our football program. I dont see any way this program is going to be back to where it used to be. I used to love tennessee football and was excited every year for ut to start since I was a kid. From the 80s to now. I never thought we would be down this long. This program is in a very dangerous position right now. But ive become numb to it. When will the misery end?

I posted this (see below) on another thread, I think it is applicable here also.

"The landscape of college FB has changed drastically over the past 15 years. It was once a given that UT would have one of the top 3 recruiting classes in the SEC every single year, in spite of the fact that the state of Tenn was traditionally void of upper level talent. Fast forward to today and the irony is that as demographics have shifted across the nation, Tenn has witnessed a huge growth in talent while UT has been in an historic slide. Gone are the days when UT has a top 3 class annually, and that is more a reflection of the changing landscape.

The most significant factor in all these changes is of course television revenue. Conferences over the past 15 years have seen huge increases in the revenue received from television deals, and that revenue gets evenly divided amongst all members. No longer does UT and Bama have exclusive ownership of the best facilities in the southeast. No longer does UT have an annual FB budget which dwarfs its SEC brethren. And no longer does UT walk into NC, SC and GA and take their top players annually as they did in the past. Changes have been spreading across the entire country, not just the Southeast.

Its a new day, programs have to adapt to this changing landscape. Nebraska is a victim of this change and has not adjusted as needed. The Cornhuskers most likely will never return to their days of glory. Meanwhile some universities which were historically not very competitive have utilized these changes to revitalize and rebrand their programs in a very successful fashion"

All it takes is the right coach and for the boosters and administration to stay out of his way. It is that simple in theory, but obviously not so simple in practice.

I am as down as everyone else is, but we outplayed Georgia the first half of the game. There is talent on this team and more coming (I Hope) to work with. I do however believe that if the staff now can't turn it around, providing the future recruits keep committed, then yes we may never be back to where we once were.
people keep saying we out played georgia in the first half. the score was 26-14. yes we played better for most of the half but the last 5 minutes was back to futility hence the score 26-14. we did not out play Georgia in any shape or form or measurable content. they had 350 yards of offense.

LSU pretty much sucked until Saban got there and has been a top program ever since.
Florida was ho hum until Spurrier got there and has been a top program ever since. Couple bad years in there, but overall they have done very well.
Miami was a doormat until Schnellenberger got there.
The years between Switzer and Stoops Oklahoma was bad too.

My point is, the right coach can and does turn a program around. Eachof these programs had lean years, for some it was lots of lean years. Then the right guy put them on the right track and they have stayed there. We have to install a winning, don't give up culture. We currently don't have it. I am sure all the above schools went through the same thing. It took the right coach to implement change. Pruitt may or may not be the right guy, but to say there is no turning it around is just plain false.

“No turning this program around.”

I think it could be done with about 6 Liebherr LTM’s........heck I bet they could even turn the stadium around if you wanted.

Go ahead, give us your opinion. Be specific when you stated we could of won it all and what kept us from doing it.

In 2016 Tennessee certainly had enough talent to beat everyone except Bama (everyone on their schedule).

They lost to SC and Vandy that year which was unacceptable......and under achieving.

Reactions: tbh
In 2016 Tennessee certainly had enough talent to beat everyone except Bama (everyone on their schedule).

They lost to SC and Vandy that year which was unacceptable......and under achieving.
Without Dobbs we were a 500 team both years. Dobbs and Kamara covered for a lot of the teams defiencies as has been noted by many on Volnation the last couple of years.

people keep saying we out played georgia in the first half. the score was 26-14. yes we played better for most of the half but the last 5 minutes was back to futility hence the score 26-14. we did not out play Georgia in any shape or form or measurable content. they had 350 yards of offense.
And UGA was playing very conservative!

Without Dobbs we were a 500 team both years. Dobbs and Kamara covered for a lot of the teams defiencies as has been noted by many on Volnation the last couple of years.

Dobbs was the only reason Butch wasn’t fired in years 3 or 4.

But Tennessee still had enough talent to win every game except Bama, in 2016. All of Butch’s seasons were under achievements.

Also Pruitts 1st season and so far this year have also been under achievements.

Pruitt and Tennessee probably over achieved in one or maybe two games (last year).........however if you “can” beat Auburn and Kentucky (of last year)......then you certainly “can” beat SC & Vandy (possibly others).

Reactions: tbh
I suspect our facilities are not top 10, money invested is not top 10, players get paid every where I imagine, I played for the mighty Princeton Tigers almost 50 years ago, alumni would occasionally slip you a $20.
Back when players could get Summer jobs football players had all the spending money they wanted. They did not have to worry about getting paid by the colleges. I have been against paying players, the NCAA took away their ability to earn money, some of them did actually work. Today most players are strongly encouraged,required, to star on campus go to 2 sessions of Summer school and participate in Summer workouts. It is a catch 22 for the players and I have about changed my mind about the paying issue.

VN Store

Back