Question I'd Love Answered

The sad truth is the only way recruiting doesn’t take a huge hit this next cycle is for Pruitt to find a way to beat MSU, SCAR, UAB, UK, and Vandy. A strong finish shows that this team is getting better in year 2, instead of regressing.

A toxic culture with players fighting on the side line during a game (very different from fights during practice) is not a good look for recruits. Players being harassed by local police and media then kicked off the team for non violent or drug issues doesn’t look good to recruits. Players talking bad about the program before being kicked off the team doesn’t look good to recruits. A coach saying his current players aren’t good enough to win during half time of a nationally televised game doesn’t look good to recruits.

Probably not going to get any elite out of state kids who aren't already committed to the Vols. Can't risk any questionable character guys after Banks episode. Can't risk academic borderline guys due to 25 limit. Basically, the staff has to bore down very hard on in state kids and hope they can sell the state pride angle even though our whole staff is a bunch a mercenaries and the only VFL left his home state of Alabama to play for UTK. Outlook is grim.

The sad truth is the only way recruiting doesn’t take a huge hit this next cycle is for Pruitt to find a way to beat MSU, SCAR, UAB, UK, and Vandy. A strong finish shows that this team is getting better in year 2, instead of regressing.

A toxic culture with players fighting on the side line during a game (very different from fights during practice) is not a good look for recruits. Players being harassed by local police and media then kicked off the team for non violent or drug issues doesn’t look good to recruits. Players talking bad about the program before being kicked off the team doesn’t look good to recruits. A coach saying his current players aren’t good enough to win during half time of a nationally televised game doesn’t look good to recruits.
I should have prefaced my post by stating that getting to 6 wins might keep us in the hunt for some real blue chips. The early losses will still hurt, just not as much.

Reactions: 08Vol
Probably not going to get any elite out of state kids who aren't already committed to the Vols. Can't risk any questionable character guys after Banks episode. Can't risk academic borderline guys due to 25 limit. Basically, the staff has to bore down very hard on in state kids and hope they can sell the state pride angle even though our whole staff is a bunch a mercenaries and the only VFL left his home state of Alabama to play for UTK. Outlook is grim.
How many coaching staffs aren’t “mercenaries?”
GBO!!

Saban also had a team with experience and 1st, 2nd and 3rd round draft pick offensive lineman on it.
Bama had good talent when Saban got that job. Not elite from top to bottom, but that was a talented team he inherited, that was under-coached with Shula.
Your statement is 100% false...Saban's first year he had NO players drafted in the first 3 rounds (2007)..In his 2nd year (2008) he actually had NO players drafted...Saban built his team (very quickly I might add)..Nice excuse though!

Reactions: VolArmy74 and 08Vol
Your statement is 100% false...Saban's first year he had NO players drafted in the first 3 rounds (2007)..In his 2nd year (2008) he actually had NO players drafted...Saban built his team (very quickly I might add)..Nice excuse though!

No there were a few great players on that team he inherited. To include Andre Smith a 1st round NFL draft pick.

Bobby greenwood, there were a few more I’ll have to go look back. But that team especially on the oline was loaded when Saban got there.

How he was able to turn it around so quickly.

Many said the same thing last year and the class wound up pretty good. Just wait.
Yep agreed and I still can see us winning an SEC game or two. Pruitt brought some of this shi storm on himself by hanging with JG as long as he did. The decision making between the two is night and day. Not saying I know more than Pruitt but that is my thought only. We lost two game we should not have but it is what it is. He recruited Mauer so he had to have some idea about him I was glad to see JG show some maturity with Mauer and hope it continues. He can move on after this year as a grad transfer but looks like Rutgers QB is redshirting this year. JMHO as always! SCCSS

Don't dwell on class rankings in midseason.

Fact of the matter is that Pruitt and Co. can offer immediately playing time and a successful development of players that he and them go out and get. Outside of Jennings, Callaway, and Chandler, the best players are his guys and they are getting better.

Sure the wins are coming, but there are a few games UF and UGA that lack of depth is the main reason for the losses. UF was also inadequate QB play as well.

BYU was truly a gaffe there at the end, but there were 3-4 plays on offense that the QB messed up and we kept BYU in it.

Pruitt and this staff have been solid everywhere they have been. They didn't just wake up and forget how to coach.

This was a big weekend for recruiting and we kept it close 75% of the game. Not great and not one for moral victories, but we lost that game partially due to lack of depth on defense in the 4th quarter. Plenty of defensive recruits in attendance that would see that as well. Especially the trio from Memphis.

Reactions: USMC-TNVOL
No there were a few great players on that team he inherited. To include Andre Smith a 1st round NFL draft pick.

Bobby greenwood, there were a few more I’ll have to go look back. But that team especially on the oline was loaded when Saban got there.

How he was able to turn it around so quickly.
Again your statement is 100% false...Alabama only had 3 players drafted in Saban's first two years and NONE of those were in the first 3 rounds...Saban had a 4th rounder and two 7th rounders drafted in his first two years...That is about as low as a team can go..In fact if UT has just ONE player drafted this year, CJP will have more drafted than Saban did..And the 4 recruiting classes that Saban inherited were #13, #16, #41, and #47..compare that to CJP inheriting 4 top 20 classes..sometimes coaching can make a difference!

Reactions: VolArmy74 and 08Vol
We're hearing that Pruitt needs more time. More time to recruit quality players. We're 25th on rivals. Only 14 commits. 11th in the SEC. Honestly, what quality players are going consider us when the product is so bad in year 2? He can't sell his 'vision' when we're worse this year than last, and every other team will easily be able to trash this staff on the trail. Please explain.
He needs players who are used to winning and willing to scrap for it. It’s more a cultural thing than anything. He only has a years worth of those players that he’s recruited. He needs 2-3 more classes

...Pruitt brought some of this shi storm on himself by hanging with JG as long as he did...

It may be a stretch for any of us to assume that BM is the same player today than when fall camp opened. Maybe the coaches felt he has just now developed enough and grown enough in the offense to play the whole game? If the coaches really are playing the players they believe give them the best chance to win, it makes sense to me that BM could have improved enough over the last 4-5 weeks to become one of those players.

Not sure about Pruitt and staff closing the deal on recruits. He got a few last year. In 2 years he has gotten several big names to visit, but a lot went somewhere else. I think the fact those guys interviewed, have committed to Ark and Miss St shows just how competitive SEC recruiting is. Probably the same in big10 and pac 12 country.

Not sure about Pruitt and staff closing the deal on recruits. He got a few last year. In 2 years he has gotten several big names to visit, but a lot went somewhere else. I think the fact those guys interviewed, have committed to Ark and Miss St shows just how competitive SEC recruiting is. Probably the same in big10 and pac 12 country.
Not really. The staff didn't press on the French kid early and just offered McDonald in the buy week.

It may be a stretch for any of us to assume that BM is the same player today than when fall camp opened. Maybe the coaches felt he has just now developed enough and grown enough in the offense to play the whole game? If the coaches really are playing the players they believe give them the best chance to win, it makes sense to me that BM could have improved enough over the last 4-5 weeks to become one of those players.
Ok maybe

We heard Dooley needed a 3rd year for recruiting. We heard Jones needed a 5th year for recruiting. In both cases recruiting dried up, and the program was set back further. Does anyone think we'll be able to finish with a top 15-20 class if we go 4-8 or worse? If not, how are we going to be better?

He needs players who are used to winning and willing to scrap for it. It’s more a cultural thing than anything. He only has a years worth of those players that he’s recruited. He needs 2-3 more classes

I got it. We need better players. No duh. The question is- HOW is going get these players?

Yep agreed and I still can see us winning an SEC game or two. Pruitt brought some of this shi storm on himself by hanging with JG as long as he did. The decision making between the two is night and day. Not saying I know more than Pruitt but that is my thought only. We lost two game we should not have but it is what it is. He recruited Mauer so he had to have some idea about him I was glad to see JG show some maturity with Mauer and hope it continues. He can move on after this year as a grad transfer but looks like Rutgers QB is redshirting this year. JMHO as always! SCCSS

I agree with you here. But I just think its not as easy as saying well Maurer played well and he should have been starting. We heard reports in practice that JG was playing well. So as a coach, how do you look at a guy out performing his competition in practice and say oh well the other guy is better? Seems like that would be a tough decision.

I think Maurer will only continue to improve. He showed moxie, good vision and a good skill set. I mean he was thrown into the fire and quite honestly he played well. I think if Maurer continues to improve like I think he will, he could end up being a really special,player.

You have 3 coaches on this team who have been 24/7 National Recruiters of the Year - Pruitt, Tee and Niedermeyer (done last year at UT no less). Somehow, I think they know more than we do about what it takes to get kids here who want to play. Right now, we are low because we dont have many commitments compared to many others. We are in on a lot of top talent but many of the top talent kids may be picking and choosing and seeing how our season goes before they make a verbal. Where we are today on the recruiting trail says nothing on how we will end up this year. As long as recruits see improvement from the freshmen class + open slot playing time, you can bet your tuchus that this staff will haul in another awesome bunch of freshmen by NSD.

Wasn't Ansley one as well?

Question I still want answered.
Did we REALLY lose to Georgia State?

(In before someone tells me to ‘get over it’. nope)

Had Brian Maurer played that game, we beat GA State by 3 or 4 tds.

Guess who our starting QB is now????

Yes, GET OVER IT.

If I were recruiting players:

(1) we really, really need you

(2) you will probably start day 1....I'm not afraid to start a true freshman

(3) you will get plenty of playing time
Of course the winning programs will say:
If you go to TN you may start playing right away, no red shirt-you'll be going up against the best in country with many years of experience, years with great coaches in our weight training facility, your chance of getting hurt will be among the highest NCAA.
Your playing time could be cut very short, and any hope you may have playing pro could disappear if you take the kind of hits, guys in our program hand out to 19 year old wannabees.
I'm not sure this is the best way to recruit against the likes of GA, BAMA, FL, etc.

VN Store

Back