Tennessee is the only P5 team left without an FBS win.

I mean, we’ve all been saying that we are now UK with a bigger stadium. Vol football has been dead and buried for years. There are some of us that just won’t accept it.

Reactions: 08Vol
There are G5 teams without a win we are the only P5. G5 teams without a FBS win, we'd have: UConn, Old Dominion, UTEP, Bowling Green, Nothern Illinois, Colorado State, UNLV, South Alabama, Rice, Akron, and New Mexico State.
I believe we just found our new conference. Now here’s a question. 11 wins in this conference or 6-7 wins where we are. Which would fans prefer?

Reactions: VOL_Lyfe
I believe we just found our new conference. Now here’s a question. 11 wins in this conference or 6-7 wins where we are. Which would fans prefer?
6-7 wins, not this year. I guess you're talking about some time in the future.

Reactions: 08Vol
Talent has never been the issue. Its incompetent coaching and lack of development going all the way back to when Fulmer left.
Coaching and motivation. The motivation I'm speaking of is the type generated from within the ranks of team, teammate to teammate, upperclassmen to lowerclassmen-we've been lacking "It" for a while. The only time this year that I have seen genuine "Spark" was Saturday, I believe the reason was JG did not start.

6-7 wins, not this year. I guess you're talking about some time in the future.
My question is in this new conference of nobodies would fans here support it if we won 10-11 games annually or rather stay in SEC and average 6-8 per year?

My question is in this new conference of nobodies would fans here support it if we won 10-11 games annually or rather stay in SEC and average 6-8 per year?
I hope I do not live long enough to see UT turn our backs on the SEC-it is who we are.

Reactions: beamerman
815 wins in 115 years does not equate to 9 wins a year.
This season isn't exactly helping the number! The sad truth is, most UT Students weren't born the last time we won a NATY! And that is really sad.
or a SEC championship.

Last edited:
This season isn't exactly helping the number! The sad truth is, most UT Students weren't born the last time we won a NATY! And that is really sad.
True but remove this season and the average is still 7.14 wins vs 7.08 wins per season. Which is still second best in the SEC.

Reactions: I40flyer
The past is going to have to remain in the past. Whatever averages, records, etc... Tennessee has amassed over the years isn't relevant anymore.

The averages will likely continue to diminish and records will continue to fall.

Dang. I seriously didn't mean to be that depressing this morning.

Reactions: 'Boro-vol
True but remove this season and the average is still 7.14 wins vs 7.08 wins per season. Which is still second best in the SEC.
No problem with the historical record, but in order to be "more timely" I prefer to examine the program that is and was, while most of use have been alive. the old leather helmet days are cool, and we should respect what those guys did (and did for TN), but I'm not sure they mean that much to the average guy sitting in Neyland.

We are the only top 10 football program (budget, stadium capacity, fanbase size) that can't beat Vanderbilt. If they lose to them again this year they should disband the football program. It's a very important game for the Vols.

The landscape of college FB has changed drastically over the past 15 years. It was once a given that UT would have one of the top 3 recruiting classes in the SEC every single year, in spite of the fact that the state of Tenn was traditionally void of upper level talent. Fast forward to today and the irony is that as demographics have shifted across the nation, Tenn has witnessed a huge growth in talent while UT has been in an historic slide. Gone are the days when UT has a top 3 class annually, and that is more a reflection of the changing landscape.

The most significant factor in all these changes is of course television revenue. Conferences over the past 15 years have seen huge increases in the revenue received from television deals, and that revenue gets evenly divided amongst all members. No longer does UT and Bama have exclusive ownership of the best facilities in the southeast. No longer does UT have an annual FB budget which dwarfs its SEC brethren. And no longer does UT walk into NC, SC and GA and take their top players annually as they did in the past. Changes have been spreading across the entire country, not just the Southeast.

Its a new day, programs have to adapt to this changing landscape. Nebraska is a victim of this change and has not adjusted as needed. The Cornhuskers most likely will never return to their days of glory. Meanwhile some universities which were historically not very competitive have utilized these changes to revitalize and rebrand their programs in a very successful fashion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mtnvol80
The landscape of college FB has changed drastically over the past 15 years. It was once a given that UT would have one of the top 3 recruiting classes in the SEC every single year, in spite of the fact that the state of Tenn was traditionally void of upper level talent. Fast forward to today and the irony is that as demographics have shifted across the nation, Tenn has witnessed a huge growth in talent while UT has been in an historic slide. Gone are the days when UT has a top 3 class annually, and that is more a reflection of the changing landscape.

The most significant factor in all these changes is of course television revenue. Conferences over the past 15 years have seen huge increases in the revenue received from television deals, and that revenue gets evenly divided amongst all members. No longer does UT and Bama have exclusive ownership of the best facilities in the southeast. No longer does UT have an annual FB budget which dwarfs its SEC brethren. And no longer does UT walk into NC, SC and GA and take their top players annually. Changes have been spreading across the entire country, not just the Southeast.
BAMA seems to have found a way to stay relevant, TN has not.

VN Store

Back